F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan ECU Tune Issues?
ARMA SPEED

08-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
mr.meeseeks
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Dinan ECU Tune Issues?

Hi all,

Just curious, I have an appointment at a reputable authorized Dinan dealership to have my 435i get Dinan's new Stage 1 ECU software flash in about two weeks. To clarify, it's not the Stage 1 Dinantronics tuner that some people have had some small issues with. Has anyone had any issues with the ECU tune?

Since it's newer, they're not many reviews or threads about it from what I can find. The dealer had done a couple others in a 4 Series and said the owners were happy and there were no issues aside from one that was a "very early 4 Series model." Maybe I should have inquired more but it had to do with the car's software being out of date, they had to "update" the car and then do the tune but it was fast and cheap and then had no issues since it's all programmed through the OBDII port.

Anyone's experience with the ECU flash would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

There's a recent thread about it, and i think the few users who have it have posted there.

Aside from that, why are you getting the dinan tune and not MHD or BM3? Are you still in warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:01 PM   #3
mr.meeseeks
Rep

Do you happen to have the link for the thread?

In short, I'm going with Dinan based off what friends have said with the quality of their mods and the lack of issues they have had. It's a little spendy but they seem to stand by their products if there ever is an issue and I'm out of warranty since I bought the vehicle secondhand... unless I want to buy a new warranty from BMW that is but I don't think it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:31 PM   #4
TSA8151
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i msport

I'm not gonna bash Dinan products to much, but you're basically paying extra for the name. Its laughable that they require you to go to an authorized dealer to flash the car. Most of us here flashed bm3/mhd in our garages and it only takes a few minutes. I would never paying what Dinan charges for a flash. They charge you $750 for 1 map, not including shipping and labor (lol).

Switching between mappings would require a reflash at a Dinan authorized dealer. (lol)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:02 AM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.meeseeks View Post
Do you happen to have the link for the thread?

In short, I'm going with Dinan based off what friends have said with the quality of their mods and the lack of issues they have had. It's a little spendy but they seem to stand by their products if there ever is an issue and I'm out of warranty since I bought the vehicle secondhand... unless I want to buy a new warranty from BMW that is but I don't think it's worth it.
Here's the official release thread.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1738180

I would highly recommend you do research and consider MHD over Dinan. It's a much better investment long term, especially if you plan to mod the car at all beyind just a stage 1 tune on a stock car.

Oh, and regardless of which path you go, you need a chargepipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 01:29 AM   #6
mr.meeseeks
Rep

Interesting, thank you. Too bad no one in that thread actually had it done and could share their thoughts.

I appreciate the information!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #7
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Having to pay a dealer to flash is weak. They're going to have a really hard time competing with BM3 or MHD. Talk about late to the game....
      08-25-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Hi all,

Just curious, I have an appointment at a reputable authorized Dinan dealership to have my 435i get Dinan's new Stage 1 ECU software flash in about two weeks. To clarify, it's not the Stage 1 Dinantronics tuner that some people have had some small issues with. Has anyone had any issues with the ECU tune?

Since it's newer, they're not many reviews or threads about it from what I can find. The dealer had done a couple others in a 4 Series and said the owners were happy and there were no issues aside from one that was a "very early 4 Series model." Maybe I should have inquired more but it had to do with the car's software being out of date, they had to "update" the car and then do the tune but it was fast and cheap and then had no issues since it's all programmed through the OBDII port.

Anyone's experience with the ECU flash would be appreciated!
Ok i guess it smy time to shine, its smoother than their tuner the throttle is less jerky other than that it is a mild tune you get a couple more hp nothing crazy the only problem is that thier tune comes with the burbles off in sport mode and its 600 bucks for nothing i would say get the bm3/mhd and run the m2/s1 tune (I do not know if mhd has m2 map) but i am planning to compare logs stock vs m2 vs bm3 s1 vs dinan soon ill be posting the logs.
Appreciate 2
      08-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Here's the official release thread.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1738180

I would highly recommend you do research and consider MHD over Dinan. It's a much better investment long term, especially if you plan to mod the car at all beyind just a stage 1 tune on a stock car.

Oh, and regardless of which path you go, you need a chargepipe.
As far as I am educated on this matter and if you are worried about reliability go with mhd their tunes are made for the autobahn
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 08:14 PM   #10
mr.meeseeks
Rep

Decided to go with Dinan...

So I'll post this for posterity's sake:

After comparing the suggestions, I decided to go with the Dinan tune. There was some good information shared on here for alternative and options like MHD. And yes, it is kinda cool how tunes like MHD have updates that you can easily install yourself and that you can control various functions from your phone, etc. Nonetheless, I feel like there's something to be said for the engineering and history that Dinan has put into their products. I also like that you can very easily reach out to Dinan or an authorized dealer if an issue would arise. I don't intend to heavily modify the car or go beyond the stage 1 tune--it works for what I was looking to do.

As for my initial inquiry, it was easy and I've had zero issues. It's definitely a nice upgrade in power! I'm also very pleased with how it's smoothed how the car shifts, particularly at slower speeds, if I get stuck in traffic for example. This is probably a positive side effect of the tune leveling the torque curve slightly but there could be more at work here that I'm missing. Overall I like the stock transmission but I also noticed (and rather like) that in comfort mode, it's not incessantly shifting as much and seems slightly more hesitant to go into 7th and 8th gears. I also noticed the "sport cooling" the tune talked about. In hot weather or when in sport/sport+, it seems like it tries to keep the oil temperature right around 200 degrees (unless you're driving the car very enthusiastically) and you can hear the turbo cooling fan working a bit more. I think that's about it, I'm happy with it.
Appreciate 1
harkes1075.50
      11-01-2020, 07:32 AM   #11
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:

After comparing the suggestions, I decided to go with the Dinan tune. There was some good information shared on here for alternative and options like MHD. And yes, it is kinda cool how tunes like MHD have updates that you can easily install yourself and that you can control various functions from your phone, etc. Nonetheless, I feel like there's something to be said for the engineering and history that Dinan has put into their products. I also like that you can very easily reach out to Dinan or an authorized dealer if an issue would arise. I don't intend to heavily modify the car or go beyond the stage 1 tune--it works for what I was looking to do.

As for my initial inquiry, it was easy and I've had zero issues. It's definitely a nice upgrade in power! I'm also very pleased with how it's smoothed how the car shifts, particularly at slower speeds, if I get stuck in traffic for example. This is probably a positive side effect of the tune leveling the torque curve slightly but there could be more at work here that I'm missing. Overall I like the stock transmission but I also noticed (and rather like) that in comfort mode, it's not incessantly shifting as much and seems slightly more hesitant to go into 7th and 8th gears. I also noticed the "sport cooling" the tune talked about. In hot weather or when in sport/sport+, it seems like it tries to keep the oil temperature right around 200 degrees (unless you're driving the car very enthusiastically) and you can hear the turbo cooling fan working a bit more. I think that's about it, I'm happy with it.
Great feedback! Any datalogs you can share?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #12
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

So you asked for our opinion, and did exactly what we told you not to do. I’m sure the Dinan is a decent product, but it’s ridiculously overpriced, and offers nothing over MHD/BM3 besides a lighter wallet.

Glad you’re enjoying it I guess.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 11-01-2020 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 2
n55david1295.50
      11-15-2020, 01:51 PM   #13
mr.meeseeks
Rep

Thank you. Sadly, I don't have any data logs, just careful observation. Although I really like that I could have that done, I'm just not that technical since I'm doing modifications for fun and my personal enjoyment and not to get the car ready to track, race, etc. Maybe this is why I went with the simple, tried and true route and went with Dinan instead of the more technical tunes such as MHD/JB4.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #14
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Thank you. Sadly, I don't have any data logs, just careful observation. Although I really like that I could have that done, I'm just not that technical since I'm doing modifications for fun and my personal enjoyment and not to get the car ready to track, race, etc. Maybe this is why I went with the simple, tried and true route and went with Dinan instead of the more technical tunes such as MHD/JB4.
Not sure how the Dinan flash tune is tried and true since it was just released with little reviews or feedback

But glad you are enjoying it
Appreciate 1
n55david1295.50
      11-17-2020, 07:58 AM   #15
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
yeah.. Dinan has shown nothing but being overpriced and tends to under deliver..

good luck though.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:33 AM   #16
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

This reminds me of when I first bought my f32 and wanted to tune the car and I was seriously considering going with the MPPK. I felt that sticking with a BMW tune was the safest and best route to go, and would give me all the extra power I was looking for..boy was I wrong lol, I actually rented a 2014 335i with the mppk+mppe installed (through turo) and was disappointed.

Long story short my friend showed me how MHD works and how easy it was to use plus the power gains and bang for buck. I was sold, instead of buying the overpriced, underpowered, and overhyped MPPK. I spent what I saved on FBO's and flashed to stage 2+. Even with installation, buying parts, and shipping it wasn't much of a price difference but with probably close to a 100hp difference at the crank and the ability to customize the tune whenever and however I want to.
      11-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #17
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Why all the hate on Dinan?

They have their market niche catering to people exactly like @mr.meseeks who just want a little extra without the fuzz of buying a cable, installing apps and take the "risk" of flashing your own car. Set and forget...

Happy you like the tune. Made the right choice then
      11-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #18
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

For me, I just see it as a win for marketing. Marketing's job is to separate you from you money, regardless of rationality.

I'm sure it's a solid product, but objectively there are better options.
      11-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #19
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

I'm just here hoping someone datalogs with a dinan tune lol. Would love to see that, because, ya know, data. Wishful thinking though because those who run dinan tune and those who datalog are probably mutually exclusive, not to mention the dinan tune doesn't come with datalogging capabilities.
Appreciate 0