F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > XDelete- the answer to XDrive?
Studio RSR

01-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #23
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

If (and only IF) it was a stock feature to be able to disable the AWD on demand, I would pay for that option and I am sure I would enjoy playing occasionally with RWD only.
I would however not jeopardise both car health and safety by an aftermarket product.
As others have written already - I bought X-Drive for a reason. RWD was never an option.
      01-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
It seems like a solid case to me. I don't think they're saying that it causes them to fail. Moreso if yours does fail and you want to keep driving the car, you can just disable the xdrive to keep using it until you can repair/replace.
No, I'm not reading they say 'delete' causes the transfer case to fail, they don't even suggest that in the statement.

They simply recognise they can fail, (as we all know they can and do), and then state 'delete' allows you to drive without repair.

Quote:
•As the xDrive’s transfer components fail here and there and are expensive, you may also just turn it off, instead of repairing.
"Instead of repairing", that's when the whole subject lost credibility to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #25
Simon89
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XDrive

I'm getting mixed feelings from this - at first it sounded like a nice to have but anything involving the transfer case scares the bejesus out of me
      01-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #26
SteelBlue46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 335i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon89 View Post
I'm getting mixed feelings from this - at first it sounded like a nice to have but anything involving the transfer case scares the bejesus out of me
I think it would be something neat to use ans mess around with in a parking lot for 10 minutes but nothing I would leave on for a length of time until there are proven long term tests that show it's safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #27
F30.nyxie
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi - N20 Engine

You can pull the fuse on any i xdrive bmw to disable the transfer case and make it RWD, however it’s not a quick and handy process and it lights up your dash like a christmas tree. We use to do it when we dyno’d our car.
Having this feature on the fly, for a mere $150, sounds pretty good to me.
Burnout fun, dyno fun, winter parking lot fun. Why not?

The i xdrive cars are basically RWD, with an AWD tc component installed. Guy is a genius for figuring this coding out actually 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #28
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

"Instead of repairing", that's when the whole subject lost credibility to me.
Gotcha. I mean it's pretty common especially if its peoples daily drivers, but I guess I understand the reservations. I just know like in the case where I've snapped an axle, it would be nice to at least limp my car home instead of waiting an hour for AAA.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #29
Gbtr6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

I have X-Drive, and with the current split, I can get the back out in the snow. It's a nice predictable drift out. I like X-Drive, and do not notice the 'Under Steery' aspect.

Perry
      01-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #30
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Xdrive isn't permanent. It's an add on to BMWS rwd config. The transfer case controls when and how much power goes to the front axles in certain conditions. xHP simply modifies this algorithm, the same way BM3 and others modify your DME tune. If you can trust aftermarket tuners you shouldn't have problems with this.

In layman's terms you will just be removing the transfer cases recognition of said scenarios it would engage it's clutch and send power to the front. Leaving the clutch disengaged for long periods of time will not increase wear. It's not being used. This will INCREASE the tranfer case's lifespan as its being used LESS. Simple logic. This is exactly how it is done in the new Ms, albeit they likely have beefier transfer cases for the torquier engines.

Anyone who purchases xdrive does it because they value power to all four wheels more than the better driving dynamics of a rwd config. If you could have both, some of you would have added the option at factory. Give BMW time and this tech will tickle down to all of their models. F90 M5 now, G80 M3 next, everyone later likely
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 3
akgambino271.50
natesi204.00
      01-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #31
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Don't crucify me, but I think it would be cool, too, if there was an option to add a "snow mode" that puts a little more power to the front wheels (or maybe forces a 50/50 split, front to rear). I noticed when hooning in the snow that more power goes to the rear wheels with xdrive -- which is FUN -- but xdrive doesn't "pull" you out of oversteer conditions when you're heavy on the gas -- due to the RWD bias. Again, the ONLY time I would want this is for snowy conditions -- to have the car pull me through, rather than push. In dry conditions, I prefer the RWD bias.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #32
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
Don't crucify me, but I think it would be cool, too, if there was an option to add a "snow mode" that puts a little more power to the front wheels (or maybe forces a 50/50 split, front to rear). I noticed when hooning in the snow that more power goes to the rear wheels with xdrive -- which is FUN -- but xdrive doesn't "pull" you out of oversteer conditions when you're heavy on the gas -- due to the RWD bias. Again, the ONLY time I would want this is for snowy conditions -- to have the car pull me through, rather than push. In dry conditions, I prefer the RWD bias.
If you think xDrive is not pulling you out of trouble, then you are doing something wrong. Proper modulation of the gas is essential, too much and you spin out, too little and the front does not pull. I do this for fun every day and since I do not get it right everytime, I easily learn how it is not the car and it just me.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #33
rgolding
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 Supra A91-MT

This is interesting, seems like there is mixed feelings about it. I think it would be cool to have for the occasional parking lot drifting, burnouts, mountain driving drifts, snow fun, etc. but would most likely leave xDrive enabled for the majority of the time, and only disable it for the fun times. I think I will wait it out and get a feeler for how others with F chasis report with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #34
DLag30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3 & F36

bookmarked for future reference.

Can't wait for the F series version
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 05:52 AM   #35
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney921 View Post
It's a small segment of the market, but US-spec F31s only come with xDrive. If RWD were an option then I'd have been all over it.
+ 6sp manual!

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #36
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

With some aggressive throttle, I have no issues doing controlled slides with x-drive. I do get a bit of understeer on corners, but there is a lot of body roll at the front which could be fixed with upgraded sways.

So once this mod is done, you basically have a 1WD car? I don't know of any LSD options for the x-drive (might be wrong, but haven't seen any).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #37
Sweeney921
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW E39 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney921 View Post
It's a small segment of the market, but US-spec F31s only come with xDrive. If RWD were an option then I'd have been all over it.
+ 6sp manual!
I know right?!? I've researched the hell out of doing a manual swap, but it would get very expensive real quick.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #38
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
With some aggressive throttle, I have no issues doing controlled slides with x-drive. I do get a bit of understeer on corners, but there is a lot of body roll at the front which could be fixed with upgraded sways.

So once this mod is done, you basically have a 1WD car? I don't know of any LSD options for the x-drive (might be wrong, but haven't seen any).
All of the current lsd options will fit an xdrive car. We use the same rear end as rwd. The difference is only in the front (tcase, axles, a few suspension components).

Since xdrive is rear biased and sends power back there all the time, and to the front to a max of 40% in slippage situations, I don't believe an lsd would cause us any issues. It is perfectly fine in Audi cars, but they use a front and rear locking diff. We would just be using a single rear locking diff.

For eg. Since the rear would only slip a maximum of ~30% xdrive may then send only a max of 30% to the front axles. With xDelete that would never occur and all power would go to the rear, with a max slippage of 30%. Correct me where wrong.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #39
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Not sure what you mean by those percentages but XDrive, while biased to 60:40 rear:front, by default, can distribute power dynamically to whichever axle or wheel requires it!

03-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #40
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

[QUOTE=Logicoeur;24456998]All of the current lsd options will fit an xdrive car. We use the same rear end as rwd. The difference is only in the front (tcase, axles, a few suspension components).

I will not speak to other years and models but I can tell you with one hundred percent certainty the LSD offered by BMW in 2016 for 2016 model year cars will not work with a 2016 xDrive 340, I know this because I had the Dealer try to install it in mine when I had the MPPSK installed. In 2016 and possibly other years xDrive used different rear axles than RWD, according to my Dealer there was no way to make it work, and they really wanted to make it work as they were afraid I'd walk away and leave them with an MPPSK kit they could not sell and the LSD unit they are perhaps still trying to sell.
      03-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #41
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

[QUOTE=Beek;24457325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
All of the current lsd options will fit an xdrive car. We use the same rear end as rwd. The difference is only in the front (tcase, axles, a few suspension components).

I will not speak to other years and models but I can tell you with one hundred percent certainty the LSD offered by BMW in 2016 for 2016 model year cars will not work with a 2016 xDrive 340, I know this because I had the Dealer try to install it in mine when I had the MPPSK installed. In 2016 and possibly other years xDrive used different rear axles than RWD, according to my Dealer there was no way to make it work, and they really wanted to make it work as they were afraid I'd walk away and leave them with an MPPSK kit they could not sell and the LSD unit they are perhaps still trying to sell.
That was my understanding back in 2016 as well. I did just check the BMW parts website, and they list LSD for our 2016 340 xdrive now.

I'd like to get an LSD like the torque vectoring sport diff in my Audi SQ5. There is a traffic circle leaving my work that the bloated SQ5 drives around like on rails. My 340 xdrive understeers like a mofo on that same circle.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #42
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

[QUOTE=Wires;24459999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post

That was my understanding back in 2016 as well. I did just check the BMW parts website, and they list LSD for our 2016 340 xdrive now.

I'd like to get an LSD like the torque vectoring sport diff in my Audi SQ5. There is a traffic circle leaving my work that the bloated SQ5 drives around like on rails. My 340 xdrive understeers like a mofo on that same circle.
Good to know, now I've got to decide whether to upgrade my 340, buy an M340 or do what I really want to do and scratch that M itch with an M2 competition ... decisions decisions?
      03-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #43
VVlasy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 440i xDrive GC with MPPSK

To those saying disabling the front wheels causes more wear, I can speak from experience. I once had TC disable itself on snow, due to heat, and only the rear wheels were spinning. Until someone has evidence to show that there is excess wear, stop spreading misinformation.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #44
SteelBlue46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 335i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVlasy View Post
To those saying disabling the front wheels causes more wear, I can speak from experience. I once had TC disable itself on snow, due to heat, and only the rear wheels were spinning. Until someone has evidence to show that there is excess wear, stop spreading misinformation.
Different platform but my old E70 X5 had a drivetrain fault once and it automatically disabled traction control and defaulted to RWD. I think under normal driving conditions no damage will occur because everything is still spinning as it normally would just the clutch not being coupled. I think the only time "wear" from heat would occur is when the rear wheels are spinning and the front isnt for prolonged periods. such as dyno pulls. The creators do say if you are using it on a dyno to give the car a break between pulls to cool the transfer case.
Appreciate 0