F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car engine starts itself
GetBMWParts

05-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
DR-Z
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWs: 530d 2013, X1 2.0D 2016

Car engine starts itself

This may have been covered before, but twice my F30 330D (2014) engine has started itself after being locked up and left. The first time I was 120 miles away in London when I got an e-mail from the fleet guy to say it was sitting in the train station carpark with lights on and engine running. The second time was yesterday in the car park at work, so far less of a problem. But maybe it's happened before without me knowing.

This is what happens, I think. I park the car and press the stop/start button to turn the engine off. Radio is still playing, but I get out of the car and lock it with the remote - this turns the radio off and locks the car. I go away, with the keys, and assume that's the end of it. But the engine later starts itself - WHY?

Maybe I need to press the stop/start button a second time, turning the radio off , and somehow properly shutting everything down? I don't recall this being explained to me or the manual saying I have to do this.

Anyone else have this happen? Is it a fault with the car, or just user-error?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Never had it(that I know of?!?) but I'm certain mine will only start with the brake pedal depressed. Sounds like a problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

That's a huge problem, must be a coding error, you need to break pressed before it will actually start, it may be something to do with the preset climate control thing where you can have it heat up or air con on 10 mins before you get in and drive to work etc...

Personally, that's a huge security issue, so call your dealer asap x
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Could be ASS restarting without you realising. You lock the car with engine already running.

Are 100% sure you pressed the Start/Stop button? I ask as I did this with a 328i I borrowed, filled it with fuel and came back to a running car.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D View Post
it may be something to do with the preset climate control thing where you can have it heat up or air con on 10 mins before you get in and drive to work etc...
That function doesn't start the engine. You can't have it heat up or cool down; it simply ventilates. Still really useful on a hot day though.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d, MP pack, ACS springs

+1 on the not pressing start/stop. I've done it three or four times now. Once I stopped, happily walked to meeting, then came back 3 hrs later to a nice and warm running car!

Also as the 6 pot diesel is such a smooth and quiet machine, I may have even walked away with it ticking over! Sounds idiotic but I have a hectic job and a 10 month old so pilot error has to be the reason for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

^^^ This.
Car was stopped by way of ASS, I got out, when I returned 5 mins later, car was running.
Lesson learnt, always press the car off when you get out
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
you either have a fault or not turning it off properly.

Personally I always press the button until all power is cut off. Did read in auto express some time ago about a lady who did the same but in a petrol 4 series

OR

It's possessed by

SATAN

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
alpine330D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430D GC

As above,for the car to start without the brake held and start/stop pressed would be a serious coding/wiring loom fault.Id either turn the engine off before you leave the car or call your dealer/ghost busters asap :P
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
workshybum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

This thread is crazy! Is there not even a warning sound to alert you that you haven't turned he car off properly? Seems like a major safety/security issue if cars can restart themselves once the driver has left the scene.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
Hoppy_70
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 335d m Sport

Think this may be more common than people think. It does seem to be quite easy to think the car is switched off when it's actually in ready mode. I saw one at the Trafford centre last week, parked and running with the doors locked....

Not done it myself yet and probably won't now I know it's a risk!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

I have gotten out of car and forgot to turn off engine, only once and noticed as left lights on lol.

Modern technology is great
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
Steve Soper's love child
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by workshybum View Post
This thread is crazy! Is there not even a warning sound to alert you that you haven't turned he car off properly? Seems like a major safety/security issue if cars can restart themselves once the driver has left the scene.
Yeah the radio makes sense now why you have to double tap, but then if you single tapped it all turned off wouldn't it make more sense
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #14
WullieD20
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Gran Coupe

I have to agree with most of the posts above, despite not experiencing an engine restart in my absence. However, I do fail to understand how, with key-less ignition, how I can get out of the car with my keys in my pocket, lock it up and walk away leaving the engine running (for ever more and regardless of key location; ie I could be miles away!!!). How can this be correct, with no indication or warning that the engine is still running.
I haven't managed to do this inadvertently yet, but tried it out deliberately the other day with my son in attendance. We proved that if the car wasn't actually locked, but the engine was still running, someone could get in and drive the car away, just as if the keys were actually IN the ignition, with no trouble (or intervening action by the vehicle). Wouldn't you think that if the keys were 'out of range' the car may even come to a grinding halt???? NOPE!!!
Just another aspect of electronically controlled vehicles that the manufacturers don't seem to have considered adequately enough.
You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....F36, 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport Auto; Tanzanite Blue; ACS springs, ACS engine tuning upgrade; ASC rear exhaust box (non-export). Need NRFs!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #15
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

This might not be related to ASS.

On my car (nov 13) if the ASS has stopped the engine and the drivers door is opened the car properly shuts down. Goes into P, rev counter drops from ready to off position and engine switches off.
To move the car again you need to foot on brake and press the button.

Maybe it's something on cars after a particular build date and earlier ones don't shut down. I dunno but I'd be interested to find out.

OP as a temporary measure I suggest you use a disklok.
Any opportunistic toe rag could walk past, smash a window and drive off.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #16
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
This might not be related to ASS.

On my car (nov 13) if the ASS has stopped the engine and the drivers door is opened the car properly shuts down. Goes into P, rev counter drops from ready to off position and engine switches off.
To move the car again you need to foot on brake and press the button.

Maybe it's something on cars after a particular build date and earlier ones don't shut down. I dunno but I'd be interested to find out.

OP as a temporary measure I suggest you use a disklok.
Any opportunistic toe rag could walk past, smash a window and drive off.
You are correct mate! So it's not ASS restarting the car.

I should think it's most likely that the OP didn't turn the engine off before exiting the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d, MP pack, ACS springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
You are correct mate! So it's not ASS restarting the car.

I should think it's most likely that the OP didn't turn the engine off before exiting the car.
Also doesn't help that the stereo stays on when you open the door thus making it harder to hear the engine. Yes I know you can code this out but I really don't dare do it (seriously I am 'El Diablo' to anything electronic).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #18
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-Z View Post
This may have been covered before, but twice my F30 330D (2014) engine has started itself after being locked up and left. The first time I was 120 miles away in London when I got an e-mail from the fleet guy to say it was sitting in the train station carpark with lights on and engine running. The second time was yesterday in the car park at work, so far less of a problem. But maybe it's happened before without me knowing.

This is what happens, I think. I park the car and press the stop/start button to turn the engine off. Radio is still playing, but I get out of the car and lock it with the remote - this turns the radio off and locks the car. I go away, with the keys, and assume that's the end of it. But the engine later starts itself - WHY?

Maybe I need to press the stop/start button a second time, turning the radio off , and somehow properly shutting everything down? I don't recall this being explained to me or the manual saying I have to do this.

Anyone else have this happen? Is it a fault with the car, or just user-error?
Swmbo did exactly the same thing.

Engine running lights on after she swears it was locked. Never happened before or since.

I put it down to user error. Told her press to stop then foot off brake then press stop to turn radio off. I thought ASS had kicked in and soon as she got out, it restarted, she didn't hear it and locked the car.

Today I parked the car, the ASS kicked in and I managed to get out of the car without the car restarting ( I'd accidentally put the auto into park) ... But the car realised it, switched ASS and engine off with a warning.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 03:23 AM   #19
JB14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 320D MSport EBII

It is ASS and there is a warning on the dash with an audible bong.

If ASS stops engine and you then open the door the message reads something like 'ignition still on' in amber.

If you don't hear it or see it then you can lock car and walk away quite easily.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #20
FRG
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 325d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WullieD20
I have to agree with most of the posts above, despite not experiencing an engine restart in my absence. However, I do fail to understand how, with key-less ignition, how I can get out of the car with my keys in my pocket, lock it up and walk away leaving the engine running (for ever more and regardless of key location; ie I could be miles away!!!). How can this be correct, with no indication or warning that the engine is still running.
I haven't managed to do this inadvertently yet, but tried it out deliberately the other day with my son in attendance. We proved that if the car wasn't actually locked, but the engine was still running, someone could get in and drive the car away, just as if the keys were actually IN the ignition, with no trouble (or intervening action by the vehicle). Wouldn't you think that if the keys were 'out of range' the car may even come to a grinding halt???? NOPE!!!
Just another aspect of electronically controlled vehicles that the manufacturers don't seem to have considered adequately enough.
I have an F10 and this does not happen at all. My wife had started the car whilst I was in the passenger seat, I then got out for some reason and she went to reverse but the car wouldn't engage any gear. It took some working out but I realised it was because the keys were in my pocket and once I'd placed them inside the car it was fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #21
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Could be ASS restarting without you realising. You lock the car with engine already running.
Are 100% sure you pressed the Start/Stop button? I ask as I did this with a 328i I borrowed, filled it with fuel and came back to a running car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperyshoe View Post
+1 on the not pressing start/stop. I've done it three or four times now. Once I stopped, happily walked to meeting, then came back 3 hrs later to a nice and warm running car!

Also as the 6 pot diesel is such a smooth and quiet machine, I may have even walked away with it ticking over! Sounds idiotic but I have a hectic job and a 10 month old so pilot error has to be the reason for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter_74 View Post
^^^ This.
Car was stopped by way of ASS, I got out, when I returned 5 mins later, car was running.
Lesson learnt, always press the car off when you get out

This is all wrong. Sorry to be blunt.

If the car is in ASS 'Ready' mode, when you open the door it turns itself to OFF mode (and bongs at you IIRC) and further when you lock the car it kills everything also. The OP said this has happened as they have seen the electrics go off and radio silence.

Sounds more like a specific fault with this one

EDIT - I see others have already made the points above, I probably should've read the entire thread before posting

The point remains though - OP you need to get your car booked in!
      05-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #22
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

I bet the needle was sat on READY not OFF and as suggested you had not turned the engine off.
Appreciate 0