F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > MerinoSeat/stiched leather dash vs DakotaSeats/leather dash
GetBMWParts

03-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
SRB
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

MerinoSeat/stiched leather dash vs DakotaSeats/leather dash

I was configuring my 4 series and didn't realize there were two options regarding leather dashes (in all cases I am planning black) - anyone compare the two? I've listed what I see as advantages and disadvantages, ANY THOUGHTS before I order?:

Option A - Merino seats / white stitched black leather dash (euro 4.4K)
Option B - Dakoda seats / black merino leather dash (euro 2.8K)

-Costs is about euro 1,600 more for option A - most of the additional cost from the seats (you can't get white stiched with Dakoda seats)
-I think contrasting stiching on the dash looks good
-I am not as convinced about the detail in the Merino seats - I wouldn't mind a little simpler
-Merino feels better than dakota
-I have read that Merino leather will wear quicker - while the Dakota is the best wearing of the leathers
-Otion A would add 'some' contrast to an otherwise black interior
-I had Dakota leather for 5 years (but only 40K KMs) and know how it wears/how tough it is - Merino, no experience

Any hints about trim while I'm on the topic? Love piano, but had it before and it is impossible not to have a million micro-scratches. Considering getting brushed aluminum and then possible changing with M4 Carbon Fibre (I think it is possible). Would consider the performance parts carbon option too, but I wish the dash was the same as the other trim pieces.

Picture of Merino leather if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

I'm thinking of going with option A.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
jorgex
Second Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F30 - E92, E90, E46 (Retired)

Garage List
I have the Individual steering wheel option on my F30, the black merino leather touch is awesome but sensitive. I would not buy it for my seats just for that reason. Without extremelly care (in every sense) merino leather will look aged faster than dakota.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Bond5M5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 316i

I believe leather dash options are slightly different. There are 2 options. With Dakota leather you can get upper and lower part of the dash in black Walknappa leather (4M5). With Merino leather you can get upper part of the dash also in black Walknappa leather while lower part of the dash will be Merino (XT1). With XT1 you also get upper part of doors in black Walknappa leather. That's at least what German price list says
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 03:44 AM   #4
SRB
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgex View Post
merino leather will look aged faster than dakota.
Any other experiences? I admit the used Z4 with brown Merino leather in the showroom is badly worn on the top part of the seat from getting in/out. Never had anything like that with Dakota, but potentially specific to this car and/or non-black?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
FON
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 Performance/MINI R53 GP

I have also opted for this "combo", mainly due to the fact that you have several people saying that Dakota leather over the F3x has far less quality then it had on previous generations.

You also have many pics of Merino over the forum.. i don't recall seeing 1 example that is prematurely aged ( with the F3x gen.)

I think if you take care of it (clean and hydrate) it will age with a nice Patina..
Appreciate 0