F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > How to make car more tossable
Extreme Powerhouse

10-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #23
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
I’ll have the shop take your suggestion into consideration. Aren’t you running this exact same setup without issues? That’s your negative camber set to?
Yes I have the same K-MAC tension strut and wishbone bushings, however my ride height isn't much lower than OE. My hub to fender distance is about 14" in the front. IIRC my lowest front hub to fender distance was around 13.75".

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #24
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Well, K-MAC said there shouldn’t be any problems even if your car is lowered so I don’t know if he understood what I was asking, but nevertheless, my shop said they’re going to look at the entire geometry of the suspension and arms after install and go from there with best adjustments.
      10-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #25
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkiledj View Post
I have a f30 335ix 6MT. Love the car but even with Dinan springs, bump stops, Shockware, car still feels as heavy as it is. Any advice on making the car feel more nibble? How about sway bars?
You f'ed up by getting a 335i. You should have gone with a mid 2000s dually with a lift kit if you really want nimble handling.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #26
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, K-MAC said there shouldn’t be any problems even if your car is lowered so I don’t know if he understood what I was asking, but nevertheless, my shop said they’re going to look at the entire geometry of the suspension and arms after install and go from there with best adjustments.
Australia doesn't get any xDrive F3x, so K-MAC wouldn't know at what lowering limit their camber bushings cause axle failure.

I did the beta testing for the tension strut and camber bushings for K-MAC. It was VERY obvious that they hadn't tried to put them on our xDrive cars when I got the parts. I went through three iterations of the tension strut bushings alone.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
pkiledj46.00
      10-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #27
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Australia doesn't get any xDrive F3x, so K-MAC wouldn't know at what lowering limit their camber bushings cause axle failure.

I did the beta testing for the tension strut and camber bushings for K-MAC. It was VERY obvious that they hadn't tried to put them on our xDrive cars when I got the parts. I went through three iterations of the tension strut bushings alone.
So is there anything that the shop can do to safely extract maximum or close to maximum negative camber with these bushings on a lowered car?
If not, I might just return these and call it a day. Why pay for these and risk damage for hardly any camber?
      10-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #28
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So is there anything that the shop can do to safely extract maximum or close to maximum negative camber with these bushings on a lowered car?
If not, I might just return these and call it a day. Why pay for these and risk damage for hardly any camber?
Maybe they can try and feel how close the axle is to popping while they adjust the camber, but aside from that, I don't think any shop is going to want to take the task on (or the liability).

You still need to do your homework too by taking a look at your suspension geometry with the current amount of lowering you have and seeing what your hub to fender measurements are.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:18 PM   #29
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 6MT xDrive M-Adaptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
I have a f30 335ix 6MT. Love the car but even with Dinan springs, bump stops, Shockware, car still feels as heavy as it is. Any advice on making the car feel more nibble? How about sway bars?
You f'ed up by getting a 335i. You should have gone with a mid 2000s dually with a lift kit if you really want nimble handling.
Not nimble
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #30
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe they can try and feel how close the axle is to popping while they adjust the camber, but aside from that, I don't think any shop is going to want to take the task on (or the liability).

You still need to do your homework too by taking a look at your suspension geometry with the current amount of lowering you have and seeing what your hub to fender measurements are.
A quick measurement from the center of the hub to fender shows exactly 13.5 inches

Last edited by McLaren720s; 10-23-2019 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 06:11 PM   #31
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Get camber plates and a more aggressive alignment up front.

Rear Sway bar

Stiffer rear springs
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
Lancelot567.50
      10-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #32
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Quote:
A quick measurement from the center of the hub to fender shows exactly 13.5 inches
I'm at 13.5" and I ran -1.1 no problem when I had camber bushings
      10-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #33
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Get camber plates and a more aggressive alignment up front.

Rear Sway bar

Stiffer rear springs
Is this advice just in general or specifically for the xdrive?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #34
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
In general. BMW puts more bias to the rear so the front has less traction and tends to understeer. You need to push more traction to the front end and stiffen up the rear to promote rotation and hide the car's weight.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      10-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #35
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

The KMAC camber and caster adjustable bushing were a borderline useless upgrade. Hardly any difference outside of slightly better cornering due to the increased negative camber at -1.75. No change in steering feel or response.
And the shop didn’t think it was a very high quality product either.

Waste of $1500!
      10-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #36
SoCalCarGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440ix cpe + 2018 x4 m40i

Quote:
Well, K-MAC said there shouldn't be any problems even if your car is lowered so I don't know if he understood what I was asking, but nevertheless, my shop said they're going to look at the entire geometry of the suspension and arms after install and go from there with best adjustments.
He told me that too. Ha! $2k repair bill later and he still told me it shouldn't have happened.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #37
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The KMAC camber and caster adjustable bushing were a borderline useless upgrade. Hardly any difference outside of slightly better cornering due to the increased negative camber at -1.75. No change in steering feel or response.

Waste of $1500!
What were your final alignment specs?

There are a couple of reasons you may be feeling the way you do:
1) Alignment not set up to take advantage of parts, or out of cal alignment rack so you don't have what you think you have.
2) Other limiting factors on your car, so the headroom the bushings provide can't be reached.
3) You're just numb, and can't feel the difference, in which case no other bushings/monoballs will help you either.

If you really think that a degree of camber change doesn't have much effect when the suspension is properly aligned, well there's plenty of evidence to the contrary...

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #38
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Waste of $1500!
You paid $1500 to replace 2 sets of bushings?

Or does that include the price of bushings, which are like $700-800 for all 4 right?

Thanks for the feedback! I was skeptical about the improved steering from bushings. I think the issue with the steering in our cars is the servotronic more so than bushings. But that's just a guess, I'm by no means an expert.

Man I miss my e46. So far I'm at $2500 in mods and still chasing the e46 feeling. Hmm...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #39
motoring_101
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D X-drive

Quote:

Man I miss my e46. So far I'm at $2500 in mods and still chasing the e46 feeling. Hmm...
Haha!! I am on exactly the same mission! So far i have spent £80 on a 15mm Rear Anti-roll bar and £200 on Poly Bushes for Tension Arms

The Rear bar made a huge difference to the feel of the car, really makes it more solid, As did the poly bushes in place of the hydro bushes, I can definitely feel more through the steering, only negative is that you can now feel the under steer!!

The only issue i see with the poly bushes is that they do not allow any lateral pivoting which i presume a uniball bushing would, when you move the sterring through its full range with hydro bushes they pivot laterally, i am not sure stopping this is a good thing as the suspension maybe designed to pivot at that point, this maybe why some say poly bushes don't last.
Appreciate 1
pkiledj46.00
      10-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #40
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoring_101 View Post
Quote:

Haha!! I am on exactly the same mission! So far i have spent £80 on a 15mm Rear Anti-roll bar and £200 on Poly Bushes for Tension Arms

The Rear bar made a huge difference to the feel of the car, really makes it more solid, As did the poly bushes in place of the hydro bushes, I can definitely feel more through the steering, only negative is that you can now feel the under steer!!

The only issue i see with the poly bushes is that they do not allow any lateral pivoting which i presume a uniball bushing would, when you move the sterring through its full range with hydro bushes they pivot laterally, i am not sure stopping this is a good thing as the suspension maybe designed to pivot at that point, this maybe why some say poly bushes don't last.
Xdrive or rwd?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 07:35 AM   #41
motoring_101
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D X-drive

Quote:
Xdrive or rwd?
X-drive, next up is springs, probably Eibach but i keep swaying between the 05 and 06 springs. I think the 05 are stiffer and lower at the front however i read that the rearwards rake of the 06 helps limit understeer by keeping more weight over the rear.
Appreciate 1
pkiledj46.00
      10-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #42
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoring_101 View Post
Quote:
Xdrive or rwd?
X-drive, next up is springs, probably Eibach but i keep swaying between the 05 and 06 springs. I think the 05 are stiffer and lower at the front however i read that the rearwards rake of the 06 helps limit understeer by keeping more weight over the rear.
Which brand for the antiroll bar? Link? I think I'm going to install the antiroll bar before the monoballs, just makes more sense to me.

I have the Dinan springs/bump stops/ Shockware, definitely a huge improvement over stock but still way too soft and floaty in comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #43
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

I should clarify that my mods were strictly for performance. The car will rotate easier, but it won't necessarily communicate better. Some mods will be worthwhile if you're timing laps, but may not net a huge difference in "feel."

You can tune the differences in feel through the steering wheel, but it won't match a hydraulic system. You just have to be more aware of where the car is. I enjoy the feel of hunkered down stability so I like my 4 series, but if you want a light, nimble go kart then it's not going to get you there. Primarily you need something with a shorter wheel base.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #44
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Quote:
In general. BMW puts more bias to the rear so the front has less traction and tends to understeer. You need to push more traction to the front end and stiffen up the rear to promote rotation and hide the car's weight.
I agree with this statement. My car definitely had an understeer tendency even with camber plates and KW V3 and toe arms in the rear. The front pushes until you tighten that up. The monoballs helped that tremendously. And the rear wants to oscillate back and forth because there's so much rubber back there. I replaced every arm back there and put in the Powerflex race subframe inserts. Now the feels more neutral and responsive and stable. I'm xDrive also and haven't touched the sway bars. The rear has no problem coming around on the track.
Also don't underestimate how much an alignment effects the tendencies of how the car rotates. Anything close to factory specs will make it not as responsive and tend to understeer. A little toe in at the rear with 0 toe or even toe out at the front, with as much camber as you can get away with (3.2 for track & 2 degrees for street is what I run at the front) will help make it feel more alive.

Quote:
Quote:
I've been clicking high and low for upgraded UCA (aka tension strut) bushings, but not finding anything, except this:

https://k-mac-camber-kits.com/Catalo...%20Catalog.pdf

Check out page 10. It says "Inner Arm Camber Adjustable Bushes" and "Inner Thrust Arm Caster Adjustable Bushes."

Sorry for the noob question, is an "inner arm" the same thing as tension strut aka UCA?
This is the K-MAC tension strut monoball. PN is 193916-7J.

Additionally, I saw on Bimmerworld that SPL makes one too, but it doesn't have as large of a caster adjustment range or look as well sealed as K-MAC's.
Interesting you bring up the sealing of the SPL arms. I saw a recent post where someone mentioned they claim those bushings will last years. I brought this up with Tony at VAC. He said they would make arms like that if someone wants them. But it would be with sealed, factory style bearings similar to their monoballs (both tension and LCA) they are now making. That's because they use the same type of ball joint as SPL on their race cars. Those joints often don't even make it through 1 race season without needing to be replaced. Let alone a street car with all the dirt (and salt if you live in the north)
Appreciate 0