F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > silvrbreez Glacier Silver Metallic F30 M Sport Journal
ARMA SPEED

10-24-2019, 11:20 PM   #45
regpaq
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 AW

The front ones look gloss and the rear looks matte black lol. Small details, but really does look good
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2019, 05:05 AM   #46
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by regpaq View Post
The front ones look gloss and the rear looks matte black lol. Small details, but really does look good
Good eye, bad pic. Guess the reflection on the hood roundel shows off the gloss more.

Couple Updates...

Got a Veepak Bluetooth OBD adapter and Bimmercode to do some coding. After the adapter and app, I'm about $60 in. Totally worth it to me personally to adjust the blinkers from 3 clicks to 5. Any other coding I do is icing on top. I went ahead and also deleted the iDrive and camera warnings, setup the M logo on the headunit for startup, and made the mirrors fold/unfold with Comfort Access. Obviously there is plenty more I could do, but these are good enough for me for now.

Also, I might be getting rid of the KUDA phone mount base if anyone is interested. (UPDATE: SOLD! Rennline Mount on the way.)

Last edited by silvrbreez; 10-28-2019 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #47
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Keeping an eye on things at lunch...
Attached Images

10-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #48
N54_BuiltE85
Rep
Drives: 335i and F80 M3

New wheels look great man!
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2019, 12:46 AM   #49
dadwagon
Long roofin'
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

Your garage is goals.

I can't complain with a carport, at least I have covered off-street parking... but every day I think about the day when I move into a place with my own garage.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2019, 06:15 AM   #50
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadwagon View Post
Your garage is goals.

I can't complain with a carport, at least I have covered off-street parking... but every day I think about the day when I move into a place with my own garage.
Thanks dadwagon I appreciate the compliment!

It's one place in the house where I've got full reign on style and organization. It's taken a while to get it to the point it is now, and (like most projects with us guys) I've got a few more plans to dial it in even more.

Believe it or not, I wish I had a carport in addition to my garage. It'd be great to have a place to wash in the shade. Maybe long term I can build something nice alongside the outside of the garage and make a "wash bay".
      10-31-2019, 03:16 PM   #51
dadwagon
Long roofin'
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

For sure. Shaded washing is nice, although not much space in my carport to move around the car and wash/dry, so I usually wash in the driveway in front of the carport and try to do it in the evening when the sun is going down.

By the way, I love the tiles in your garage. I will keep this in mind when I finally get a garage of my own.

My brother went for the speckled/epoxy floor when he was setting the garage up at his place, and I thought that was really nice... but the tiles can be removed, etc and they also look sweet!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #52
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

I've done a few updates since my last post, but I still need to grab some of these for those interested in the differences...

Rennline Phone Mount (Nov 2019)
OEM Euro Spec Side Mirror Glass (Dec 2019)
Dinan Springs & Bump Stops (Jan 2020)
PosiQuiet Brake Pads (Jan 2020)
      01-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #53
regpaq
Private
United_States
Rep

Post up pics, would like to see the phone mount and mirror glass too. I ended up buying the roundels btw, damn they are expensive I thought that was the price for two!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #54
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Here are some shots of the Rennline phone mount and OEM Euro aspherical side mirrors. the photos honestly don't do these mirrors justice on the difference it makes in function and driving experience. They are also a big safety plus for me since I'm blind in my left eye and usually have to bend forward a bit to check my blind spot on the driver's side. These mirrors almost completely alleviate the need for me to bend forward anymore.

And here's a couple of shots from the day I put the Dinan springs and bump stops on. The side shot is just before I washed after the install. I need to get out and get some stylish shots to try and show off the drop, albeit minor it still gives me just the mild look I wanted.

02-05-2020, 10:01 PM   #55
regpaq
Private
United_States
Rep

I looked into the mirrors, pretty sweet upgrade. Way more expensive than I thought though haha. Car is looking good!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:05 PM   #56
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by regpaq View Post
I looked into the mirrors, pretty sweet upgrade. Way more expensive than I thought though haha. Car is looking good!
You're right. I was fortunate enough to pick my set up second hand from a user on here.
regpaq73.50
      04-02-2020, 11:08 AM   #57
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

While washing my car last weekend, I noticed that the "fangs" or splitters on either side of my M Sport bumper were showing signs of the paint cracking beneath the XPEL film. I recall a few difficult parking lot approaches after having installed the Dinan springs and thought it had to be from that. My mind immediately when to the cost of stripping the XPEL off the whole bumper, getting it resprayed, and then recovered...but then I thought...MODZ YO!!!

I remembered having seen some carbon fiber splitters around the internet but I wasn't able to find actual photos of them installed on an F30post.com member's car. I decided to take a leap and go for it. My reason for this approach is that I'm personally not a HUGE fan of the M Performance style side skirt extensions and rear diffusers, and because I'm a bit of a perfectionist and completionist, I feel like I'd need to opt for the whole package if I went with the M Performance front. It hasn't sat well with me to go that route, so I've been considering something like a carbon fiber Arkym style lip as noted in my previous posts on here. The problem with the Arkym style lip is that it won't cover this damage and actually extends the bumper lower making me more prone to future damage.

These splitters will simply hug the existing "fangs" and provide the same amount of clearance while offering an aesthetic benefit to cover the damage and add a bit of flare. What I really like the most about this idea is that it tips the cap back to the OEM M Performance carbon fiber splitters available on the E90 M3 and even further back likens a bit to the E46 M3 CSL. Here are a few pictures of those cars for reference.

I ended up purchasing a cheap set off of Amazon and then a bit more costly set from Kies Motorsports. My plan is to compare the quality (fit and finish) of both and go with what goes best for me and return the Amazon piece came in early so I went ahead and slipped it on for a test fit.

The Amazon piece quality surprised me. It is a full carbon, not carbon fiber wrapped plastic. It seems like it's single-ply (if that's a thing with Carbon?), so it's quite thin and very lightweight. The clear coat looks good (at least initially without any UV and wear/tear) and the weave is consistent without any waves. The fit is snug when you give it a little effort. The top sits right beneath the front edge of the plastic grille in the fog light area. The edges sit nicely against the center and the outer edge of the "fangs". The bottom doesn't wrap around as far underneath as I believe the Kies Motorsport option will, but these do wrap around the side a little which pays a bit more homage to the style of the E90 M3 OEM carbon fiber splitters. We'll see how the Kies Motorsport piece compares when it arrives.

Here's a quick shot of my test fit of the Amazon piece...

My plan, after I get these on and fitting as I want, is going to be to round out the carbon fiber bits with some replacement mirror covers and a trunk spoiler. I've done a quick photoshop of what I'm hoping it looks like when all of this is done...

No side skirt extensions, no rear diffuser, just a few carbon bits to accentuate the existing body lines while tipping the cap back to the lineage of my cars bigger brother the M3.

Last edited by silvrbreez; 04-03-2020 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #58
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

The Kies Motorsports piece arrived yesterday. Upon inspection, it is in fact carbon fiber overlay on plastic. The piece certainly feels more robust and the clear coat might be a hair thicker. It just seems to have a deeper gloss. The weave on the Kies piece seems "thicker" than the Amazon piece and also seems to be oriented in a different direction. The differences seem to align with how most compare a carbon fiber vs. dry carbon piece, with the Amazon piece being the dry carbon style.

Amazon in the back & Kies in the front...

The quality of the piece itself seems pretty good. I don't particularly care for the way the weave ripples or "meshes" under the splitter, but let's face it no one will ever see that.

As far as fitment goes, this piece has a few things against it. First, it doesn't fit as flush against the black foglight area trim as the first piece from Amazon does. Second, it's thicker than the first piece from Amazon and that makes any misfit even more pronounced. Lastly, it's a straight cut down on the outside of the splitter instead of a little lip like on the piece from Amazon...this part right here seems to make the biggest difference in the presentation. I tried to capture that in the pic below.

Overall, both are very nice pieces and I'm sure I could make the piece from Kies Motorsports work, but based on my impressions I'm planning to return the Kies piece and keep the Amazon piece that was about half the cost. Worst case scenario, the clearcoat on the Amazon piece isn't as good and starts to look crappy after one South Texas summer. If that's the case, I'll pull it off and look for another option.

I plan to wash the car this weekend and get the splitters installed after that.
      04-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #59
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Installed the splitters and Sliplo lip protector underneath this morning and gave the car a wash. I had to go out and about to snag some pics since they'll never be this clean again. This is also my first proper shoot since lowering the car on Dinan springs.

Last edited by silvrbreez; 04-11-2020 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #60
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

2nd-hand OEM M Performance carbon fiber mirror caps are on their way to me now.

I also have plans to wrap the new splitters, mirror caps, and B pillars in PPF once they caps arrive and I can install them.

To round out the carbon fiber bits, I have a lead on a 2nd-hand OEM M Performance carbon fiber spoiler that I'm waiting to see if it pans out.

Last edited by silvrbreez; 04-18-2020 at 06:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 01:57 AM   #61
mschmoelzer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series GT (F34)

That is a nice looking 335i!

I'm thinking about getting BBS CI-Rs for my 3 series GT as well - could you post your exact wheel dimensions? I'm interested in the width and offset especially of the front wheels - thanks!
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2020, 06:10 AM   #62
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the compliment.

My wheel and tire specs are as follows...

BBS CI-R (Platinum Silver)
*19x8.5 +35 F & 19x9.5 +40 R

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (ZR)
*225/40 F & 255/35 R

Those are specs recommended by BBS themselves and you'll also find that Fontenot recommended on sites like Tire Rack. Mine were purchased from Supreme Power. I'm not running any spacers and I'm dropped on Dinan springs.
      04-18-2020, 06:45 AM   #63
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

So the OEM M Performance carbon fiber spoiler deal fell through. I'd still like to go OEM, but I think I can be patient and see if another deal comes through. If not, I'm going to go with Kies Motorsports for the spoiler.

I'd like to know what other people's preferred carbon fiber parts source is besides OEM. Where can you find good quality and value? Some of the vendors I know of are...

Kies Motorsports (Phase Carbone line of products)
RW Carbon
Extreme Power House (XPH line of products)
      05-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #64
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Got the mirror caps installed last weekend and the splitters, mirrors, and B-pillars all wrapped in XPEL PPF to keep things protected alongside the entire front clip that was wrapped in late 2017. Need to get out and snap some fresh pics, but in the meantime here is a quick look-back from this week when I was out grabbing a "socially distant sandwich".

05-17-2020, 05:53 PM   #65
silvrbreez
Private First Class
Rep

Updated shots after a much-needed wash today to highlight the new carbon fiber splitters, OEM M Performance carbon fiber mirror caps, and what you can't see - both are protected with PPF. I also played with a few settings on some of the images with Adobe Camera Raw just for the heck of it.

regpaq73.50
      05-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #66
regpaq
Private
United_States
Rep

looks clean! great looking garage, too
Appreciate 1