F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F32 Window Tint Suggestions
proTUNING Freaks

09-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
chaitanyas02
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i

F32 Window Tint Suggestions

I just bought a f32 428i m sport white on the outside and with coral red dakota leather. I park outside for my job and the heat is absolutely absurd so I’m getting it tinted out next week but I’m looking for suggestions on percentages.

I really want the red interior to still be visible because I personally think it’s a nice color to show off so I was thinking of doing ceramic tint all the way around to help with heat. I would really appreciate some suggestions on whether I should go dark, light, uniform all around, or mix and match percents- it’s my first time tinting! btw I am in california but I am ok with going darker than the legal limit.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #2
Chaos236
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne , 640 GC

Make sure to get ceramic
Also and most importantly get the windshield done!
Appreciate 2
      09-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Different colors but I went ceramic 20% on the sides and 70% on windshield. I think I’m switching back to 35% on the sides or even 50% with the windshield at 70% from now on.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Having ceramic is more important than the percentage. I have 50% ceramic to stay legal, since 50% tint over the 70% stock glass equals 35%. It still gives a major reduction in heat.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #5
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

35% all around 3m color stable. No windshield....I might put 90% or 70% crystalline

Don't get hang up on those super expensive tint because they say super protection. Remember if you get caught you have to remove them and that on your pocket.
Appreciate 3
      09-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
HybridAWD
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive

Do they offer a zero tint or extremely light tint for the windshield with ceramic? Not really interested in tinting the windshield but would be nice to have the ceramic option to reduce interior heat.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridAWD View Post
Do they offer a zero tint or extremely light tint for the windshield with ceramic? Not really interested in tinting the windshield but would be nice to have the ceramic option to reduce interior heat.
Look into Llumar 80.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:14 AM   #8
Yungsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Look into Llumar 80.
Yup, there are near invisible tints for the windshield. I got some rayno ceramics all around to protect my interior from UVs. One thing to point out, some tints may interfere with the HUD display, esp if you wear sunglasses. You can also just use a sun visor..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

You should be paying somewhere $300 to 500 +120 windshield for tint
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
HybridAWD
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungsta View Post
Yup, there are near invisible tints for the windshield. I got some rayno ceramics all around to protect my interior from UVs. One thing to point out, some tints may interfere with the HUD display, esp if you wear sunglasses. You can also just use a sun visor..
The HUD with my polarized glasses is really hard to read already. I didn't think about the tint on the windshield and the HUD being affected until you mentioned it.

It's not so much the sun I am worried about but rather the heat/uv rays from the sun through the windshield. Seems kind of silly to do all of the other windows and then neglect the largest window in the car.

Something else I thought about today was the sunroof. I'd definitely like to get some clear, or almost clear ceramic for that as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #11
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Some tint also make rainbow color when wearing sun glasses.

I notice this riding on my friends car and it was tinted all around but not the front windshield. I don't know what tint brand she have.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #12
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Zero issues with Ceramic "Pinnacle 15" (actually 20) all around and "Air Blue 80" windshield in Los Angeles. Less glare, less heat.
More privacy if I close the sun roof shade, and enough visibility inside when the shade is opened. Cops don't even bat an eye, no issues at night.
Could not be happier 6 months later.
For your setup, I would go 30 at the lightest to show off your red interior.
Avoid the cheap tints that are just for "looks" as opposed to heat rejection.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
Yungsta
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The HUD with my polarized glasses is really hard to read already. I didn't think about the tint on the windshield and the HUD being affected until you mentioned it.

It's not so much the sun I am worried about but rather the heat/uv rays from the sun through the windshield. Seems kind of silly to do all of the other windows and then neglect the largest window in the car.

Something else I thought about today was the sunroof. I'd definitely like to get some clear, or almost clear ceramic for that as well.
Yeah, another thing that bothers me is the slight increase in reflectiveness when I tinted the front windshield. The HUD image was seamless before. Now I can see the actual projection enclosure and my front center speaker bring reflected when looking out my windshield. This is very slight but noticible to where it annoys me.

I believe the sunroof comes with a low tint already from factory? I didn't feel like it was necessary to do aftermarket tints on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #14
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:

I did 35% LLumar F1 Stratos for the side and rear windows, 15% for the sunroof, and 70% for the windshield. I don't have HUD, so I can't comment there. I would do as dark, or darker for your sunroof to help cut down on heat. As a couple of other people have mentioned, don't cheap out and get dyed, it's basically useless for heat rejection.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #15
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe the sunroof comes with a low tint already from factory? I didn't feel like it was necessary to do aftermarket tints on it.
Sunroof is tinted but it's just a darkening film, barely rejects any heat like a ceramic film or something.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:38 PM   #16
RichieDirts
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyas02 View Post
I just bought a f32 428i m sport white on the outside and with coral red dakota leather. I park outside for my job and the heat is absolutely absurd so I’m getting it tinted out next week but I’m looking for suggestions on percentages.

I really want the red interior to still be visible because I personally think it’s a nice color to show off so I was thinking of doing ceramic tint all the way around to help with heat. I would really appreciate some suggestions on whether I should go dark, light, uniform all around, or mix and match percents- it’s my first time tinting! btw I am in california but I am ok with going darker than the legal limit.
I have Coral red interior as well. This is a sunny afternoon. My window tint is: 5% rear window, 15% rest of car, 30% front windshield.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:55 PM   #17
Yungsta
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieDirts View Post
I have Coral red interior as well. This is a sunny afternoon. My window tint is: 5% rear window, 15% rest of car, 30% front windshield.
Damn that is dark! I'll go as dark as possible too but I actually got a fix it ticket last year by the CHP (California highway patrol) and so I went from 20 percent all around to 30 front.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 12:48 AM   #18
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn that is dark! I'll go as dark as possible too but I actually got a fix it ticket last year by the CHP (California highway patrol) and so I went from 20 percent all around to 30 front.
This is why I recomend not go with super expensive super ceramic tint like $800.... because if this happened to you...its going to burn a hole on your pocket...
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #19
HybridAWD
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
This is why I recomend not go with super expensive super ceramic tint like $800.... because if this happened to you...its going to burn a hole on your pocket...
And that is what also suck about VA. On top of that, I go through a federal gate every day for work and the security guards think they are the VA State Police and try and comment about every single little thing wrong with your car.

I'm just going to keep it legal so I don't have to deal with the nonsense. Sadly, 50% up front, 35% in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #20
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Actually, some tint places offer ticket insurance and will re-tint your car if you get a ticket, such as Signature Glass Tinting in Costa Mesa. If you get a tint ticket, they will strip it, you get it signed off, and they re-do it. Just need to do the research for the Bay Area.
And full ceramic without windshield can cost about half that from many shops.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:12 AM   #21
Yungsta
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
Actually, some tint places offer ticket insurance and will re-tint your car if you get a ticket, such as Signature Glass Tinting in Costa Mesa. If you get a tint ticket, they will strip it, you get it signed off, and they re-do it. Just need to do the research for the Bay Area.
And full ceramic without windshield can cost about half that from many shops.
My shop thankfully cut me a deal and I paid $100 to strip and redo the front two windows. I got it stripped it, went to the CHP office to get it inspected/signed off and put the tints back on in under 2 hours lol. Only difference is slightly lesser tint up front. Having the same level all around looks so much better. However I'm super paranoid now, everytime I see a cop , I open the visor on the sunroof or roll my windows down!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #22
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My shop thankfully cut me a deal and I paid $100 to strip and redo the front two windows. I got it stripped it, went to the CHP office to get it inspected/signed off and put the tints back on in under 2 hours lol. Only difference is slightly lesser tint up front. Having the same level all around looks so much better. However I'm super paranoid now, everytime I see a cop , I open the visor on the sunroof or roll my windows down!
Did you forget that in California they just pass new law.... it is not just a fix up ticket now. You have to pay the fine and fixed it at the same time.
Appreciate 0