F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Throat Punch Thursday
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #23
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
6367
Rep
6,481
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

MONTHS ago the dedicated fiber to one of our satellite buildings was supposed to be pulled back into an external junction box. I had removed all the internal hardware. The final sale is up for review Monday night.

The new Facilities director just told me *I* need to go make sure the cabling is pulled back before the sale??? WTF, the work order was completed. If your staff didn't do the work, but completed the WO, we have a much larger problem. . .

Ahh, it shouldn't be an issue, it's a cannabis grow/distribution company that is buying the building. What could POSSIBLY go wrong????
Appreciate 1
kscarrol1680.00

      03-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #24
CTinline-six
Winning
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
2232
Rep
1,505
Posts

Drives: '09 328i, '00 Jeep XJ
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
MONTHS ago the dedicated fiber to one of our satellite buildings was supposed to be pulled back into an external junction box. I had removed all the internal hardware. The final sale is up for review Monday night.

The new Facilities director just told me *I* need to go make sure the cabling is pulled back before the sale??? WTF, the work order was completed. If your staff didn't do the work, but completed the WO, we have a much larger problem. . .

Ahh, it shouldn't be an issue, it's a cannabis grow/distribution company that is buying the building. What could POSSIBLY go wrong????
I just had a conversation about that 20 min ago. "If the ticket wasn't done, why did you click the "complete" button which notifies me and the customer that it has been completed?"
__________________
Josh
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #25
Rmtt
Lieutenant
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
200
Rep
437
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southeast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
You sound like me. Don't have to be at work until 7:30 but I'm usually here sometime between 6:00-6:30 so I can be left alone before the people that just stand around and talk show up. I typically leave to pick up lunch and eat behind my desk "working" (cough....bimmerpost). The biggest difference is that when 4:30 hits my ass is out of the office with the ground on fire behind me.

What do you do?
Engineering Manager in a Specialty Chemical Plant. My degree is in Electrical Engineering and I specialize in Automation and Controls. DCS's, PLC's, HMI's...etc.

But I have worked in Chemicals for so long, that I ended up promoted to this job. So I get to deal with Reactors and new installs, Process Scale-Ups, Structural Integrity work....you name it..I do it.

Best part about the job though is I also have Maintenance reporting to me. They are a great group of people who make my life easier, and in turn I provide them a "buffer" from all the other BS going on.

But the guy I was talking about was a Shipping and Receiving guy that the Manufacturing Manager wanted trained so that he could redo some signs in the warehouse. Since I am one of the guys signed off as a "trainer", I figured I would train him. He asked for another trainer after that incident.

But here is the way I see it...we work in a very dangerous facility. We deal with some very nasty stuff. We are heavily regulated, and even get visits by Homeland Security because of what we make.

So you always need to be constantly aware of what is going on at all times and he likes to make jokes out of everything and my patience wore thin.

Like you...I'm there to be productive and get my job done. I don't want to be there any longer than I have to be. And we have some completely idiotic people working there that wouldn't be if I had my way. Endangering yourself is one thing, but doing that puts everyone else at risk.

I want to go home intact at the end of the day. I take my job seriously, and don't have any sympathy for those who don't follow suit!!
__________________
2011 128i: 3:73 Rear Diff-lots more stuff on the way.
2008 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI
Appreciate 1
Now_Rudi3804.50

      03-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #26
Rmtt
Lieutenant
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
200
Rep
437
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southeast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Me too. In by 6:00 or 6:30. I get so much done before everyone else shows up. There's really no need for me to get in so early but traffic also weighs into the decision. An open roadway is great way to start the day.

But yes, my partner and I have different shifts. So when he wants to have a meeting at 4:00 I want to shoot him.
Same here...I don't sleep much so I am usually up by 3:30 at the latest. I hit the gym, shower, and go to work. I get more stuff done when no one else is around to bother me.

Just because these guys want to hit the snooze button 5 times in a row and see how close they can cut it making it to work doesn't fit my schedule. I go out of the way to make sure they have what they need by the time I do leave.

Otherwise I will tell them it has to wait or they should have thought of it sooner. Only exception is when I get a request by my boss (Company President). Then I make it a point to work around his schedule for 2 reasons:

1. He's my boss.

2. He puts in as many hours at the plant and at home as I do...if not more. And I can appreciate that work ethic.
__________________
2011 128i: 3:73 Rear Diff-lots more stuff on the way.
2008 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI
Appreciate 1
Now_Rudi3804.50

      03-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #27
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Now_Rudi's Avatar
3805
Rep
865
Posts

Drives: Magic Carpet
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: In a cabinet

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Engineering Manager in a Specialty Chemical Plant. My degree is in Electrical Engineering and I specialize in Automation and Controls. DCS's, PLC's, HMI's...etc.

But I have worked in Chemicals for so long, that I ended up promoted to this job. So I get to deal with Reactors and new installs, Process Scale-Ups, Structural Integrity work....you name it..I do it.

Best part about the job though is I also have Maintenance reporting to me. They are a great group of people who make my life easier, and in turn I provide them a "buffer" from all the other BS going on.

But the guy I was talking about was a Shipping and Receiving guy that the Manufacturing Manager wanted trained so that he could redo some signs in the warehouse. Since I am one of the guys signed off as a "trainer", I figured I would train him. He asked for another trainer after that incident.

But here is the way I see it...we work in a very dangerous facility. We deal with some very nasty stuff. We are heavily regulated, and even get visits by Homeland Security because of what we make.

So you always need to be constantly aware of what is going on at all times and he likes to make jokes out of everything and my patience wore thin.

Like you...I'm there to be productive and get my job done. I don't want to be there any longer than I have to be. And we have some completely idiotic people working there that wouldn't be if I had my way. Endangering yourself is one thing, but doing that puts everyone else at risk.

I want to go home intact at the end of the day. I take my job seriously, and don't have any sympathy for those who don't follow suit!!
That's awesome! I'm in a similar type situation but reversed. I'm a Project Coordinator; I handle all the new construction and installation of new equipment. We are food manufacturing facility and our products are highly acidic and flammable so I completely understand the being aware of your environment aspect.

Technically I work in the engineering department of the maintenance end of things but it seems like I'm constantly asking my superior where he is at with getting things finished so that I can move forward with my projects. It's a weird dynamic for me to be working "for" him but he reports to me to a degree.

I was in retail management for years then became a fiber optic tech and once I took this job noticed there were so many opportunities to improve our processes. None of our maintenance employees were certified on Boom/Scissor lifts so I took the initiative to go through an OSHA training class so that I could train those here to keep us on OSHA's good side. I was hired in to my position to handle our capital project budget and push projects across the finish line but now have all little fingers and toes in so many different things, I often wonder how I ended up here.

Last edited by Now_Rudi; 03-15-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt200.00

      03-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #28
Rmtt
Lieutenant
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
200
Rep
437
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southeast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
That's awesome! I'm in a similar type situation but reversed. I'm a Project Coordinator; I handle all the new construction and installation of new equipment. We are food manufacturing facility and our products are highly acidic and flammable so I completely understand the being aware of your environment aspect.

Technically I work in the engineering department of the maintenance end of things but it seems like I'm constantly asking my superior where he is at with getting things finished so that I can move forward with my projects. It's a weird dynamic for me to be working "for" him but he reports to me to a degree.

I was in retial management for years then became a fiber optic tech and once I took this job noticed there were so many opportunities to improve our processes. None of our maintenance employees were certified on Boom/Scissor lifts so I took the initiative to go through an OSHA training class so that I could train those here to keep us on OSHA's good side. I was hired in to my position to handle our capital project budget and push projects across the finish line but now have all little fingers and toes in so many different things, I often wonder how I ended up here.
I feel your pain!!!

Capitol Project work is such a PITA when you have all your "ducks in a row"...and are constantly waiting for other people to finish their contributions.

Luckily, most of our Capitol Projects are ran start to finish by me, and I only have to get input from our EH&S guy, and he and I actually worked at a prior company together...so we are on the same page.

But god we have so much "red tape" to go through to do anything here. Just a simple modification to a reactor requires a Management of Change which I have to fill out that is 12 pages long in addition to any changes I may need to make to a P&ID drawing.

Also my version of AutoCAD is so old, I can boot it up, walk away, and do something else for almost 10 minutes before it's ready to use!
__________________
2011 128i: 3:73 Rear Diff-lots more stuff on the way.
2008 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #29
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Now_Rudi's Avatar
3805
Rep
865
Posts

Drives: Magic Carpet
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: In a cabinet

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I feel your pain!!!

Capitol Project work is such a PITA when you have all your "ducks in a row"...and are constantly waiting for other people to finish their contributions.

Luckily, most of our Capitol Projects are ran start to finish by me, and I only have to get input from our EH&S guy, and he and I actually worked at a prior company together...so we are on the same page.

But god we have so much "red tape" to go through to do anything here. Just a simple modification to a reactor requires a Management of Change which I have to fill out that is 12 pages long in addition to any changes I may need to make to a P&ID drawing.

Also my version of AutoCAD is so old, I can boot it up, walk away, and do something else for almost 10 minutes before it's ready to use!
YES! You completely understand! It's a continual battle of being 3-5 steps ahead of everyone else and constantly trying to forecast their actions or reactions and then plan accordingly so that you aren't behind the 8 ball. you HAVE to be prepared for whatever direction they decide they want to go at the drop of a hat.

My biggest complaint here is lack of communication and accountability. Some here don't want to lose their sense of pride in being transparent to those that it actually helps. I've come to realize that my job, my affiliation with the safety committee and my being a trainer earns me no friends. It doesn't bother me though, I get paid for fact based results not if someone likes me. I try to be fair and honest to everyone here but rationality with factory workers is not common place. Basically whatever department I'm currently working on a project for, I can expect everyone in that department to be upset with me before it's over.

I don't even have AutoCAD. I have to email myself blueprints and manipulate them in a free version of SketchUp on my personal laptop.

Last edited by Now_Rudi; 03-15-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt200.00

      03-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #30
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
10905
Rep
5,869
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
I'm in as long as we have the caveat that it's always Thursday somewhere...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

@[Nyet. Not Russian Hacker](contact:368080)
Ask me hacker question. Hacker question I get answer.
Appreciate 1
kscarrol1680.00

      03-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #31
Rmtt
Lieutenant
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
200
Rep
437
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southeast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
YES! You completely understand! It's a continual battle of being 3-5 steps ahead of everyone else and constantly trying to forecast their actions or reactions and then plan accordingly so that you aren't behind the 8 ball. you HAVE to be prepared for whatever direction they decide they want to go at the drop of a hat.

My biggest complaint here is lack of communication and accountability. Some here don't want to lose their sense of pride in being transparent to those that it actually helps. I've come to realize that my job, my affiliation with the safety committee and my being a trainer earns me no friends. It doesn't bother me though, I get paid for fact based results not if someone likes me. I try to be fair and honest to everyone here but rationality with factory workers is not common place. Basically whatever department I'm currently working on a project for, I can expect everyone in that department to be upset with me before it's over.

I don't even have AutoCAD. I have to email myself blueprints and manipulate them in a free version of SketchUp on my personal laptop.
Once I get back in the office Monday, I will PM you a link to some free software that is CAD compatible. I use it extensively.....it just does not allow for 3D modeling. But for 2D drawings, it's pretty effective and has a nice GUI that makes it easy to learn.

Then you can save or export as a CAD file, or even convert to a PDF. It's really versatile, and can probably be used for 90% of your work.

Virtually has all the features of CAD, and you can build all custom libraries for what you use the most. Also has a layering feature that is rival to AutoCad.

I think you may enjoy it. You can also plot with it.
Appreciate 1
Now_Rudi3804.50

      03-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #32
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Now_Rudi's Avatar
3805
Rep
865
Posts

Drives: Magic Carpet
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: In a cabinet

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
YES! You completely understand! It's a continual battle of being 3-5 steps ahead of everyone else and constantly trying to forecast their actions or reactions and then plan accordingly so that you aren't behind the 8 ball. you HAVE to be prepared for whatever direction they decide they want to go at the drop of a hat.

My biggest complaint here is lack of communication and accountability. Some here don't want to lose their sense of pride in being transparent to those that it actually helps. I've come to realize that my job, my affiliation with the safety committee and my being a trainer earns me no friends. It doesn't bother me though, I get paid for fact based results not if someone likes me. I try to be fair and honest to everyone here but rationality with factory workers is not common place. Basically whatever department I'm currently working on a project for, I can expect everyone in that department to be upset with me before it's over.

I don't even have AutoCAD. I have to email myself blueprints and manipulate them in a free version of SketchUp on my personal laptop.
Once I get back in the office Monday, I will PM you a link to some free software that is CAD compatible. I use it extensively.....it just does not allow for 3D modeling. But for 2D drawings, it's pretty effective and has a nice GUI that makes it easy to learn.

Then you can save or export as a CAD file, or even convert to a PDF. It's really versatile, and can probably be used for 90% of your work.

Virtually has all the features of CAD, and you can build all custom libraries for what you use the most. Also has a layering feature that is rival to AutoCad.

I think you may enjoy it. You can also plot with it.
Thank you sir! I appreciate that!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt200.00

      03-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #33
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
3676
Rep
11,631
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

ugh i wanna throat punch 2 of my coworkers who just need to retire as they voted down switching to a 12 hour schedule where we would gain an extra $6k a year along with 84 more days off a year and they fucking said "No Thanks!"
__________________
~CinnamonLeatherInterior~21"3Piece AlphaForgedWheels~BMSgoldTitaniumLugz~ 3dCarbonRearSpoiler~3dCarbonFrontLip~3dCarbonSideS kirtExtensions~DTMCarbonDiffuser~CarbonWrapPUFront Splitter~CarbonRearSplitters~PUrearDiffuserTray~
~CarbonEmblems~LedermanzWheel~ShadowlineKit~Double SlatGrills~WstyleCarbonRoofSpoiler~CarbonMirrorCov ers~MeisterschaftEVC90mmQuadExhaust~CarbonTipCover s~KWV1Coilovers~MStylePedals~G2GoldCalipers~35%Tin T~
Appreciate 1
MKSixer10905.00

      03-18-2019, 05:09 AM   #34
Rmtt
Lieutenant
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
200
Rep
437
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southeast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Thank you sir! I appreciate that!
PM Sent!
__________________
2011 128i: 3:73 Rear Diff-lots more stuff on the way.
2008 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI
Appreciate 1
Now_Rudi3804.50

      03-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #35
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Now_Rudi's Avatar
3805
Rep
865
Posts

Drives: Magic Carpet
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: In a cabinet

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
PM Sent!
Grazi!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST