F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Apple CarPlay Retrofit - Done! (Update:16/11/18...now also with full screen function)
proTUNING Freaks

10-11-2019, 05:59 AM   #375
G11
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
These aftermarket patches will result in a bricked idrive if the dealer updates your firmware.
This is the concern I have. What's the best approach to take to enable carplay if it's not available via the bmw-connecteddrive portal?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:52 AM   #376
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by G11 View Post
Quote:
These aftermarket patches will result in a bricked idrive if the dealer updates your firmware.
This is the concern I have. What's the best approach to take to enable carplay if it's not available via the bmw-connecteddrive portal?
PM sent
Appreciate 1
G111.50
      10-13-2019, 06:20 AM   #377
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
That's not true, it will just maybe disable the nav and carplay, but can easily be re-enabled by reinstalling the carplay patch.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #378
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick.86uk View Post
When I received the file and install software they also give instructions on how to remove if you need to update firmware at the dealer etc. Once firmware is updated just reinstall the CarPlay.

Unless this option is only available when installing via ENET cable rather than USB.

Ask the eBay seller to confirm.
Thanks very much for the info. I'll get in touch with the seller.
Steve at codemybimmer.ca is an amazing source for coding as well. You could reach out to him so it's more legit than some usb stick from a random eBay seller
Appreciate 1
G111.50
      10-13-2019, 05:40 PM   #379
Wolfie99
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 330i Touring, F31 320D

Hello, new to forum. Just in process of buying a May 19 F31 with prof Nav to be collected next weekend. I want Apple Carplay and having read through this thread am now very confused. Will I be able to do it through the as fitted system, i.e, is it available already on a 19 car, if so, will there be a cost? if not, will coding it (via a USB?) cause me difficulties if/when the dealer updates the firmware? any help/advice appreciated.

Further question, at what point do code updates/modifications impact on warranty, I also want to add a rear camera, If I do that myself, will BMW quibble re warranty? will I lose the activation of that on a firmware update?

any help/advice appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #380
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie99 View Post
Hello, new to forum. Just in process of buying a May 19 F31 with prof Nav to be collected next weekend. I want Apple Carplay and having read through this thread am now very confused. Will I be able to do it through the as fitted system, i.e, is it available already on a 19 car, if so, will there be a cost? if not, will coding it (via a USB?) cause me difficulties if/when the dealer updates the firmware? any help/advice appreciated.

Further question, at what point do code updates/modifications impact on warranty, I also want to add a rear camera, If I do that myself, will BMW quibble re warranty? will I lose the activation of that on a firmware update?

any help/advice appreciated.
I've actually just heard from Simon at Bavarian Coding today that he's now had 15 F30/31's he's had to fix because BMW updated the software, and then want to charge £1500 for a new head unit! Apparently the eBay sellers have not been able to fix it.

Best course of action is to get Bavarian Coding to activate Carplay as they update the car's software to the latest version before activating carplay, and they do a free reactivation if it ever gets wiped.

They do charge £150, are booked up for a number of weeks and are based in Southampton though.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #381
Wolfie99
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 330i Touring, F31 320D

Teaston, thanks for that. I am only 1/2 hour from Southampton, will look Bavarian coding up and see if I can get it booked in.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #382
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie99 View Post
Teaston, thanks for that. I am only 1/2 hour from Southampton, will look Bavarian coding up and see if I can get it booked in.
Lucky man, I wish I was that close, Simon is most likely the best BMW retrofitter in the country:

https://www.facebook.com/Bavarian-Co...4502282915941/
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 02:54 AM   #383
Jack_is_Back
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I've actually just heard from Simon at Bavarian Coding today that he's now had 15 F30/31's he's had to fix because BMW updated the software, and then want to charge £1500 for a new head unit! Apparently the eBay sellers have not been able to fix it.

Best course of action is to get Bavarian Coding to activate Carplay as they update the car's software to the latest version before activating carplay, and they do a free reactivation if it ever gets wiped.

They do charge £150, are booked up for a number of weeks and are based in Southampton though.
I'm in this sorry situation at the moment. Car is booked in with BMW next week but I'm fully expecting them to refuse to fix it.

Really hacked off (with myself) as I was about to VT the car, but now I'm worried they would penalise me massively if they find the sat nav not working.

Is there anyone more north-based who might be able to return the head unit to stock for me?
      10-15-2019, 03:39 AM   #384
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_is_Back View Post
Quote:

I'm in this sorry situation at the moment. Car is booked in with BMW next week but I'm fully expecting them to refuse to fix it.

Really hacked off (with myself) as I was about to VT the car, but now I'm worried they would penalise me massively if they find the sat nav not working.

Is there anyone more north-based who might be able to return the head unit to stock for me?
Sorry to hear that mate, I don't know of anyone up north though. Simon does do a come to you service, and charges extra per mile, possibly you could meet him halfway somewhere.

He is a busy man though, so not sure how soon he could fit you in.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #385
Jack_is_Back
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear that mate, I don't know of anyone up north though. Simon does do a come to you service, and charges extra per mile, possibly you could meet him halfway somewhere.

I spoke to Simon earlier and he has very kindly offered to squeeze me in around some other jobs this weekend. "Don't worry I will get it sorted for you" he said - I think he could sense the desperation in my voice.

Phew! Thanks for the info teaston
teaston10993.50
      10-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #386
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_is_Back View Post
Quote:

I spoke to Simon earlier and he has very kindly offered to squeeze me in around some other jobs this weekend. "Don't worry I will get it sorted for you" he said - I think he could sense the desperation in my voice.

Phew! Thanks for the info teaston
Great stuff mate, Simon is a proper chap!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #387
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's not true, it will just maybe disable the nav and carplay, but can easily be re-enabled by reinstalling the carplay patch.
Easy is a relative term. USB activation is no longer available with the latest idrive firmware.

If the dealer updates you with these carplay activation patches, a software tamper code will be logged similar to an ecu map and transmitted to Germany. Your warranty is compromised.

Best bet is buy the official FSC code through BMW. Pay a little more and have it done properly. Then activate full screen via the patch. Worst case is you will loose full screen car play with a dealer update and have to reapply the patch.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #388
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Easy is a relative term. USB activation is no longer available with the latest idrive firmware.

If the dealer updates you with these patches, a software tamper code will be logged similar to an ecu map and transmitted to Germany.

Best bet is buy the FSC code through BMW. Pay a little more and have it done properly. Then activate full screen via the patch. Worst case I'd you will loose full screen with a dealer update and have to reapply it.
Yes it appears you're right, see my recent posts above
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #389
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If the dealer updates you with these patches, a software tamper code will be logged similar to an ecu map and transmitted to Germany.

Best bet is buy the FSC code through BMW. Pay a little more and have it done properly. Then activate full screen via the patch. Worst case I'd you will loose full screen with a dealer update and have to reapply it.
Yes.

Avoid these cheap online hacks at all costs

It just ain't worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #390
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes.

Avoid these cheap online hacks at all costs

It just ain't worth it.
Yep, best to go somewhere decent like Bavarian Coding.

Too late for me, I just gotta hope BMW never update my car, and if they do I've got a long trip to Southampton!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #391
Mick.86uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F36 440i

Im sure you can remove the CarPlay via ENET cable if needed to go into a dealer for anything and reinstall once updated.

Could run into problems when reinstalling it after a major update I suppose!
      10-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #392
Mick.86uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

How much is the official FSC code direct from BMW?
      10-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #393
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Im sure you can remove the CarPlay via ENET cable if needed to go into a dealer for anything and reinstall once updated.

Could run into problems when reinstalling it after a major update I suppose!
Quote:
How much is the official FSC code direct from BMW?
I think you can uncode carplay, but the fake fsc codes will still be in there, which is what causes the problems when they update the car.

FSC codes from BMW will be many hundreds.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #394
Mick.86uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll stay away from the BMW dealer updates from now on then!

Thanks.
      10-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #395
Brobbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320D Msport

So I’ve been reading this thread daily and just wanted to get a solid answer before i go ahead.
Ive been on the receiving end of bmw wanting to bill me for a new NBT unit after NBT manipulation they called it and cost me £380 to put right.

If i go down the route of buying CarPlay through the connected store, if i wanted full screen is it fully reversible ie puts it back completely as it was never there and if it was ever updated will it brick the NBT?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 04:35 AM   #396
Jack_is_Back
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I am pleased to report that Simon @ Bavarian Coding has worked his magic and my nav is back working again.

By a stroke of luck he was travelling up north to do another job this weekend and offered to come to me after. Get this for service: he arrived at 10:20pm last night having driven up from Birmingham, spent 2 hours reflashing my head unit, then set off to drive to Stoke at 12:20am!!

Everything is working perfectly, he has even updated me to ID6, widescreen carplay, and also stop/start memory.

Amazing! Just a shame I am getting rid of it in a few weeks. Hey ho.