F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > XHP Trans Tune - Experiences and reviews?
ARMA SPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #177
Abzynthe
Lieutenant Colonel
Abzynthe's Avatar
United Kingdom
900
Rep
1,684
Posts

Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
I've just flashed stage 3 on my gearbox. Anyone have any suggestions of tweaks over the OTS map?

Ive only driven about 10 miles and if I'm honest, it doesn't feel hugely different at the moment. Shifts are probably smoother in comfort and shift are marginally faster in sport.
The main reason I got it was because my car would try and sit at about 1k rpm and this would cause the car to chug when accelerating after cruising for a while. It now seems to sit at about 1100rpm, which is better, but I'd like it to go up another 100rpm or so.
As per directions you need to drive with no WOT for about 100 or so miles for the trans to adapt after the initial flash. During this time shifts can be a bit funky as everything adapts and sorts it self out. Changing settings and re flashing does not require this adaptation process.

After you put on that 100 miles driving slow put it in sport + and trans in sport. You will definitely feel the difference. It's pretty crazy when it shifts. Also try manual shifts as they are even faster.

What exactly are you looking to tweak? Most people just flash and are done and don't mess with it.

If you are dme tuned as well "start in 2nd gear" is popular to enable.
I didn't realise it was 100 miles. That will probably take me a month to do haha.
I've had a little play with it today and made it shift sooner in the low gears changes by a few % and raised the % on the change down on higher gears just to keep the revs over 1000.
The main problem I was having was that when cruising along at 30mph or 70mph it would be fine, but if I were to accelerate, but not enough to kick down, then the car would lug and judder until it got on boost. I want to eliminate the lugging. Everything else I'm fine with, and overall I'm quite happy with the new map.
__________________
Previous: 2010 F01 740d M Sport | 2015 F36 420d M Sport
Current: 2018 F36 440i M Sport (Stage 1 BM3, xHP stage 3)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #178
Skyhigh
Colonel
Skyhigh's Avatar
1103
Rep
2,532
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
I've just flashed stage 3 on my gearbox. Anyone have any suggestions of tweaks over the OTS map?

Ive only driven about 10 miles and if I'm honest, it doesn't feel hugely different at the moment. Shifts are probably smoother in comfort and shift are marginally faster in sport.
The main reason I got it was because my car would try and sit at about 1k rpm and this would cause the car to chug when accelerating after cruising for a while. It now seems to sit at about 1100rpm, which is better, but I'd like it to go up another 100rpm or so.
As per directions you need to drive with no WOT for about 100 or so miles for the trans to adapt after the initial flash. During this time shifts can be a bit funky as everything adapts and sorts it self out. Changing settings and re flashing does not require this adaptation process.

After you put on that 100 miles driving slow put it in sport + and trans in sport. You will definitely feel the difference. It's pretty crazy when it shifts. Also try manual shifts as they are even faster.

What exactly are you looking to tweak? Most people just flash and are done and don't mess with it.

If you are dme tuned as well "start in 2nd gear" is popular to enable.
I didn't realise it was 100 miles. That will probably take me a month to do haha.
I've had a little play with it today and made it shift sooner in the low gears changes by a few % and raised the % on the change down on higher gears just to keep the revs over 1000.
The main problem I was having was that when cruising along at 30mph or 70mph it would be fine, but if I were to accelerate, but not enough to kick down, then the car would lug and judder until it got on boost. I want to eliminate the lugging. Everything else I'm fine with, and overall I'm quite happy with the new map.
I wonder…. You are installing a new gearbox (or engine) software! Potentially catastrophic effect if done wrongly! Do you guys not bother to at least read the "ReadMe" file a.k.a. Installation manual!?
Just me?
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 11:28 AM   #179
Rdurty2
New Member
5
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
I didn't realise it was 100 miles. That will probably take me a month to do haha.
I've had a little play with it today and made it shift sooner in the low gears changes by a few % and raised the % on the change down on higher gears just to keep the revs over 1000.
The main problem I was having was that when cruising along at 30mph or 70mph it would be fine, but if I were to accelerate, but not enough to kick down, then the car would lug and judder until it got on boost. I want to eliminate the lugging. Everything else I'm fine with, and overall I'm quite happy with the new map.
I was wrong, 50-75 miles. You shouldn't be changing anything during this time.

Straight from XHP's FAQ:

Do I need to do a run-in-phase?
We do recommend around 50-75 miles of driving without wide open throttle, with varying speed, load scenarios and shifts, so the transmission can adapt to the new software as fast as possible.
This driving-in-phase is only recommended after the initial xHP flash and not needed for subsequent flashes, like map changes or different custom settings etc.

I just flashed my transmission, but the shifts are bad.
Your transmission may behave weird, right after flash, e.g. starting in 3rd. gear. This issue should clear within a few hundred meters of driving. The transmission has extensive adaption-algorithms, to keep shift quality in check over a full life time and even with heavily worn out clutches. The adaptions applied are very sensitive to abrupt changes, as they operate in a narrow window. Therefore, shift quality can suffer in the first few hundred miles, after doing an oil-change, replacing transmission hardware, or changing the TCU software, like with xHP. Donít overstress your transmission during this adaption phase. The best way to adapt your transmission, is just normal driving in D mode with lots of varying speeds and shifts. We DO NOT advise anybody to clear the adaption values to speed up the process. Depending on the current wear state of your transmission, this can lead to unwanted and permanent bad results.
Appreciate 1
Abzynthe900.00
      10-15-2021, 09:54 PM   #180
Glemm1970
Second Lieutenant
Glemm1970's Avatar
Russia
235
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: BMW M140IX.
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Vladivostok

iTrader: (0)

Xhp Drag Mod mode test. On the street + 15C. The road is simple asphalt. Target 28 psi. Tim 17. E35 / WMI Port. Start from 2nd gear 3000 rpm. The total weight of the car with a driver is 1720kg. X-Drive.
Attached Images
 
__________________
M140IX. Turbo VTT GС,Flash Wedge Steven+JB4.
xHP stage 3.Drag Mod. CSF. Dorch 2. E35+WMI Port. 1620kg. 0-100 2.83s 1/4ml 10.22s. 100/200 5.51s 0C.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #181
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Jnat's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240XI
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Jersey Shore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glemm1970 View Post
Xhp Drag Mod mode test. On the street + 15C. The road is simple asphalt. Target 28 psi. Tim 17. E35 / WMI Port. Start from 2nd gear 3000 rpm. The total weight of the car with a driver is 1720kg. X-Drive.
So a .3 improvement on 1/4 and (5kmph) negative on speed, am i seeing that correctly?
__________________
2017 M240XI Mineral Grey - MHD Stg2 95octmap/CTS Catted DP/ Small spacer 02#2/94201's gapped .026/AFE Dry flow/XHP Stg3 ***
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #182
gameson
Second Lieutenant
38
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: N20 BMW 320i
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreculah View Post
I'm going to wait a couple of years to see if the tune grenades the transmission.
Just curious to check if there is any failure in regards of this xhp tune
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #183
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Jnat's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240XI
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Jersey Shore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
Just curious to check if there is any failure in regards of this xhp tune
Haven't read of any. I've ran it for many years on my M235xi and M240xi and drive hard, combined 40-50 thousand miles driven aggressively. I am curious about this new drag option as it sounds great, just would be concerned about how brutal it is on the transmission life span.
__________________
2017 M240XI Mineral Grey - MHD Stg2 95octmap/CTS Catted DP/ Small spacer 02#2/94201's gapped .026/AFE Dry flow/XHP Stg3 ***

Last edited by Jnat; 10-16-2021 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 09:52 AM   #184
gameson
Second Lieutenant
38
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: N20 BMW 320i
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnat View Post
Haven't read of any. I've ran it for many years and drive hard, no problems.I am curious about this new drag option as it sounds great, just would be concerned about how brutal it is on the transmission life span.
how many years have you run xhp tune?

I assume all F3X series use the same transmission (all engine type)?

Thanks.

Last edited by gameson; 10-16-2021 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #185
Skyhigh
Colonel
Skyhigh's Avatar
1103
Rep
2,532
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Much more relevant - how many Kilometers?

I am pretty sure you can safely have any tune for 100 years if you leave the car in the garage
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 11:22 AM   #186
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Jnat's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240XI
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Jersey Shore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Much more relevant - how many Kilometers?

I am pretty sure you can safely have any tune for 100 years if you leave the car in the garage
Ok, M235xi and M240xi, driven hard, 40-50 thousand miles combined on XHP, performed normally...
__________________
2017 M240XI Mineral Grey - MHD Stg2 95octmap/CTS Catted DP/ Small spacer 02#2/94201's gapped .026/AFE Dry flow/XHP Stg3 ***

Last edited by Jnat; 10-16-2021 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1103.00
      10-16-2021, 02:24 PM   #187
Uni-Rapide
Private
Uni-Rapide's Avatar
Netherlands
47
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: 2019 F30 340i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
Just curious to check if there is any failure in regards of this xhp tune
Haven't read of any. I've ran it for many years on my M235xi and M240xi and drive hard, combined 40-50 thousand miles driven aggressively. I am curious about this new drag option as it sounds great, just would be concerned about how brutal it is on the transmission life span.
Haven't really tested it like Glemm but you can really feel the lack of torque reduction, car jumps forward on upshifts during spirited driving. Haven't done any WOT upshifts yet.
__________________
Mods: 19" HRE FF15, M Performance diffuser, Bilstein B16 Damptronic, VRSF catted downpipe, Remus catback, Dorch St1, Pure 800
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #188
gameson
Second Lieutenant
38
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: N20 BMW 320i
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

What is WOT? I only know one meaning of WOT and I don’t think that’s what you mean here ��
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 02:45 PM   #189
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Jnat's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240XI
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Jersey Shore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni-Rapide View Post
Haven't really tested it like Glemm but you can really feel the lack of torque reduction, car jumps forward on upshifts during spirited driving. Haven't done any WOT upshifts yet.
Sounds like using this daily probably not the right idea for me.
i guess time will tell on the wear end of it...
__________________
2017 M240XI Mineral Grey - MHD Stg2 95octmap/CTS Catted DP/ Small spacer 02#2/94201's gapped .026/AFE Dry flow/XHP Stg3 ***
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 02:47 PM   #190
Uni-Rapide
Private
Uni-Rapide's Avatar
Netherlands
47
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: 2019 F30 340i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
What is WOT? I only know one meaning of WOT and I don't think that's what you mean here ��
Wide open throttle
__________________
Mods: 19" HRE FF15, M Performance diffuser, Bilstein B16 Damptronic, VRSF catted downpipe, Remus catback, Dorch St1, Pure 800
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 05:20 PM   #191
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Jnat's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240XI
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Jersey Shore

iTrader: (0)

I just tried it and wow, very impressive response in all aspects...
Great job XHP
But, i will not be using 24/7 as it's abrupt... which is good
__________________
2017 M240XI Mineral Grey - MHD Stg2 95octmap/CTS Catted DP/ Small spacer 02#2/94201's gapped .026/AFE Dry flow/XHP Stg3 ***
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 11:34 AM   #192
Abzynthe
Lieutenant Colonel
Abzynthe's Avatar
United Kingdom
900
Rep
1,684
Posts

Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Cambridgeshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Much more relevant - how many Kilometers?

I am pretty sure you can safely have any tune for 100 years if you leave the car in the garage
I'm pretty safe then
__________________
Previous: 2010 F01 740d M Sport | 2015 F36 420d M Sport
Current: 2018 F36 440i M Sport (Stage 1 BM3, xHP stage 3)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 09:00 PM   #193
Glemm1970
Second Lieutenant
Glemm1970's Avatar
Russia
235
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: BMW M140IX.
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Vladivostok

iTrader: (0)

100-200 3/4/5 gear. Drag Mod Ok.
Attached Images
 
__________________
M140IX. Turbo VTT GС,Flash Wedge Steven+JB4.
xHP stage 3.Drag Mod. CSF. Dorch 2. E35+WMI Port. 1620kg. 0-100 2.83s 1/4ml 10.22s. 100/200 5.51s 0C.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:03 AM   #194
WDE82
Captain
United_States
509
Rep
850
Posts

Drives: 2018 440iGC F36
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Torrance, CA

iTrader: (0)

I've decided I'm doing xhp before I even do MHD. The transmission has a much bigger impact on driver experience than a boost of 10-20% hp. This car so much faster than I can utilize in my DD patterns already that I think the extra 50-60 hp from Stage 1 will be largely wasted if I do it first.

My iPhone Ethernet adapter comes tomorrow
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 03:15 AM   #195
Skyhigh
Colonel
Skyhigh's Avatar
1103
Rep
2,532
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
I've decided I'm doing xhp before I even do MHD. The transmission has a much bigger impact on driver experience than a boost of 10-20% hp. This car so much faster than I can utilize in my DD patterns already that I think the extra 50-60 hp from Stage 1 will be largely wasted if I do it first.

My iPhone Ethernet adapter comes tomorrow
Please share your immediate experience, as I am intending to do the same very soon.
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 1
WDE82509.00
      10-19-2021, 05:58 AM   #196
T_H_O_M_A_S
Second Lieutenant
177
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: M135xi
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
I've decided I'm doing xhp before I even do MHD. The transmission has a much bigger impact on driver experience than a boost of 10-20% hp. This car so much faster than I can utilize in my DD patterns already that I think the extra 50-60 hp from Stage 1 will be largely wasted if I do it first.

My iPhone Ethernet adapter comes tomorrow
you wont shave off 2 seconds from a 100 to 200 kph with only a trans tune

i like the take off in second gear and uplifted shift rpms in comfort ( ive raised them by 20 percent ) . i dont do 0-60 launches .
__________________
M140i DP , OPF delete , MHD stg2 93oct , xhp stg3
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:44 AM   #197
WDE82
Captain
United_States
509
Rep
850
Posts

Drives: 2018 440iGC F36
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Torrance, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_H_O_M_A_S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
I've decided I'm doing xhp before I even do MHD. The transmission has a much bigger impact on driver experience than a boost of 10-20% hp. This car so much faster than I can utilize in my DD patterns already that I think the extra 50-60 hp from Stage 1 will be largely wasted if I do it first.

My iPhone Ethernet adapter comes tomorrow
you wont shave off 2 seconds from a 100 to 200 kph with only a trans tune

i like the take off in second gear and uplifted shift rpms in comfort ( ive raised them by 20 percent ) . i dont do 0-60 launches .
I had a 6 speed 128i for 5 years and the ZF in this car takes a little away from the enjoyment right now so if I can customize it to fit my driving style, it'll bring most of that back. I have not once felt like this car lacked power even on the interstate. It'll blow the doors off just about anything. So I can wait a little longer for power mods.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #198
Uni-Rapide
Private
Uni-Rapide's Avatar
Netherlands
47
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: 2019 F30 340i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

I don't dare to run stage 3 anymore. At a certain point in time the downshifts were so harsh in S-mode and M-mode it was really like banging in the gears, especially from 5 to 4 it was really bad. You could even hear it.
So first went back to stage 2 but that didn't help much, so back to stage 1. Did that for a while and then tried stage 2 again. After another while tried stage 3 but then altered the throttle blips to try and make it a bit smoother. That seemed to help quite a bit however downshifts were still quite harsh.
Last week went back to stock and I will keep it that way for a while hoping for that the trans will re-adapt. Even now in stock the downshifts in m-mode are not smooth (upshifts are), but to be honest I don't remember if they ever were?

However I don't know how long I can live without the custom shift settings for comfort mode. The ridiculously low shiftpoints drive me crazy. I don't understand how people can drive like that...
__________________
Mods: 19" HRE FF15, M Performance diffuser, Bilstein B16 Damptronic, VRSF catted downpipe, Remus catback, Dorch St1, Pure 800
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST