F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Coding ? - comfort access and folding mirrors
Studio RSR

12-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Coding ? - comfort access and folding mirrors

I was wondering what would happen if I coded the following:

Close windows/fold mirrors when holding lock on Key Fob:
FEM_BODY/3053/KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB to aktiv

Fold mirrors when holding lock on Key Fob or Comfort Access:
FEM_BODY/3110/ASP_BEIKLAPPEN_BEI_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN to aktiv

Will these two codes conflict with one another?

What I definitely want to do is to have the mirrors fold when I press and hold the door handle in Comfort Access. My manual says this should happen by default but my car only locks and closes the windows.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
I was wondering what would happen if I coded the following:

Close windows/fold mirrors when holding lock on Key Fob:
FEM_BODY/3053/KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB to aktiv

Fold mirrors when holding lock on Key Fob or Comfort Access:
FEM_BODY/3110/ASP_BEIKLAPPEN_BEI_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN to aktiv

Will these two codes conflict with one another?

What I definitely want to do is to have the mirrors fold when I press and hold the door handle in Comfort Access. My manual says this should happen by default but my car only locks and closes the windows.
Just the opposite, they are needed in conjunction to fold the mirrors with the fob.

You also need to code FEM_BODY / 3110 / ASP_AUSKLAPPEN_NACH_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN to aktiv to unfold the mirrors and windows via CA or the fob.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Just the opposite, they are needed in conjunction to fold the mirrors with the fob.

You also need to code FEM_BODY / 3110 / ASP_AUSKLAPPEN_NACH_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN to aktiv to unfold the mirrors and windows via CA or the fob.
Thank you Frogman. I read on another post of yours that if I code the following, the mirrors will fold with just normal locking from the key fob and comfort access?

FEM_BODY 3053 KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Thank you Frogman. I read on another post of yours that if I code the following, the mirrors will fold with just normal locking from the key fob and comfort access?

FEM_BODY 3053 KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN
Yes.

The KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN value (werte=xx) is the amount of time you have to hold CA or the fob before the mirrors will fold.

The default value is 0F (in hex) and the units are in 100ms (1/10 of a second). That's 15 in decimal, or 1.5 seconds. That's way too long for most people.

I code this for people one of 2 ways:

1. If you want the mirrors to fold every time you lock the car (people use folded mirrors as the verification that the car is locked), then set the Werte value to 00 (no delay).

2. If you don't want them folded every time, but want a shorter delay, I usually set the value to 02 (200ms or about 1/4 second). A short touch/click will still lock the car, but holding it just a little bit longer will fold the mirrors.

To roll the windows up or down (and the sunroof), you have to continuously press the fob button (probably a safety feature). There is no one-click windows up/down feature as far as I know.

Last edited by Frogman; 01-01-2015 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 4
Big Nodge383.00
int47.50
kern4174446.50
      04-02-2016, 03:35 PM   #5
pezza72
Registered
Rep
Drives: F33 420d Luxury Convertible

Hi,

I know this thread is quite old now, but I have been told that to get the auto folding mirrors using the keyfob you have to have the comfort access. By default I understood that with comfort access, this would be the case by default (without needing to code).

So based on that, I dont believe you can code it unless you have the comfort access?

I have in the past got someone to code the mirrors for me, but it never worked. Whether this is because I need comfort access or whether the code change just didn't apply properly I am not sure.

I paid for what I thought would do this, but all I get is the button inside the car that I can press to fold/unfold, and therefore you actually need 2 options in order to have the auto folding mirrors :-(

Now, I have also heard that for security reasons, they have disabled the auto folding part of it, so I am now not sure whether buying comfort access will actually allow the mirrors to fold/unfold with the keyfob...I am still trying to find that out, but to be honest, half the BMW staff don't seem to know either, so maybe the functionality is available with the comfort access pack, but you may still need to code it (to override it being turned off)?

I am so confused with what actually is needed these days to get half of the features, and am going through a battle with BMW dealer at the moment because of half the things that they said was included and later established is part of a pack/option which I actually asked about in the first place. I think the problem is that they change so frequently that it is hard for the staff to know what things actually do....and then because of everybody suing for the slightest of reasons, this then explains why they turn everything off to save them from a law suit!!

Sorry for the rambling, but just wanted to mention what I had been advised of regarding the comfort access. Not sure if this helps or makes things worst! lol
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #6
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezza72 View Post
Hi,

I know this thread is quite old now, but I have been told that to get the auto folding mirrors using the keyfob you have to have the comfort access. By default I understood that with comfort access, this would be the case by default (without needing to code).

So based on that, I dont believe you can code it unless you have the comfort access?

I have in the past got someone to code the mirrors for me, but it never worked. Whether this is because I need comfort access or whether the code change just didn't apply properly I am not sure.

I paid for what I thought would do this, but all I get is the button inside the car that I can press to fold/unfold, and therefore you actually need 2 options in order to have the auto folding mirrors :-(

Now, I have also heard that for security reasons, they have disabled the auto folding part of it, so I am now not sure whether buying comfort access will actually allow the mirrors to fold/unfold with the keyfob...I am still trying to find that out, but to be honest, half the BMW staff don't seem to know either, so maybe the functionality is available with the comfort access pack, but you may still need to code it (to override it being turned off)?

I am so confused with what actually is needed these days to get half of the features, and am going through a battle with BMW dealer at the moment because of half the things that they said was included and later established is part of a pack/option which I actually asked about in the first place. I think the problem is that they change so frequently that it is hard for the staff to know what things actually do....and then because of everybody suing for the slightest of reasons, this then explains why they turn everything off to save them from a law suit!!

Sorry for the rambling, but just wanted to mention what I had been advised of regarding the comfort access. Not sure if this helps or makes things worst! lol
I just tried to fold mirrors with CA and it worked. Didn't even know that it would do that..guess it's obvious since closing with CA is the same as with fob.
      09-06-2016, 12:05 AM   #7
bluedog925
Registered
Rep
Drives: '14 428i; '01 325cci

Endurance specification of motors in folding mirrors

Hi - I was thinking about coding my F32 to automatically fold/unfold the mirrors when I lock/unlock the doors, but I was curious if anybody knows how many fold/unfold cycles the mirror motors are rated for? I'd estimate that I'd incur ~2000 lock+unlock cycles per year, and as a reference point, I've had my E46 for 15 years and counting, so I'd want the motors to endure ~30,000 lock+unlock cycles during their lifetimes.

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 07:02 AM   #8
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog925 View Post
Hi - I was thinking about coding my F32 to automatically fold/unfold the mirrors when I lock/unlock the doors, but I was curious if anybody knows how many fold/unfold cycles the mirror motors are rated for? I'd estimate that I'd incur ~2000 lock+unlock cycles per year, and as a reference point, I've had my E46 for 15 years and counting, so I'd want the motors to endure ~30,000 lock+unlock cycles during their lifetimes.

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Mirror Folding is standard in other markets, and BMW AG does not seem to be concerned about the Longevity of the Motors, although their concerns likley never run longer than the warranty period of 4 years at most.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. A car held that long will need mechanical repairs. If it is not the Mirrors, it will be something else.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
bluedog925
Registered
Rep
Drives: '14 428i; '01 325cci

Thanks for your comments, Shawn! I'll take your advice and cross my fingers. Assuming US-spec cars use the same mirror motors as their Euro-counterparts, I'll asume the motors were spec'ed appropriately.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #10
F30Allen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 Estoril Blue M-Sport

I coded to have my key fob open/close windows unfold/fold mirrors and open/close sunroof. I can open them by holding the open button on the fob but closing does not work at all. It does work if I touch the comfort access close on the door handle. Can anyone help?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Allen View Post
I coded to have my key fob open/close windows unfold/fold mirrors and open/close sunroof. I can open them by holding the open button on the fob but closing does not work at all. It does work if I touch the comfort access close on the door handle. Can anyone help?
Things to check:

1. A common mistake is to manually change the werte value when you change KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB to aktiv. Don't do it, just change the parameter to aktiv! This is one coding value that the werte value is opposite normal; aktiv is werte=00, nicht_aktiv is werte=01. If you also set it to 01, you reversed your change.

2. Another common mistake is to change KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB instead of KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB.

3. You changed all 3 variables, right? Did you set ASP_BEIKLAPPEN_BEI_KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG and ASP_AUSKLAPPEN_NACH_KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG to aktiv (werte=01) too?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #12
H175Driver
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport Conv

Hi ,
I have just seen this thread ( new member ) .
My car has comfort access but the mirrors will only fold in by holding the lock button on the keyfob not with comfort access , however they do unfold when opening using CA. Annoying!

So , just to confirm , when going in to change the settings I have to make sure that all four listed below are set to "aktiv" , is that correct?

3053 KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB
3053 KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB
3011 ASP_AUSKLAPPEN_NACH_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN
3011 ASP_BEIKLAPPEN_BEI_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #13
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by H175Driver View Post
Hi ,
I have just seen this thread ( new member ) .
My car has comfort access but the mirrors will only fold in by holding the lock button on the keyfob not with comfort access , however they do unfold when opening using CA. Annoying!

So , just to confirm , when going in to change the settings I have to make sure that all four listed below are set to "aktiv" , is that correct?

3053 KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB
3053 KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB
3011 ASP_AUSKLAPPEN_NACH_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN
3011 ASP_BEIKLAPPEN_BEI_KOMFORTSCHLIESSEN
Check:
Appreciate 2
int47.50
      10-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #14
H175Driver
Rep

Thank you , will try tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #15
H175Driver
Rep

All done ! Fantastic !
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #16
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H175Driver View Post
All done ! Fantastic !
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 01:13 AM   #17
int
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 (2013 335XI) & F48 (2016)

Need some help here. The folding mirrors is the one thing that, no matter what I try, I can't get to work on my 2013 335XI. I followed all the instructions in this thread; I have coded all 7 values mentioned (in Almaretto's very helpful post, post #13 in this thread) to 'aktiv'

The one thing that stands out to me is that the FEM_BODY/3053/KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN werte value of "00" may not be sticking? When I select "werte = 0F" and change it to "werte = 00", the box right under Ausgelesen (wert_01, which is typically the only option in that drop-down) changes to "UNKNOWN". I'm thinking this might be my problem? My understanding is that the "wert_01" must remain in the drop-down, but the "werte" under it needs to be 00 or 02 (or anything but 0F)? Can someone please confirm, and let me know why you think this might be happening"? The UNKNOWN appears when you click "BACK" on the FDL and go back into it-- but if you remain on that page, the box remains as "wert_01". Screenshot: http://www.trunkspace.ca/KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN-WERTE.png
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #18
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by int View Post
Need some help here. The folding mirrors is the one thing that, no matter what I try, I can't get to work on my 2013 335XI. I followed all the instructions in this thread; I have coded all 7 values mentioned (in Almaretto's very helpful post, post #13 in this thread) to 'aktiv'

The one thing that stands out to me is that the FEM_BODY/3053/KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN werte value of "00" may not be sticking? When I select "werte = 0F" and change it to "werte = 00", the box right under Ausgelesen (wert_01, which is typically the only option in that drop-down) changes to "UNKNOWN". I'm thinking this might be my problem? My understanding is that the "wert_01" must remain in the drop-down, but the "werte" under it needs to be 00 or 02 (or anything but 0F)? Can someone please confirm, and let me know why you think this might be happening"? The UNKNOWN appears when you click "BACK" on the FDL and go back into it-- but if you remain on that page, the box remains as "wert_01". Screenshot: http://www.trunkspace.ca/KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN-WERTE.png
You either change drop-downs or werte values, not both. Werte values are all that really matters. When changing werte values, make sure to hit the apply icon above top right of editing box as well as save.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #19
int
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:

You either change drop-downs or werte values, not both. Werte values are all that really matters. When changing werte values, make sure to hit the apply icon above top right of editing box as well as save.
Yep, exactly what I did...

Does yours show "UNKNOWN" above (like in my screenshot) after changing the werte value?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #20
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
This post was a huge help - I coded the mirrors a few times yesterday and couldn't get it to work - after reading this post I got it all working! My mistake was not setting KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN to 00.

Interestingly though - on my car when locking the doors with comfort access, I still need to hold onto the handle for one extra moment to get the mirrors to fold in. If I hold the door handle until it beeps, the mirrors don't fold in - but if I hold it just 1 extra second it works. Using the Keyfob, it folds instantly.

Unfolding is instant for both keyfob and comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #21
int
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
This post was a huge help - I coded the mirrors a few times yesterday and couldn't get it to work - after reading this post I got it all working! My mistake was not setting KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN to 00.

Interestingly though - on my car when locking the doors with comfort access, I still need to hold onto the handle for one extra moment to get the mirrors to fold in. If I hold the door handle until it beeps, the mirrors don't fold in - but if I hold it just 1 extra second it works. Using the Keyfob, it folds instantly.

I still can't get mine to work. Can you confirm all of the values you had to change?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #22
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post

Every car is slightly different as far as the delay between locking and initiating window/mirror movement. There is no way to further decrease the delay if KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN is at 00.

For me, because the keyFOB has a physical button, it is more difficult to separate the act of locking from movement compared to a quick firm press of CA ridges. But, either way, contact must be maintained anyways to fully close windows/ sunroof.

Quote:
Yep, exactly what I did...

Does yours show "UNKNOWN" above (like in my screenshot) after changing the werte value?
Anytime you set a werte to something other than a value corresponding to a predetermined drop-down menu, UNKNOWN will appear above when reading said funktion; this is normal.
Appreciate 0