F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Xdrive suspension thread
GetBMWParts

05-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #67
JSpec21
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
If your car is an F30 XDrive, there are a wide variety of aftermarket suspension choices. What are you trying to accomplish? Track car? Daily commuter car? Street performance? Local roads are smooth or really rough? Stiffness? Comfort? Knowing your goals helps to zero in on solutions.
What do recommend for a moderate drop? I was looking at the H&R Super Sport but I’m unsure if they are ok to use being that they are meant for the RWD version.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:59 PM   #68
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
There is a thread on F31 suspension options that do a pretty good job of explaining some of the ride height differences. Probably not too different if you have an F30. I've got a Bilstein B12 kit on backorder which is the Bilstein B8 and the Eibach spring which looks to be the most moderate of drops out there with the H&R being the most aggressive.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ghlight=eibach
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 01:10 AM   #69
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ik999 View Post
Does anyone know if the Bilstein B8 will work on a car with EDC and VSS? From what i understand, there is a sensor that mounts to a bracket on the shock body on cars with VSS, which shocks made for cars without EDC will not have. Im looking to replace my shocks, and considering deleting the edc, but not sure what options are on the table.

Thanks in advance
Just get Bilstein B6-Damptronic and keep the expensive high tech Adaptive/EDC that you paid for.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 02:15 AM   #70
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpec21 View Post
What do recommend for a moderate drop? I was looking at the H&R Super Sport but I’m unsure if they are ok to use being that they are meant for the RWD version.
AC Schnitzer / Eibach.
      05-26-2021, 08:30 AM   #71
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpec21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
If your car is an F30 XDrive, there are a wide variety of aftermarket suspension choices. What are you trying to accomplish? Track car? Daily commuter car? Street performance? Local roads are smooth or really rough? Stiffness? Comfort? Knowing your goals helps to zero in on solutions.
A moderate drop on an F3x XDrive is an inch or less in front. More than that I would call a large drop. And avoid dropping the front of an xDrive by more than 1.5". That gets outside of the XDrive suspension design specs and can break expensive drive shafts.

When reading estimated spring drops understand what car is being referenced to begin with. If a spring kit part number says to expect a certain front drop on a heavy 6-cylinder xdrive and you install that same spring part number on a lighter 4-cylinder RWD model, you will NOT get the same estimated drop.

If you examine catalogs of spring manufacturers you will see the same spring part numbers listed as fitting different models. But you should also see them change the drop estimates by car model.

In choosing F3x springs I always consider Eibach offerings first. Eibach springs are about 10% stiffer than stock. So they lower and provide more control without rattling your teeth like Dinan and H&R springs which can be up to 30% stiffer. You can lower with Eibachs with harshing your daily ride.

Eibach also seems to be the only XDrive spring that purposely lowers the front more than the rear to eliminate some of that reverse rake that BMW builds into Xdrive.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #72
Stlblues
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

I can't speak for HR springs but I have the Dinans and can confidently say they are far from teeth rattling. I have lowered various cars in the past and some were much too harsh to be enjoyable so I was worried about the quoted 30% increase with the Dinans but have been very happy with them. Great combination of handling and ride quality and zero complaints about harshness from me or the wife and kids. Feels like the car should have come with them.
Appreciate 1
bigdnno98288.00
      06-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #73
motoring_101
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D X-drive

https://world.ohlins.com/app/uploads...MI_BMSMU00.pdf

This document shows Ohlins R&T are Xdrive compatible

However the setup data only shows G series Xdrive height setting!

Does anyone know if they will fit an F30 Xdrive?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0