F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > idrive controller issues - retrofit
GetBMWParts

10-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F34 Gran Turismo

idrive controller issues - retrofit

Hi guys,

So i helped a mate of mine with retrofitting the business navigation to his car as he has a 2012 F30 ...

One of the problems i'm still having issues with though is the idrive controller.. he has the base one with no nav buttons or anything. So tried just swapping it for the one i had in my F31 LCI....

I've previously read somewhere that the wiring for the two versions of the F30/F31 are different and as such it wouldn't work. To fix this issue i tried purchasing an older version of the idrive controller - from November '14 ...

As the LCI version was introduced in july '15 i figured the idrive controller from '14 would ... However trying it today was everything but succesful ... No response whatsoever ..

Anyone has any idea what i should do ???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSTryk View Post
Hi guys,

So i helped a mate of mine with retrofitting the business navigation to his car as he has a 2012 F30 ...

One of the problems i'm still having issues with though is the idrive controller.. he has the base one with no nav buttons or anything. So tried just swapping it for the one i had in my F31 LCI....

I've previously read somewhere that the wiring for the two versions of the F30/F31 are different and as such it wouldn't work. To fix this issue i tried purchasing an older version of the idrive controller - from November '14 ...

As the LCI version was introduced in july '15 i figured the idrive controller from '14 would ... However trying it today was everything but succesful ... No response whatsoever ..

Nope. The KCAN was changed around 2/2014.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2019, 12:23 AM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys,

2012-2013 ran on K-CAN. Moved to K-CAN2 sometime in 2014 MY to support higher speed network with touch (written characters) in iDrive.

You need to run a new connection from iDrive to K-CAN2 instead of K-CAN.

I chose to run to FEM. Others connected elsewhere in HU.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-13-2019, 12:42 AM   #4
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

2012-2013 ran on K-CAN. Moved to K-CAN2 sometime in 2014 MY to support higher speed network with touch (written characters) in iDrive.

Thanks so much!

I'll try to look at it and see if I can work it out - honestly it's a bit terrifying ... looking at the pictures and diagram you sent on my phone right now .. might make more sense when I have more time to look at it later ..

Again - thanks !
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 12:51 AM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks so much!

I'll try to look at it and see if I can work it out - honestly it's a bit terrifying ... looking at the pictures and diagram you sent on my phone right now .. might make more sense when I have more time to look at it later ..

Again - thanks !
Then simply buy a 2012-2013 idrive controller.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 12:55 AM   #6
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks so much!

Again - thanks !
Then simply buy a 2012-2013 idrive controller.
Yeah that might be the solution..
Appreciate 0