F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > delete
Studio RSR

03-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
Ace320
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport, 6MT, Alpine White

Garage List
delete

Last edited by Ace320; 05-06-2020 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #2
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace320 View Post
I have purchased Xiaomi Mai70 Pro dashcam. It has 24h park mode, but the problem is that camera is getting power from the cigarette lighter socket and when you shut the car off and after cca 15 mins car shuts power from the lighter socket and the camera shuts off as well.

My question is, how to connect the camera to the car so it stays always on?
Camera has Micro USB connector as a power.
I was thinking to cut the connector and connect it to the fuse but micro usb has 4 wires inside (I think) and idk is it possible to just connect power and ground.
Fuse box in the trunk. Why do you want your dash cam on all the time? Might drain your battery unless you also install a cutoff when voltage reaches a certain level. Most cams during parking mode stay off until motion or impact is detected
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      03-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
Ace320
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Fuse box in the trunk. Why do you want your dash cam on all the time? Might drain your battery unless you also install a cutoff when voltage reaches a certain level. Most cams during parking mode stay off until motion or impact is detected
I want park mode bcs I had 2-3 times hit and run.
Nothing major, but now I need to respray my front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You can’t just cut the wires and wire into the fuse box! The first issue is that most dashcams run off USB voltage which is 5v, wiring it direct would mean pumping 12v into it which might fry it. Second, there will be nothing monitoring your battery so the dashcam would just keep going until it consumed every last drop of juice from your battery.

You need to get a proper hardwire kit which monitors the battery voltage level and then shuts the camera off.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
You can’t just cut the wires and wire into the fuse box! The first issue is that most dashcams run off USB voltage which is 5v, wiring it direct would mean pumping 12v into it which might fry it. Second, there will be nothing monitoring your battery so the dashcam would just keep going until it consumed every last drop of juice from your battery.

You need to get a proper hardwire kit which monitors the battery voltage level and then shuts the camera off.
Nobody said to cut wires... Lots of unused slots on the fuse box. Dash cams run off 12v, many cars do not have usb ports. And of course a hard wire kit.
Been installing dash cams, remote starters etc for years, some even run on 24v for trucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 03:26 AM   #6
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace320 View Post
I have purchased Xiaomi Mai70 Pro dashcam. It has 24h park mode, but the problem is that camera is getting power from the cigarette lighter socket and when you shut the car off and after cca 15 mins car shuts power from the lighter socket and the camera shuts off as well.

My question is, how to connect the camera to the car so it stays always on?
Camera has Micro USB connector as a power.
I was thinking to cut the connector and connect it to the fuse but micro usb has 4 wires inside (I think) and idk is it possible to just connect power and ground.
Quote:
Nobody said to cut wires... Lots of unused slots on the fuse box. Dash cams run off 12v, many cars do not have usb ports. And of course a hard wire kit.
Been installing dash cams, remote starters etc for years, some even run on 24v for trucks.
Let's read that one more time.

Also 5v vs 12v, yay.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
Ace320
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

And that kit is? What is it called and where I can get it?

Also, dashcam has park mode which means it records video only when the motion sensor is activated or if something hits the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 04:01 PM   #8
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
The OP mentioned cutting the wire?

Most cars have cigar lighters which is why most dashcams come with an adapter which converts the 12v to 5v?

Yes maybe some cams can run directly off 12v or even 24v but not the cam that the OP has?

Surprised that being an expert you offered pretty ambiguous advice?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i(x) convertible

Hello, first try to avoid using Xiaomi or Huawei devices because they leave backdoors to Chinese authorities as implicitly required. But as long as there's no cloud service you should be fine.

Now to the problem of battery, you are better off using a Li-ion battery pack to power your parking mode. You may leave the battery under the trunk carpet and plug the battery to the 12V socket in your trunk (5A current), or tap it to a high current ACC source on the fuse panel (you get 9A faster charging).

An example of the battery: Celllink NEO https://www.blackboxmycar.ca/product...nk-battery-neo

BTW, I don't use the battery in my BMW, I have it in my grocery car, parking mode is not useful unless you notice the scratch, door dings immediately after they happened. And light scratches, paint transfers without dings, won't leave an event(emergency) footage.

Addtion: I don't support the idea of tapping to the permanent power, which drains the battery on a regular basis, and degrade the battery quickly, which had happend to my grocery car before I switched to the battery back solution.

Last edited by sinopath; 03-10-2020 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5886.00
      03-10-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I’ve always wondered why devices like the Celllink are so expensive, aren’t they just battery packs with some extra logic added so that they can charge at the same time as outputting?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 05:27 PM   #11
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i(x) convertible

Quote:
I’ve always wondered why devices like the Celllink are so expensive, aren’t they just battery packs with some extra logic added so that they can charge at the same time as outputting?
Blackvue B-124 is similarly priced. I have the blackvue in my grocery car. It's housing is made of aluminum for better heat dissipation, it also has built-in blue tooth with which you can use your smart phone to monitor charging and power left. I want peace of mind when it comes to things that are known to catch fire if designed poorly, as is the case of Blackvue's economy model B-112.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:39 AM   #12
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The fire thing I hadn’t even considered so a very good point made.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:47 AM   #13
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinopath View Post
Hello, first try to avoid using Xiaomi or Huawei devices because they leave backdoors to Chinese authorities as implicitly required. But as long as there's no cloud service you should be fine.

Now to the problem of battery, you are better off using a Li-ion battery pack to power your parking mode. You may leave the battery under the trunk carpet and plug the battery to the 12V socket in your trunk (5A current), or tap it to a high current ACC source on the fuse panel (you get 9A faster charging).

An example of the battery: Celllink NEO https://www.blackboxmycar.ca/product...nk-battery-neo

BTW, I don't use the battery in my BMW, I have it in my grocery car, parking mode is not useful unless you notice the scratch, door dings immediately after they happened. And light scratches, paint transfers without dings, won't leave an event(emergency) footage.

Addtion: I don't support the idea of tapping to the permanent power, which drains the battery on a regular basis, and degrade the battery quickly, which had happend to my grocery car before I switched to the battery back solution.
My vehicle also has Cellink NEO battery. Highly recommended.

In general, dedicated battery for powering the dash cam while the engine is off would be the right solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #14
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

I have mine hardwired with integrated voltage regulator on my BlackVue dash cam. I used to get that battery drain while off warning but I changed one of the wires to another fuse and it doesn't happen unless it goes below freezing. But below freezing message is like battery discharged please turn on ignition even if I turn the ignition off right after driving. I've had zero problems though so it's probably car freaking out that it's cold out and stuff.
      03-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #15
Ifellapart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Anecdotal but, the dashcam I have is your typical plug into cigarette lighter, but they also sell an optional harness that plugs into the OBD port for parking monitoring. Not sure if i wanna go that route, as I' pretty wary of burning out my battery.
Appreciate 0