F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Can't find any Diesel Stop Start Topics. Please help
Studio RSR

11-28-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
cocolococo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 320D M Performance Parts

Can't find any Diesel Stop Start Topics. Please help

Does anybody know if the Stop-Start is good for Diesel Engines or not? I am always stuck in traffic or traffic lights.

Whether enable stop-start is better for PDF And Carbon buildup or not?

Been coded with remembering the last setting for the Stop-start for a few years already.

Since I remove the muffler, I can hear the PDF regen is really often. Wonder if I turn back on the Stop-start is better with the PDF AND ENGINE?
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      11-28-2019, 09:21 PM   #2
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocolococo View Post
Does anybody know if the Stop-Start is good for Diesel Engines or not? I am always stuck in traffic or traffic lights.

Whether enable stop-start is better for PDF And Carbon buildup or not?

Been coded with remembering the last setting for the Stop-start for a few years already.

Since I remove the muffler, I can hear the PDF regen is really often. Wonder if I turn back on the Stop-start is better with the PDF AND ENGINE?
Are you using start stop for better gas mileage? I have it turned off, mostly because I find the engine turning off and starting back up annoying. From what my local BMW dealer told me, diesels run better when they are hotter, so I imagine it might be best to keep them running. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than myself can be of help.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Leave the auto start OFF, auto start is not related to dpf regen except I believe that if you come to a stop while regen the ASS is disabled
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 02:30 AM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
auto start is not related to dpf regen except I believe that if you come to a stop while regen the ASS is disabled
This isn't true. If you're in the middle of a regen and come to a stop with ASS enabled it'll still shut off the engine, and interrupt your regen. I don't recommend enabling ASS when a regen is occurring.

I run ASS enabled anytime I'm coming to a stoplight that's going to be 20 sec or more.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Some may say that modern engines with start-stop are engineered accordingly. My take on it :

Increased wear on the starter motor.
Increased wear on the main bearings due to a lack of oil pressure at the point that the crank is rotated from stop.
Increased wear on the turbo bearings as the turbo(s) spins-down but without a pressurised oil supply.
Increased timing chain wear due to the increased slack/tension cycles.

I have start-stop coded off as default, i.e. the engine only shuts down when I turn it off or if I activate start-stop (which I never do).
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #6
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

I inquired about this very thing with my BMW-only indy shop mechanic...his take on it was that ever since ASS has been implemented, he has seen a noticeable uptick in starter replacements.

His advice was to leave it off, which I do. What annoys me is that every time I put my car in Eco Pro, I have to also remember to push the off button for ASS. I'm going to have to look into coding it off...that would be lovely because I don't mind the other features that Eco Pro brings.
      11-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Some may say that modern engines with start-stop are engineered accordingly. My take on it :

Increased wear on the starter motor.
Increased wear on the main bearings due to a lack of oil pressure at the point that the crank is rotated from stop.
Increased wear on the turbo bearings as the turbo(s) spins-down but without a pressurised oil supply.
Increased timing chain wear due to the increased slack/tension cycles.

I have start-stop coded off as default, i.e. the engine only shuts down when I turn it off or if I activate start-stop (which I never do).
Nice list.
I would add increased battery discharge.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Timing chain is my biggest deterrent from using it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 06:27 PM   #9
cocolococo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 320D M Performance Parts

Interesting. Some mechanic tells me constantly running diesel engine idle and low rev range will cause carbon buildup, and causing re-gen kick in more often. (Nowadays I often run my car under comfort, which the rev range always stays below 2000. Wonder is it better to stay with sport mode after the engine warm-up.

Since I remove the muffler I can hear the difference in which the exhaust noise is much louder at around 1700-1900 range.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 06:54 PM   #10
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimental View Post
I inquired about this very thing with my BMW-only indy shop mechanic...his take on it was that ever since ASS has been implemented, he has seen a noticeable uptick in starter replacements.

His advice was to leave it off, which I do. What annoys me is that every time I put my car in Eco Pro, I have to also remember to push the off button for ASS. I'm going to have to look into coding it off...that would be lovely because I don't mind the other features that Eco Pro brings.
I believe this is an option in BimmerCode.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #11
Chukker
Mini Cooper, Present F15 Owner
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 D

ASS was developed in order for automobile manufacturers to reach corporate average fuel economy standards. If it was developed to make engines run cleaner, last longer, run faster, etc., I'd probably leave it on. But that's not why it was developed. I think the number of cycles on a starter (even if the starter has been beefed up) the battery, etc., all cause wear and tear. I leave auto start/stop feature "off".
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:05 PM   #12
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

I have a US spec 328d (320d everywhere else) and I leave the ASS off and run in comfort 95% of the time. I do run with the shifter over in S for uphill ramps and passing maneuvers. I also have a 10-15 minute uphill freeway drag back from work every day to generate some heat in the DPF. To be honest, I cannot tell when the car regens.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 08:28 PM   #13
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
I run with it on because I do not yet have the guibo changed from aluminum to rubber, and the vibrations seem to be a cause of transfer case failure.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 06:25 AM   #14
Kriegsschatten
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukker View Post
ASS was developed in order for automobile manufacturers to reach corporate average fuel economy standards. If it was developed to make engines run cleaner, last longer, run faster, etc., I'd probably leave it on. But that's not why it was developed. I think the number of cycles on a starter (even if the starter has been beefed up) the battery, etc., all cause wear and tear. I leave auto start/stop feature "off".
I know this thread is a little bit old. But maybe someone reads it and this might then help.

I used to find the fuel saving quite nice with ASS. But since a few weeks, I completely agree to Chukker. Reason: I had a complete car breakdown that was supposedly caused by ASS.
On a 4h drive over the Autobahn, I drove very fast on the last part from Köln to my home. Everyone knows that the engine gets very hot, especially with a Bi-Turbo-Diesel. After the Autobahn exit, my Start-Stop decided to turn off at a traffic light (forgot that ASS war turned on). Bad enough, but the engine didn't turn on again! Seems the starter got broken or jammed with this hot turn-off. Had to call a towing truck with crane because the car could not be towed: The automatic gearbox needs a functional starter to be put in N.

After replacement of the starter and a big bill, everything works well. But I coded Start-Stop to be permanently off and would recommend everyone to do the same. If its not the starter, than it will be your battery sometime...
Appreciate 1
Chukker27.00
      06-06-2021, 07:40 AM   #15
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriegsschatten View Post
Had to call a towing truck with crane because the car could not be towed: The automatic gearbox needs a functional starter to be put in N.

After replacement of the starter and a big bill, everything works well. But I coded Start-Stop to be permanently off and would recommend everyone to do the same. If its not the starter, than it will be your battery sometime...
Wow, A tow truck with a crane? I don't think I've ever seen one of those. I can't imagine that's cheap at all!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #16
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

7 years and 100k with Eco pro ASS and sail mode has not caused any probs for me but allowed my 335d achieve some astounding economy.

If you do lots of start/stop traffic its saves around 10% on fuel and minimises carbon build up on idle.

For mainly motorway miles ASS will make Jack all difference but may cause probs after hard run then immediate engine stop.

you can easily code it out - which I may do since the pandemic has changed my driving to mainly long journeys
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 01:07 PM   #17
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
Wow, A tow truck with a crane? I don't think I've ever seen one of those. I can't imagine that's cheap at all!
It’s what they have in England instead of rollbacks.

Watch the movie Johnny English to see one in action.

I just flip to sport or manual after a long drive at high speeds.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0