F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > To those with the M Performance Front Lip...
ARMA SPEED

04-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #89
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoertge View Post
This is a perfect example. Not too practical on dirt roads, camping.
You got some balls bro!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #90
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital View Post
Is the splitter easy to remove without any damage if I was to install it on a lease car?
8 expanding rivets is all... assuming your dealer won't jack up your car and ask why there are eight 6mm holes drilled on the bottom of your bumper
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #91
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy
Quote:
Is the splitter easy to remove without any damage if I was to install it on a lease car?
8 expanding rivets is all... assuming your dealer won't jack up your car and ask why there are eight 6mm holes drilled on the bottom of your bumper
Yikes. Sounds like a bad idea for a lease
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #92
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yikes. Sounds like a bad idea for a lease
Those holes might already be there... Just pop under there and take a peek. Mine were already there. Four on each side...

Btw.. if they are there, it will take you 15 mins to install this thing once the car is jacked up and 5 mins to de-install back to OEM... and no one will be the wiser
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:30 PM   #93
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Here is the secret weapon... these and a pair of needle nose pliers. Don't make me send you 8 of these Bobby!!! Actually, the pliers are only used to take them off. You can put them ON with your fingers

1. push rivet into hole
2. push pin into rivet
3. profit!!
Attached Images

Last edited by squidlyboy; 04-13-2015 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2015, 11:49 PM   #94
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy
Here is the secret weapon... these and a pair of needle nose pliers. Don't make me send you 8 of these Bobby!!! Actually, the pliers are only used to take them off. You can put them ON with your fingers

1. push rivet into hole
2. push pin into rivet
3. profit!!
Ha! Thanks for the tip and encouragement

I have to decide whether it'll look good on a car of stock height. Also need to compare the ground clearance to my '04 Z4 which is actually pretty low.

Anyone have ground clearance in inches on stock height?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #95
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Thanks again for helping in these DIY posts and in PM.

So I got my car up enough to see all holes clearly.

- I don't have the #1 holes. This must get drilled when the OEM lip is installed. I'll have to drill them.

- Holes 2 and 3 have existing rivets and they will go through the inner bracket of the lip.

- Hole 4 is there as well with another rivet. But the rivet will NOT go through the inner lip bracket...just through the lip itself, correct?
[Nevermind, I saw other pics you posted and this is correct]

- There is another hole in the bracket that sits roughly between hole 3 and hole 4. There is no matching hole in the bumper and the hole in the bracket gets covered by the lip. I assume this doesn't get used?
[Nevermind, I saw other pics you posted and this is correct.]

- There are three other holes in the bracket, not in the same line as the others. These also would get covered by the lip. I assume these are not used either? If they were, there is no way one could insert the rivets unless the bracket was attached to car first, THEN the lip snapped on.
[Nevermind, I saw other pics you posted and this is correct.]

- There are no holes in the middle of the bumper for the middle post of the lip/bracket. I'll have to drill those too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Those holes might already be there... Just pop under there and take a peek. Mine were already there. Four on each side...

Btw.. if they are there, it will take you 15 mins to install this thing once the car is jacked up and 5 mins to de-install back to OEM... and no one will be the wiser

Last edited by Fronzdan; 05-16-2015 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #96
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
- There are no holes in the middle of the bumper for the middle post of the lip/bracket. I'll have to drill those too.
The two plastic screws that came along with your Selma lip should be enough to drive through the bumper without drilling. But its up to you if you want to do a pilot hole first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
- There are three other holes in the bracket, not in the same line as the others. These also would get covered by the lip. I assume these are not used either? If they were, there is no way one could insert the rivets unless the bracket was attached to car first, THEN the lip snapped on.
You noticed the extra secret bracket holes as well... I noticed these sometime later and figured that a real paranoid person could attach 4 more rivets per side (so 8 total) to make their Lip/Adapter assembly SUPER secure. But my factory/dealer installed M-Sport bumper did not have corresponding pre-drilled holes for these extra bracket holes, so i would have had to do extra drilling here.

And as you noticed, the order of doing things would have to be done differently. It would be:

1) Drill these extra bracket holes in the bumper
2) Attach rivets to these extra bracket holes FIRST to pre-secure bracket-only to bumper
3) THEN attach the 10 c-clips/screws to secure the Lip to the already installed Adapter. So you would have to do these 10 c-clips/screws upside down under the car instead of in your living room as pre-work. That makes the install a little more difficult, but not much more...
4) Attach rivets to #1, #2, #3, #4 (for both sides, so 8 total) as usual to attach Lip/Adapter assembly to bumper
5) Screw 2 center screws through the Lip/Adapter assembly center to bumper

The difference in doing so would add 8 additional rivets to secure the bracket itself to the bumper. A little overkill, and thats probably why the factory/dealership doesn't use these extra holes as well.

The 8 that are currently used are plenty IMO. The Lip is not going anywhere.

I was planning to add this to the DIY as an option, but i needed a little break from all that writing ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:49 AM   #97
tashagildea
Registered
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCR0303 View Post
Or any front lip for that matter...

How do you guys live with it? Is your BMW not your daily? I have it on my car and I find it really inconvenient. It has significantly reduced my clearance and although I'm getting better at not scratching it, it inevitably gets scrapes. Going extremely slow and angled and everything, it's just worrisome and inconvenient. Especially since I had a fiasco before where I had it fall off on me ON the freeway (yes it was bolted on, cause unknown), got it replaced with a new one yet I'm still worried over time it might fall off again if it takes too much damage/stress.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the look it adds to the car but I'm starting to stress over it too much.

And if I decide I don't want it, anyone want to buy F32 Autotecknic Front Lip? Price half off...
the ABS plastic front lip i bought lasted 2 weeks on my car. carbon fibre one is on the way hopefully it holds out longer!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 09:04 AM   #98
Vico56
Registered
Rep
Drives: 440i M Performance

I drive in Manitoba, Canada, and the roads are not very good here. After driving 43000km I am amazed by the sturdiness of the M Performance splitter cause it's taking a beating here. Yesterday again while driving in a shitty street in Winnipeg it hit the ground quite strongly I honestly thought twas' broken, but no as you can see on the pictures lol.

Still, anticipating it'll happen soon enough, and not wanting to pay the BMW price. What carbon fiber splitter would you recommand ? I found those 2 online the price is fair and they look good :

https://www.********.com/184/1/0/73/...front-lip.html

https://x-ph.com/xph-performance-loo...-f36-4-series/

Thanks !!!
Appreciate 0