F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Say hello to my new 340i!
ARMA SPEED

07-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #23
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Very nice man! In Germany too.

Also want to thank you for your military service.

Enjoy her to the fullest over there!

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 3
      07-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Congrats, enjoy. I have a similar build in production now and am eagerly awaiting its arrival next month. I'm a disappointed, though, to hear about the steering, from you and from some other initial reviews. I can live without stellar feedback--that ship seems to have sailed long ago in the automotive world, it seems (other than, perhaps, Porsche), but the reviews almost make it sound like the atrociously spooky steering of the Infiniti Q50. I'm wondering if this will be bad enough for BMW to issue some TSB to address (if possible).

Excerpts from (and links to) first reviews: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1151395
Though the steering in the F30 is electric assist it is nothing like the Infiniti's nasty system.
The F30's steering wheel is still directly connected to steering rack.
The issue initially was the lack of feel in the steering and that vague "electric" assist feel, which most of us are not as used to as hydraulic units that we've become accustomed to.

BMW has changed the steering rack at least a couple of times since I picked up my 2013 335i Msport in August 2012.
For the LCI BMW claims to have addressed the steering yet again to give it better feel. Until we get reviews from drivers who have a pre LCI to the new 2016 rack we don't yet know much.

OP:
How is the steering compared to your F30 328i?

I have VSS in my 335i and what you describe with the steering in your new 340i with VSS doesn't make sense to me.
Here is your comment:
"The one thing I am still undetermined about is my opinion of variable steering. It was the one aspect that betrayed the electric heart of the steering wheel. I could feel it actively changing the ratio as I drove. Though it was changing it correctly and improving the efficiency of steering, it did lend a partially electric feel. I have a feeling I will get used to it and come to love it, as many others have before me."

I'm not sure what you are feeling exactly because the VSS doesn't really change feel under any type of electrical power. The variable ratio is mechanical. The rack has a static ratio of 14.5:1 up to 100 degrees of steering wheel rotation and transitions up to 11.1:1 at the extreme end of steering lock. The ratio tightens up so that the same amount of steering lock results in greater angle at the tires.
The standard rack lock to lock takes 2.7 turns, VSS takes 2.2 turns.

In my 335i I don't feel that transition at all. I don't feel the ratio change physically at the steering wheel. It's quite seamless actually.
But, if you are feeling something odd, then I wonder what is really going on?

Servotronic is the system that controls the amount of the electric power assist.
Servotronic allows a lighter effort at parking lot speeds and then lessens the power assist as speeds increase for a firmer feel.
Maybe that is what you are feeling?
I feel it in my 335i and it does feel artificial.
Also, on my steering the on center feel has one of the most vague feeling steering I've ever driven. There is too steering wheel play off center before anything happens at the tires even though VSS has a slightly tighter steering ration of 14.5:1 vs 15:1 for the standard rack.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #25
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Congrats, looking sharp! If I'm not wrong, this is M sport and does not have fog lights. Good to know that you can opt out for the fog lights
For LCI, I think, if you get the track pack then the fog lights get removed.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #26
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Congrats, enjoy. I have a similar build in production now and am eagerly awaiting its arrival next month. I'm a disappointed, though, to hear about the steering, from you and from some other initial reviews. I can live without stellar feedback--that ship seems to have sailed long ago in the automotive world, it seems (other than, perhaps, Porsche), but the reviews almost make it sound like the atrociously spooky steering of the Infiniti Q50. I'm wondering if this will be bad enough for BMW to issue some TSB to address (if possible).

Excerpts from (and links to) first reviews: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1151395
Those seem to be referring to the variable sport steering which in the past I know some magazines didn't like at all. The standard steering is available without the track pack.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:13 PM   #27
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Until we get reviews from drivers who have a pre LCI to the new 2016 rack we don't yet know much.
Follow the link in my post to the early reviews. Some are tepid about the steering, but some are very critical, making it sound like a step backwards. It appears all have tested specifically the VSS setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #28
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
For LCI, I think, if you get the track pack then the fog lights get removed.
I didn't know this, thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #29
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Follow the link in my post to the early reviews. Some are tepid about the steering, but some are very critical, making it sound like a step backwards. It appears all have tested specifically the VSS setup.
I did and I posted.

For reference here, the VSS in my 335i performs nothing like the poor performance in some of those reviews of the 340i.

One of those reviews states that all initial 340i's have VSS, but that must be true for non US markets because here we can order a 340i without it.
The only way to get VSS is to order the track pack for the US.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #30
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
Those seem to be referring to the variable sport steering which in the past I know some magazines didn't like at all. The standard steering is available without the track pack.
I've never read anything negative about VSS specifically in the 4 US auto mags I get.
Everything negative I've read about the F30 steering has been about the steering in general, specifically the electric assist.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #31
ASHpro
The General*****
Canada
Rep
Drives: M440xi GC Snapper Rocks Blue

Congrats man, Love the rims!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:56 PM   #32
RPM90
Major General
Rep

OP:
Does the mineral gray have blue metallic flakes in it?
I think I see them in a couple of the picts.

I've never seen this color in person.
I loved space gray on my 135i. If you've seen that color how does mineral gray compare?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:57 PM   #33
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Congrats! The car looks great!
      07-17-2015, 02:37 AM   #34
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
OP:

I have VSS in my 335i and what you describe with the steering in your new 340i with VSS doesn't make sense to me.
Here is your comment:
"The one thing I am still undetermined about is my opinion of variable steering. It was the one aspect that betrayed the electric heart of the steering wheel. I could feel it actively changing the ratio as I drove. Though it was changing it correctly and improving the efficiency of steering, it did lend a partially electric feel. I have a feeling I will get used to it and come to love it, as many others have before me."

I'm not sure what you are feeling exactly because the VSS doesn't really change feel under any type of electrical power. The variable ratio is mechanical. The rack has a static ratio of 14.5:1 up to 100 degrees of steering wheel rotation and transitions up to 11.1:1 at the extreme end of steering lock. The ratio tightens up so that the same amount of steering lock results in greater angle at the tires.

In my 335i I don't feel that transition at all. I don't feel the ratio change physically at the steering wheel. It's quite seamless actually.
But, if you are feeling something odd, then I wonder what is really going on?.
Similar thinking... I noticed the comment by the OP and you have saved me asking similar questions.

Perhaps the OP could describe it a bit more, as some of the magazine reviews are hinting something may be wrong with the implementation of VSS this time around. Review from PistonHeads simply says it is horrible.

Quote:
But for the horrible steering. It's sticky straight ahead, snatchy in response, seems to magnetically 'freeze' in corners and lacks any of the finesse I recall from the first-gen F30 3 Series. Praise be then - it's the optional Variable Sport Steering, and should be avoided at all costs. No wonder it's only £290, because it's awful.
HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:18 AM   #35
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

Awesome car and specs! My 340ix just finished production and now it's ready to ship. I got Mineral Gray also but with Coral Red interior and Msport package. I'll just keep looking at your car until mine gets here.

Post more pictures!!!!!!!!!!! Show us some close ups of the interior changes. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:24 AM   #36
closhedbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport (DELIVERED!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknutz View Post
Awesome! I'm going to the same dealer on Monday to pick mine up too.

I was told that a Welt pickup would have added up to 3 weeks to the delivery time, so I chose getting the car sooner instead.
I was told the same thing. I also wasn't going to pay $500 just to have it presented to me on a spinning stage. I get the whole Euro experience every day, and I can tour the Welt and factory any time.

That and was not going to pay to wait!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:30 AM   #37
closhedbb
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Congratulations! Super cool that you're one of the first in the world! I guess my question #1 would be how does it drive (chassis/powertrain updates), but I suppose that would only be a realistic commentary had you been driving the pre-LCI F30 for comparison.

Note: How could these now be in delivery yet NOT ONE public/media/journalist "first drive" review?
It's hard for me to answer that question for two reasons:

1 - I can't push it hard yet. I'm sticking to the break-in period religiously because I'm going to be driving this for quite some time. SO I can't find it's limits or how it handles under really "spirited" driving. Yet.

2 - As you said, I didn't own a pre-LCI 335i or M-Sport, or even a Sport Line. The base line 328i in 2013 had a very floaty suspension, at least compared to previous 3-series'. I loved it because I didn't know any better. And just the same, I love this one, because I don't know any better! But I do know that it feels like it's on rails. As for the drivetrain, it pulls like a beast, and I can't wait to really find out what it can do.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:32 AM   #38
closhedbb
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
Congratulations, I suspect a lot of the handling you're enjoying is down to the MPSS and 18s. Any chance of a video or two of the exhaust note?
There have been a few requests for this. I'll do a recording tonight and post it.

A co-worker of mine who has been a BMW fan and owner for some time now came out and listened to it today, and he told me that he thinks it sounds better than the current M3. It sounds really good.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:35 AM   #39
closhedbb
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David9962000 View Post
What a beauty... What do you have for the spare tire? I don't think you have runflats?
This is a good question I forgot to address. I was pleased to find that the car came with a plug-in compressor in the trunk. Obviously that doesn't help in the case of a full-on flat, but will help in the case of a slow leak or minor adjustments.

I plan on getting ADAC for my time here for worst case scenarios. (Like AAA for Germany)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:44 AM   #40
closhedbb
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Let me clarify that I think my aversion to the steering was simply an initial reaction to the new feel of the VSS. The more I drive it, the more I like it.

I'm not well versed in the mechanics of how it works. I think it almost felt like steering was too easy. At faster speeds there seems to be more free-play of the wheel at neutral before the wheels start to react. This may be normal and I'm just not used to it!

I do not dislike the steering, it's just new. A more experienced and knowledgeable person than me might be able to give it a more fair evaluation.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:44 AM   #41
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by closhedbb View Post
It finally happened! After selling my 2013 328i last August, I’m finally back in a Bimmer! I sold my F30 before moving to Germany for a 3-year military assignment with every intention of buying another one soon after arriving. That all changed when some things went very well and I found that I could now afford a 335i and that if I waited until the summer I could get a 340i. So I locked my wallet, and resigned myself to my wife’s CR-V for the next 10 months, all to get into a 340i..........

I now open the floor for any questions you may have! I’ll try to fulfill any picture requests in addition to this post tomorrow when I have light again.

I’m so happy!
Congrats, on the car..

Hmm.. what kind of shoes are those?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:52 AM   #42
closhedbb
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

OP:

Here is your comment:

But, if you are feeling something odd, then I wonder what is really going on?

Servotronic is the system that controls the amount of the electric power assist.
Servotronic allows a lighter effort at parking lot speeds and then lessens the power assist as speeds increase for a firmer feel.
Maybe that is what you are feeling?
I feel it in my 335i and it does feel artificial.
Also, on my steering the on center feel has one of the most vague feeling steering I've ever driven. There is too steering wheel play off center before anything happens at the tires even though VSS has a slightly tighter steering ration of 14.5:1 vs 15:1 for the standard rack.
It's night and day compared to my 328i. The 328 just felt like sedan steering. I couldn't feel the road or the rubber of the tires.

This one I really feel the resistance of the tires when I turn at slow speeds. I feel much more connected with the road. It's great.

I think you are right about the servotronic, particularly the free-play of the wheel when at speed. That described what I am feeling very well. So it may not be the VSS after all that was causing the odd feeling. As of now, though, I love the whole combined feel of the suspension and steering. As I get used to the steering, I like it more. Like getting used to a new car with a difference clutch catch point.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:53 AM   #43
closhedbb
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Congrats, on the car..

Hmm.. what kind of shoes are those?
Didn't expect that question! They are PUMA Drift Cats. I love them for driving, and recommend them highly. Very thin soles so you can feel the pedals, and a rounded heel for rolling onto the accelerator! PUMA even makes a BMW-branded Drift Cat.

Check them out on Zappos or Amazon.
Appreciate 2
      07-17-2015, 05:56 AM   #44
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by closhedbb View Post
Didn't expect that question! They are PUMA Drift Cats. I love them for driving, and recommend them highly. Very thin soles so you can feel the pedals, and a rounded heel for rolling onto the accelerator! PUMA even makes a BMW-branded Drift Cat.

Check them out on Zappos or Amazon.
Haha... Quality Shoes are important

Also what's the top speed on the CRV? lol don't lie you know what it is...
Appreciate 0