F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Leather Cleaning
proTUNING Freaks

10-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Leather Cleaning

I realize the BMW leather is coated/sealed.

Is there any point in using the specialty leather cleaners such as Lexol, Leatherique, etc?

They all say they penetrate the leather but I’m thinking that’s if they aren’t sealed or coated.

My Venetian leather is in great shape, so I’m just wondering here.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I'm torn on this topic.

I've never seen any real difference between a leather product and a general interior product on my seats, but I do notice a big difference on surfaces like my steering wheel, shift knob, and brake release.
      10-27-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

I haven't seen great results with Leatherique conditioning on the coated leather of BMW seats after approx mid-90s manufacture. Their cleaner, as well as Lexol, does a decent job.
I'm happy using the Sonax & Leather Master products in the E39, E46s & F22. Zymol & Zaino also have good products.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #4
paul e
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I'm torn on this topic.

I've never seen any real difference between a leather product and a general interior product on my seats, but I do notice a big difference on surfaces like my steering wheel, shift knob, and brake release.
I’m thinking those surfaces aren’t sealed/coated like the seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post
I’m thinking those surfaces aren’t sealed/coated like the seats.
Most likely, which is also why they wear out faster too.
      10-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #6
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Most likely, which is also why they wear out faster too.
I've never had those items wear on me. Only thing that should wear would be the bolster on the seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #7
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
I've never had those items wear on me. Only thing that should wear would be the bolster on the seats.
Do you have the manual transmission? The steering wheel and brake lever look great, but not the shift knob.

My car is 2016 which I bought last year CPO. With only three years and roughly 27K miles when I bought it, the manual shift knob was already showing signs of wear where the palm of your hand makes contact with the knob.

Fortunately, the knob hasn't got any worse because I don't drive with my hand always on the knob, but a driver who always drives with one hand on the lever and one on the wheel could wear it our pretty quickly. The material seems softer and less durable than what was wrapped around the manual shift knob on my E46.
      10-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

+1 for Sonax Leather Foam, and also Sonax Alcantara Cleaner.

Used regularly, the foam keeps my Dakota Ivory White seats nice, and the cleaner works great on the black Alcantara bits, if they get dirty.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
+1 for Sonax Leather Foam, and also Sonax Alcantara Cleaner.

Used regularly, the foam keeps my Dakota Ivory White seats nice, and the cleaner works great on the black Alcantara bits, if they get dirty.
Ivory white?! You're brave! I couldn't imagine trying to keep that clean. I recently had a dealer loaner 5 series with the same color and I was nervous the entire time I drove it.

Leather that color is a good test bed for cleaners. Glad to hear you like it. What do you apply as a protectant after you clean them with the Sonax?

The product I use is no longer made, so I'm always looking for ideas for what to buy next.
      10-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #10
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ivory white?! You're brave! I couldn't imagine trying to keep that clean. I recently had a dealer loaner 5 series with the same color and I was nervous the entire time I drove it.

Leather that color is a good test bed for cleaners. Glad to hear you like it. What do you apply as a protectant after you clean them with the Sonax?

The product I use is no longer made, so I'm always looking for ideas for what to buy next.
Ha! Nate, bravery has nothing to do with it. Masochism, maybe...
If I know there’s a chance it’ll get really dirty, or someone has new jeans on, I throw a slip-cover towel over ‘em.

I don’t use anything except the Sonax Foam on the leather. It’s a cleaner & conditioner. Works nicely...

Tom
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-31-2020, 10:48 AM   #11
paul e
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
Ha! Nate, bravery has nothing to do with it. Masochism, maybe...
If I know there’s a chance it’ll get really dirty, or someone has new jeans on, I throw a slip-cover towel over ‘em.

I don’t use anything except the Sonax Foam on the leather. It’s a cleaner & conditioner. Works nicely...

Tom
This stuff?

https://www.sonaxusa.com/car-leather...googleproducts
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 10:52 AM   #12
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post
This stuff?
Yup.
      11-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #13
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Coated or not leather is a natural product. I prescribe to the theory that protecting/moisturizing the leather on a REGULAR basis is the key. I give my leather a quick spray/wipe with leather protectant once a month. I feel the key is not WHAT you use but HOW you use it. I have tried some of those leather wipes from Meguires and they work fine...they are convenient which is key. I grab some interior spray from the cupboard and a leather wipe and it takes 2 minutes to give seats a quick wipe.
Appreciate 1
aardate193.50
      11-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #14
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I think the big debate is whether the various types/levels of coatings on the leather allow the conditioning/moisturizing products to actually penetrate into the leather or does it never make it past the coating.

For me, I've had mixed results depending on the leather. Some are noticeably softer/more pliable after using a leather product, while others showed no change at all.

On my F32, it's a mixture of the two. The seats show no sign of any difference, but the shift knob, MSport steering wheel, and brake lever handle not only look different, but feel better afterwards.
      11-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #15
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
I think the big debate is whether the various types/levels of coatings on the leather allow the conditioning/moisturizing products to actually penetrate into the leather or does it never make it past the coating.

For me, I've had mixed results depending on the leather. Some are noticeably softer/more pliable after using a leather product, while others showed no change at all.

On my F32, it's a mixture of the two. The seats show no sign of any difference, but the shift knob, MSport steering wheel, and brake lever handle not only look different, but feel better afterwards.
If your gear stick, steering wheel, and other leather looks shiny/slick - that's because it's gunked up with oils, skin particles, and sweat.

Clean BMW leather is slightly tacky, with some texture to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 09:53 AM   #16
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektUSA View Post
If your gear stick, steering wheel, and other leather looks shiny/slick - that's because it's gunked up with oils, skin particles, and sweat.

Clean BMW leather is slightly tacky, with some texture to it.
And that is exactly what I do. Turns out nicely just like you describe.

Seats never seem to change much with the same efforts, which leads me to wonder if the coating on those surfaces doesn't allow the leather products to work the same way.
      11-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #17
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
And that is exactly what I do. Turns out nicely just like you describe.

Seats never seem to change much with the same efforts, which leads me to wonder if the coating on those surfaces doesn't allow the leather products to work the same way.
This Sonax leather kit is probably the best value on the internet today: https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-premium-leather-kit.html

I bought my BMW as a CPO, and this made a huge difference to the appearance of the leather, as well as getting off wayward nail polish from the steering wheel leather.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #18
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Found just using Lexol cleaner as instructed and then the conditioner works just fine. Leather especially the touch point like steering wheel, feel better. Also like the Lexol smell. Reasonable priced and lasts several years.
Appreciate 0