F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > O-ring seals for charge pipes
GetBMWParts

11-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #45
thejeremyman9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw0n View Post
Damn... I'm also part of that 9/9 batch. xph even reached out to me and asked if I wanted to proceed w/ the order. Should've cancelled and went w/ CTS Turbo *facepalm*

I still have my stock IC on, is it even worth changing it out at this point?
I was in the exact same boat. I got the email with the option to cancel the order (because XPH did not give any indication it was out of stock when the order was placed). I almost did and went with the AA CP+IC combo deal instead, but decided to stick to VRSF. I also saw CTS on sale at the same time and almost ordered that... Of course i regret that decision now, lol.

Of course the IC upgrade is worth it, but I would not attempt the install without the Orings i mentioned above. Since you have all this information before doing the install, i suspect you can get it right the first time and avoid going through multiple installs and trial and error. Just get the Orings and test the CP-IC connection with the IC on the ground. Once you are confident one of the Orings will seal, the install itself isnt bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #46
bdragon46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Well, glad to hear it helped someone else. Did you use the 4mmx59mm for those two connections to the IC?

I suspect it went above target because your WGDC and other adaptations were making up for a boost leak. If you reset adaptations or just give it some time i imagine the boost control will be on point.
Yes. Ordered both o rings for the ic and the one for the tic.

That's what I figured after looking over the log and also noticed that the wgdc was slightly higher than before. Reset the adaption but haven't gotten a chance to do another log.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #47
CRAMAZIN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32

Hi all, been reading this thread and I'm about to get my CP installed and I just want to make sure I put the O rings in correctly.

As mentioned the O rings from the CP to the IC is directional. which way should it be if say the top was the CP and bottom was IC.

I've been playing around with both ways and both seems to fit in nicely, although one way was a lot easier to go in than the other.
It seems like the O ring on the left of the CP in the picture is the right way if I was to put it in, but I could be wrong.

See pictures below.
Attached Images

Last edited by CRAMAZIN; 11-08-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #48
alohasurftoad
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i gran coupe

in your pic, the o-ring on the right is the correct orientation

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=o-ring&page=2

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 11-08-2019 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #49
CRAMAZIN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
in your pic, the o-ring on the right is the correct orientation

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=o-ring&page=2
So the flare part goes into the charge pipe first because the IC goes into the CP and not the other way around. OK I think I get it now.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #50
alohasurftoad
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAMAZIN View Post
So the flare part goes into the charge pipe first because the IC goes into the CP and not the other way around. OK I think I get it now.
i consider it somewhat of a "barb" flap. it is the way that the charge pipe will slide on to the intercooler the easiest.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #51
thejeremyman9
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i consider it somewhat of a "barb" flap. it is the way that the charge pipe will slide on to the intercooler the easiest.
Correct. Confirming that the correct orientation is the Oring on the right in your picture above. The Oring is tapered in such a way that it facilitates sliding onto the IC and when the CP is fully seated, the taper is sitting against the portion of the IC connection where it increases in diameter (and angled for that reason).

When you install, you can lightly oil with motor oil. Just make sure the Oring does not wrinkle.

If there is any side to side play once the CP is clipped on, i would be suspicious of a potential boost leak.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #52
CRAMAZIN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Correct. Confirming that the correct orientation is the Oring on the right in your picture above. The Oring is tapered in such a way that it facilitates sliding onto the IC and when the CP is fully seated, the taper is sitting against the portion of the IC connection where it increases in diameter (and angled for that reason).

When you install, you can lightly oil with motor oil. Just make sure the Oring does not wrinkle.

If there is any side to side play once the CP is clipped on, i would be suspicious of a potential boost leak.
Do I need to put oil on it for install or is that just for a test? I got a brand new O rings for the install to avoid future problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #53
thejeremyman9
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAMAZIN View Post
Do I need to put oil on it for install or is that just for a test? I got a brand new O rings for the install to avoid future problems.
I would recommend the oil, but it may not be "required". Just dab your finger in motor oil and wipe it around the circumference on the Oring. You can even use oil that may already be in your CP. You just dont want the Oring to catch and wrinkle or not sit correctly if its a tight fit when you slide on. Some people use silicone lubricant or something else, but oil is usually already there.
Appreciate 1