F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Say hello to my new 340i!
Studio RSR

07-18-2015, 11:14 PM   #133
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767 View Post
Stupid question but does the oil cap have "BMW recommends Shell" printed on it?
because BMW has used Castrol for the last zillion years and they switched to shell this year.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 11:27 PM   #134
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Good luck, enjoy it, and drive safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #135
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
because BMW has used Castrol for the last zillion years and they switched to shell this year.
Yes I am well aware of that, that's the reason for my question. My oil cap has "BMW recommends Castrol" printed on it, does the new 340i now have Shell instead of Castrol on it?

Last edited by sy2767; 07-19-2015 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #136
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Nice! And jealous you're located in Kaiserslautern. I thought I was close.

Love the wheels, 18" are perfect. And +1 for going black leather.

I wonder why BMW went back to the large clownnose led on the mirror, except it's clear now. Unless it's now waiting for flat clear leds in the future.

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #137
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by closhedbb View Post
And now I am quite possibly the first person in the world to have a private production 340i in their driveway. After 60 inaugural miles on the autobahn, I couldn’t be happier!

Here’s my build:
2016 340i, Mineral Gray
Sport Automatic (I’ve already been criticized for this one, but I love it!)
M-Sport Package
Track Handling Package
18” 398 Orbit Gray wheels
Summer Staggered tires
Anthracite Wood Trim
Driver Assistance Package
Heated Front Seats
Side & Top View Cameras

I’m so happy!
If you're not having too much fun enjoying your new 340i, could
you post an outside bright, hopefully sunny, picture of you car?
After looking at the picts of your 340i I'm really liking the gray.

I'm moving towards a 340i w/track pack and red leather with the gray wheels.
If not gray with those wheels then silver, both w/red leather.

The other other option is Msport gray or silver, red leather, M-adaptive.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #138
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
I wonder why BMW went back to the large clownnose led on the mirror, except it's clear now. Unless it's now waiting for flat clear leds in the future.
Clown nose? lol.. I don't see it...
      07-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #139
RanD454
Registered
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe xdrive

Congrats! Looks phenomenal!!

So, my question may not be the most interesting to you right now since your living up that new turbo 6, but you are one of the only people I have seen allude to anything related to my curiosity.

You said with Apple music you are able to use Siri to call up any album, song, genre, whatever. I am finding that quite nice as well. But you also said you can use Siri to start new playlists on the fly?? How are you doing that?When I ask Siri to start a new playlist it tells me it is unable to do so (only while in the car), if I'm not linked up via Bluetooth than it works with Siri just fine.

So my specific question is this: are you actually able to get Siri to start a new genius playlist from what is already playing by voice only? And what Siri command do you use to do so. If you wouldn't mine double checking it would be greatly appreciated.

Like I said, most Siri commands in the BMW work with Apple Music, but some features such as 'up next' and commands like 'play more like this' seem to be deactivated when in the car. (I am in a 2015 F36) I'm wondering if something with the tech changed between MY15 and MY16

Thank you so much in advanced for your response!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #140
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767
Quote:
Yes I am well aware of that, that's the reason for my question. My oil cap has "BMW recommends Castrol" printed on it, does the new 340i now have Shell instead of Castrol on it?
yes. and if you have had an oil change this year, yours does too.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 03:45 AM   #141
closhedbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport (DELIVERED!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanD454 View Post

So, my question may not be the most interesting to you right now since your living up that new turbo 6, but you are one of the only people I have seen allude to anything related to my curiosity.

You said with Apple music you are able to use Siri to call up any album, song, genre, whatever. I am finding that quite nice as well. But you also said you can use Siri to start new playlists on the fly?? How are you doing that?When I ask Siri to start a new playlist it tells me it is unable to do so (only while in the car), if I'm not linked up via Bluetooth than it works with Siri just fine.

So my specific question is this: are you actually able to get Siri to start a new genius playlist from what is already playing by voice only? And what Siri command do you use to do so. If you wouldn't mine double checking it would be greatly appreciated.

Like I said, most Siri commands in the BMW work with Apple Music, but some features such as 'up next' and commands like 'play more like this' seem to be deactivated when in the car. (I am in a 2015 F36) I'm wondering if something with the tech changed between MY15 and MY16

I've found that with the new Apple Music, if I request a specific type of music, or music from a specific artist but I don't specify an album, Apple Music will create a playlist for me.

For example, last time I was driving, I asked Siri for "Intro to Chevelle", which is a playlist I already knew Apple Music had ready to go in "For You", and it started playing. I also tried "Lionel Richie's Greatest Hits" (I like a lot of different things...) and it pulled up 20 of his most famous songs. It has worked really well for the most part.

Most of the time I like specifying which album I want to listen to, but asking for it to create a radio station, or requesting "greatest Hits" or something along that line is fun, too. I'm just so glad to have access to Siri through the steering wheel button without having to get the Tech Package or 6NS.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 04:03 AM   #142
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
That car looks great. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it. I still remember how I felt when picking up my 335i a few years back, I was just taking any excuse to drive it.

Let me know when you plan to drive it on the 'Ring, I'm there quite regularly.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      07-20-2015, 05:20 AM   #143
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post
Clown nose? lol.. I don't see it...
Can't miss it. It hangs at the underside of the rearview mirror.

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 06:00 AM   #144
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Cool

Great ride!

Thanks for the sharing man! Congrats for the new ride!

Can't wait to test one of those babies! 99% it will be my next car
      07-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #145
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I like the color, as I am most likely going to be getting an M2 in that shade, but I am not a fan of the wheels in that color. They are slightly off from the body color and it just looks like a bad match.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #146
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
where are those nighttime ambient lighting pictures? I'm dying to see the interior center console at night!!
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #147
RanD454
Registered
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by closhedbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanD454 View Post

I've found that with the new Apple Music, if I request a specific type of music, or music from a specific artist but I don't specify an album, Apple Music will create a playlist for me.

For example, last time I was driving, I asked Siri for "Intro to Chevelle", which is a playlist I already knew Apple Music had ready to go in "For You", and it started playing. I also tried "Lionel Richie's Greatest Hits" (I like a lot of different things...) and it pulled up 20 of his most famous songs. It has worked really well for the most part.

Most of the time I like specifying which album I want to listen to, but asking for it to create a radio station, or requesting "greatest Hits" or something along that line is fun, too. I'm just so glad to have access to Siri through the steering wheel button without having to get the Tech Package or 6NS.
How do you have it create a radio station? When I ask it to do so (mind you I am using iCloud library) it tells me genius is not available...

Really, I'm tnot ting to figure out if they changed some of he Siri integration between 2015 model year and 2016.

Most of my Siri works great! But a few things like starting radio stations through the steering wheel are disabled it seems...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #148
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5

Quote:
yes. and if you have had an oil change this year, yours does too.
I change my own oil, last dealer oil change was last june.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 12:14 AM   #149
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

How is the LED lighting at night? You like it? Better than xenons?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #150
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

Congrats on your new car - I'd spec mine out very similarly. Almost identical actually, but I like the saddle brown. I especially like the wheels.

Do you have any more feedback on the VSS (variable sport steering)?

A couple of follow up questions too (if you know)
1. can the VSS be turned off by the driver?
2. can the 340i be ordered from the dealer with the M-sport brakes, but without VSS?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #151
piokor06
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4M Competition

Can you post some pics of the headlights with the DRLs on? Maybe at night?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #152
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKixxon View Post
Congrats on your new car - I'd spec mine out very similarly. Almost identical actually, but I like the saddle brown. I especially like the wheels.

Do you have any more feedback on the VSS (variable sport steering)?

A couple of follow up questions too (if you know)
1. can the VSS be turned off by the driver?
2. can the 340i be ordered from the dealer with the M-sport brakes, but without VSS?

Thank you!
VSS can not be turned off.
It is a mechanical variable ratio rack that ramps up once the steering lock goes past 100 degrees of rotation.

What you can alter is the amount of electric motor assist via the driver modes.

Unfortunately you can't order the blue Msport brakes as an individual option for 2016.
At least not yet. I'll bet BMW will add the option later.
When I got my 335i Msport the blue Msport brakes were not yet an option.
They came later that year I believe in 2013 iirc. If not they were an option for the 2014 model year up to 2015.

If you get the Msport pkg it comes with the Msport static suspension and M-adaptive is optional for $700.
MSport does not come with VSS unless you order the Track pack as well.

Here's what I've gathered about Msport pkg brakes vs optional Msport blue caliper brakes. This info is from the pre LCI 3 series threads on brakes. There is still a bit of confusion about Msport pkg brakes vs Msport optional blue caliper brakes.
Some places say the Msport pkg brakes are not the same as the optional Msport claiming Msport pkg had 1 piston rear calipers.
However, the Msport pkg came out for the 2013 model year and all US Msport pkg 335i's has 4 piston Brembo fixed calipers up front and 2 piston Brembo fixed calipers on the rear. The rotors are also larger in the rear than on non Msport 335i's.
I emailed a good info source on the brakes and hopefully I'll get a response soon to verify or change the info I list below.

The brakes that come on an Msport pkg are pretty much the same as the blue Msport optional brakes. The only difference is that same Brembo calipers are painted blue.
Msport pkg, and option blue caliper brakes, come with the higher friction pad.
The Msport pkg rotors are also the same size as on the optional blue Msport brakes.
Basically, if you get the Msport pkg you're also getting the Msport brakes except the calipers are painted gray. Optional blue Msport calipers are painted blue.

To get "better" brakes for track use there is the M-Performance brakes, which come with larger dimpled and grooved rotors, and the calipers come in different colors. They also include grooved brake pads for better wet weather performance. You get larger rotors that will help dissipate heat better on heavy use such as track use.

The standard brakes on a 335/340i are 4 pot fixed front and 1 pot floating rear.
328i get 1 pot floating front and 1 pot floating rear with smaller rotors.

Msport on both models get 4 pot fixed front, and 2 pot fixed rear with larger rotors.

Last edited by RPM90; 07-21-2015 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #153
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

RPM90 sincerest thanks for such an awesome reply. A person can rarely get that kind of detailed info. I'll try to test drive both ways when available. But if not I would go m-sport without track package to avoid vss.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 11:39 PM   #154
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Looks great man! The wheels are definitely a nice pop!