F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 Coding
Extreme Powerhouse

10-30-2020, 07:22 AM   #1
RosscoeP
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2018

F30 Coding

Hi all,

Sorry i'm new to this forum, and the topic, so apologies if this is a common thread. Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

I recently bought a 2018 330e and I never realised you could code in extra features (or changes to settings). The two key things I wanted to do was turn off the ASS functionality, and keep the exhaust flap open.

I bought the Veepeak OBDcheck BLE+ and then bought the Bimmercode app. I tried all the settings (without going into Expert) to get the ASS off but it wouldn't work (I got an "ASS failure" message from the car which i've not seen anyone report in any forums). I had emails with Bimmercode Support and they've finally come back saying they don't know why it's not working, and refunded my app purchase (which is very fair of them of course). I was also told that there was no way to code the exhaust flap to open permanently.

Can anyone advise on what I should do now to try and achieve these two changes. Certainly getting the ASS off is the priority! Do I try another app, do I need a different OBD now too? I'm lost as to what my next steps are.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
zibbit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i

Auto Start Stop (ASS) remembering last setting should be able to be coded through your dealer. A note even when it's set to remember, if you go to ECO-mode, it'll turn on system. You must stay in either Comfort, Sport, or Sport+ for the system to remember.

Regarding the Exhaust valve.

Unfortunately, you can't code the valve to be open all the time. Bimmerlink will allow you to open the exhaust valve; however, the app must be running and the Veepeak dongle must plugged into the OBD port to take advantage of that feature.

Another way to do it is using a tuner like the JB4, which will override the ECU's control of the valve. Again, this must be plugged in all the time to the OBD port on the car. If you're still under warranty, this could cause an issue.

Or, you could try the old standby method and wait for the valve to open on a cold start, then unplug the connector. Note, it might throw a shadow code, and you should probably find a way to keep the connector clean/dry so it doesn't corrode and screw the next guy who buys your car.

Last edited by zibbit; 10-30-2020 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbit View Post
Auto Start Stop (ASS) remembering last setting should be able to be coded through your dealer. A note even when it's set to remember, if you go to ECO-mode, it'll turn on system. You must stay in either Comfort, Sport, or Sport+ for the system to remember.

It is also possible to code that the ASS not reactivates when switching to eco mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Bimmercode ASS coding is in Front Electronic Module>Auto Start Stop Function. Your inability to code ASS may be related to having the E version of the 330.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
RosscoeP
Rep

Thanks all... I really appreciate your replies!

So I’ve done the ASS settings and it never worked, I got this “ASS failure” message which I’m not sure should happen but certain I did all the settings on Bimmercode and it still didn’t work. I wonder if indeed it’s not possible because of it being a 330e. If that’s the case then no point in me having Bimmercode or now getting Carly.

With the exhaust flap I did see the YouTube video about unplugging the connector when you’re sure it is open (that may be a challenge in itself) and then wrapping and waterproofing etc.

If anyone has done either of these changes with a 330e I would love to hear how it went. Otherwise thanks again to the feedback here so far
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't say there's no point in having Bimmercode. I've lost track of how many items I've coded, at least twenty, and the ASS setting wasn't one of them. I wouldn't get Carly, the need to keep paying for it monthly is ridiculous. Bimmer-tool Lite is a very useful app to have, and it's freeware.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 03:13 AM   #7
RosscoeP
Rep

Okay thanks for that Billfitz... good points.

I'm so disappointed that Bimmercode didn't work to shut ASS off... I want to find another way. I see there are companies who do it, some remotely or presumably a dealership would do it and be reliable though very expensive
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I bet the problem is that you have an e. My ASS remembers the last setting, so unless I use ECO, which I never do, it's always off. I never had to code this, the option was in my iDrive.
Appreciate 0