F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Engine: please post your experience, including problems / resolutions
ARMA SPEED

08-01-2019, 08:25 PM   #441
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonnblack View Post
44k and no issues especially with the motor.

Only issue i have is while accelerating, there is a tin can ticking type noise. At a stop it's gone, cruising with no real throttle input it's gonna. And it does NOT increase or decrease with rpm.

I'm having massive trouble finding out what it is.
Any insights from the dealer about this ticking sound?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 02:06 AM   #442
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
44k and no issues especially with the motor.

Only issue i have is while accelerating, there is a tin can ticking type noise. At a stop it's gone, cruising with no real throttle input it's gonna. And it does NOT increase or decrease with rpm.

I'm having massive trouble finding out what it is.
Like rattling small rocks in a tin can?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #443
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT/e46 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Any insights from the dealer about this ticking sound?
I'm not under factory anymore, I'm second owner and i haven't had time to take it in for the small extended warranty it has from where i bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjaman View Post

Like rattling small rocks in a tin can?
That's quite a good description. Sometimes there sometimes not.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #444
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's 100% pre-ignition detonation. Or pinging.

Low quality fuel.

Test it with higher quality fuel, or if you can't get better fuel - use octane booster.

Are you running stock tune?

Last edited by CrushJelly; 08-03-2019 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #445
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT/e46 330xi

Quote:
Quote:
That's 100% pre-ignition detonation. Or pinging.

Low quality fuel.

Test it with higher quality fuel, or if you can't get better fuel - use octane booster.

Are you running stock tune?
Interesting. Ive only had the car for a month so I'm assuming it's stock. but previous owner could have left it. I'll throw octane booster in it and see what happens as only 91 is available here. Also I'm in Nevada so it's acn fuel. I'll also check a data log since i just got mhd but haven't loaded anything yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:43 PM   #446
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep

It can still happen on stock tune, particularly if the transmission ECU is programmed to hold on to higher gears and this induce more "low engine speed/RPM, high engine load" scenarios where it "labors" the engine.

Try manually shifting into higher RPM ranges and reducing engine "load" to see if the noise disappears.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #447
BlownB58
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I recently learned that my M240i will need a new engine. The only modification is a Dinan Stage 1 tune and the car has less than 20k miles. I noticed that the engine was running rough after I exited the highway and slowed to a stop at a stop sign. Shortly thereafter I got a drivetrain malfunction and CEL. I carefully drove the car home (about a mile or two). It seemed like the car was just misfiring so I assumed it was a spark plug, an injector or some other ignition or fuel issue or maybe at worst a head gasket. I had it towed to the dealer and they later informed me that I need a new engine. I was shocked. Up until this point the only issue I had was a new crank sensor, which I think was the subject of a recall (at the time this issue seemed significantly more serious and caused significant engine and drivetrain issues). The dealer was unable to say why I need a new engine at this time (seems like they are still looking into it), but one individual said they probably reached that conclusion after a compression test or finding metal in the oil.

I am certainly not a mechanic, but there seem to only be a few possibilities given the situation (i.e., car runs, seems to only be misfiring, and needs a new engine): (1) spun bearing, but I did not receive any oil pressure warning, (2) piston ring failure, (3) burned piston, or (4) a scored cylinder.

My dealer has submitted the claim to BMW, but no determination has been made yet. I also alerted Dinan in case BMW denies the warranty claim. Given the nature of the Dinan tune, it seems unlikely that it would cause any of the issues above, unless the knock sensor failed, but that would be a problem with or without the tune. Any similar experiences? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by BlownB58; 08-06-2019 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:25 AM   #448
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownB58 View Post
I recently learned that my M240i will need a new engine. The only modification is a Dinan Stage 1 tune and the car has less than 20k miles.
Sorry to hear.
Can you provide more info about oil change intervals and other maintenance etc.?
That would be useful.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 05:23 AM   #449
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Equally sorry to hear about the engine failure. Was Dinan Stage 1 tune installed by the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #450
BlownB58
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear.
Can you provide more info about oil change intervals and other maintenance etc.?
That would be useful.
I don’t have the exact timing and information because the records are with my car, but I know there was 1 inspection and I think 2 oil changes. I think the first oil change was in January 2018 at probably around 7k miles. I think there was a second oil change in September 2018 during 1 of 2 visits that month when it was serviced for the crankshaft sensor and a software upgrade. The car indicated I needed an oil change in about 1,200 miles when it was towed to the dealership.

Last edited by BlownB58; 08-07-2019 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:29 AM   #451
BlownB58
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Equally sorry to hear about the engine failure. Was Dinan Stage 1 tune installed by the dealer?
It was not installed by the BMW dealer. It was installed by a separate local Dinan Dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #452
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
I recently learned that my M240i will need a new engine. The only modification is a Dinan Stage 1 tune and the car has less than 20k miles. I noticed that the engine was running rough after I exited the highway and slowed to a stop at a stop sign. Shortly thereafter I got a drivetrain malfunction and CEL. I carefully drove the car home (about a mile or two). It seemed like the car was just misfiring so I assumed it was a spark plug, an injector or some other ignition or fuel issue or maybe at worst a head gasket. I had it towed to the dealer and they later informed me that I need a new engine. I was shocked. Up until this point the only issue I had was a new crank sensor, which I think was the subject of a recall (at the time this issue seemed significantly more serious and caused significant engine and drivetrain issues). The dealer was unable to say why I need a new engine at this time (seems like they are still looking into it), but one individual said they probably reached that conclusion after a compression test or finding metal in the oil.

I am certainly not a mechanic, but there seem to only be a few possibilities given the situation (i.e., car runs, seems to only be misfiring, and needs a new engine): (1) spun bearing, but I did not receive any oil pressure warning, (2) piston ring failure, (3) burned piston, or (4) a scored cylinder.

My dealer has submitted the claim to BMW, but no determination has been made yet. I also alerted Dinan in case BMW denies the warranty claim. Given the nature of the Dinan tune, it seems unlikely that it would cause any of the issues above, unless the knock sensor failed, but that would be a problem with or without the tune. Any similar experiences? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Sorry to hear about this. What year is your car?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #453
BlownB58
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddy1 View Post
Sorry to hear about this. What year is your car?
It is a 2017.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 02:03 AM   #454
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It is a 2017.
Hmmm

Best to check your service history.

Usually, under BMW's condition based servicing, you won't get an oil change until the 2nd year (unless you hit the appropriate mileage).

So if yours was 2017, the first visit to the dealer in 2018 would have been a visual inspection and check, no fluid changes. Best to double check.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #455
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Hmmm

Best to check your service history.

Usually, under BMW's condition based servicing, you won't get an oil change until the 2nd year (unless you hit the appropriate mileage).

So if yours was 2017, the first visit to the dealer in 2018 would have been a visual inspection and check, no fluid changes. Best to double check.
???

So at his 1 year mark, say 10-12k miles, you're saying he doesn't need an oil change? Also, my CBS displays both the mileage and/or date at which service is required, and it's never been more than a year. Usually a month or two less, b/c racecar.

Last edited by G.Newt; 08-08-2019 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:41 PM   #456
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
???

Also, my CBS displays both the mileage and/or date at which service is required, and it's never been more than a year.
Actually. Scratch my previous post. I just remembered that Australians get shafted under CBS. Max duration in most countries is 12 months, whereas Australian CBS requires oil change every 24 months (or via mileage, depending on how low/high mileage the car is).

We just get interim oil changes done by an independent mechanic.

So my comment isn't relevant, apologies!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 05:42 AM   #457
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Folks....my B58 is coming up to the 3 year old mark. I'm in a bit of a quandary!

To extend my warranty for another year = £339. Very reasonable i think.
On the other hand........i would love to have a remap...

i know (i think) its one or the other, ain't it.....the remap would void any warranty. But the warranty buys me peace of mind.
But only because i don't know how reliable the B58 will be into its 4th year.

its on 30k miles, i bought it last year with 19k (2nd owner) - nothing has gone wrong so far, apart from my oil filter change debacle (thats another story).
Car seems to be running just as it was at 19k...

a remap would stress the internals a bit more, i get that - and i'm happy to increase the maintenance cost as a result.

I need this car to run reliably for a long time....it will be in my ownership probably another 5 years at least.
(I will be tracking it too - though i have no intention of hotlapping, just want to get the thing moving around....its first track day coming up in September....)

what would you guys do?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #458
PURE340i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i & 2011 335d

Quote:

Are they replacing the engine or blaming the Dinan piggyback?

Cylinder #2 seems to be a common failure on the B58, did they ever mention which cylinder is the issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #459
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep

Any more news on the blown B58?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 11:59 PM   #460
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I recently learned that my M240i will need a new engine.
What's the go mate?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 09:47 AM   #461
z3n0mal4
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Hello fellow B58 owners.
I'm having trouble identifying a certain sound i hear when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd gear in moderate to heavy acceleration. There's a short sound, kinda loud, like a squeak for the brief moment the car shifts gears. This happens in sport mode, and since i've done mostly city driving i don't know if it's the same going 2nd to 3rd and so on. And it's not always the same identical sound, but it's a very short burst, high pitch.
Any ideas? I guess it's somewhere on the exhaust, but i'm worried it might come from the engine. Can it come from the engine?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #462
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
Sounds like pre-2020 B58 are to be stayed away from...
Why cant auto makers design a chain that actually lasts and doesnt fail!
So seems like maybe 2015/2016 N55 might be more reliable vs. 2017/2018/2019 B58?
Because BMW has been dropping badly in sales so it needed something new to market: higher numbers. all evidence points to this coming with decreased reliability.
Appreciate 0