F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Need opinions on new EGR. Wahler vs. Metzger?
ARMA SPEED

05-20-2021, 08:41 AM   #1
SpilltheBimms
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31

Need opinions on new EGR. Wahler vs. Metzger?

That's pretty much it. Replacement is not covered by warranty so I'll do it myself. Auto parts websites state both brands as OEM so probably BMW changed partners sometime in the past?..

What are your opinions?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
I'm in the same boat. To buy some time, I gave the EGR valve a good cleaning. It seems to have done the trick for now.

There is quite a price difference between Wahler and the OE part. Knowing that Wahler makes many parts for German/Euro vehicles (from thermostats, water pumps, etc) I would think it is a quality replacement.
      05-20-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
SpilltheBimms
Enlisted Member
Rep

Initially I also cleaned the valve body. But, in spite of the + 200000 km, it actually wasn't that dirty. I also checked for proper seating (no light shined through the valve when fully closed), installed a new o-ring, and lubricated (it still had some) the rail/roller bearing system on the actuator side.
Soon after, the error light came up again.
After further investigation, I came to the conclusion that the valve stem has some "give/tolerance", enough for it to rotate 1 or 2 degrees around itself. From the valve side, that's not an issue as it is round and closes properly whichever the orientation of the valve stem.
But, when the valve is fully open, this "give/tolerance" causes the small roller bearing on the other side, to misalign itself from the rail where it runs in, and momentarily get stuck, in spite of proper lubrication.
Looking at ISTA+, I think that any (predetermined) deviation between value commanded and value read for more than 50 milliseconds, trips the error light on the instrument panel.

And now, here I am...

Also, I was under the impression that Wahler and Metzger were the OEM's, because when browsing the auto parts webpages they're advertised as such.
However I was just informed by a fellow forum user, that it's actually Pierburg.

P.S.: Just checked my F31. I have Wahler (bought the car used, so not sure it's the factory one - but according to my information, it should be). Looks like there are several OEM's.

I wonder what BMW is using now, for the folks that were recalled...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

I am sure all of you in Europe get a slight variation in manufacturers for the same parts. However, our garage with 2017 X5 35d (N57) and 2018 328d (N47) both had Wahler EGR as original equipment. Mine started sticking, wife's started to let soot escape through, both were replaced through warranty with Wahler as well. Time will tell.
Appreciate 2
      05-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #5
SpilltheBimms
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
I am sure all of you in Europe get a slight variation in manufacturers for the same parts. However, our garage with 2017 X5 35d (N57) and 2018 328d (N47) both had Wahler EGR as original equipment. Mine started sticking, wife's started to let soot escape through, both were replaced through warranty with Wahler as well. Time will tell.
Really appreciate the info, thanks!
Appreciate 0