F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Koni Special Active Shocks with ACS springs 335d xdrive
GetBMWParts

06-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
Sub5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d GT Xdrive

Koni Special Active Shocks with ACS springs 335d xdrive

I've just had ACS springs and Koni Active Special shocks fitted after having the stock suspension setup on my 335d GT Xdrive since owning the car for nearly 3 years. My main reason for changing the suspension was to have a tighter feel to the car and to improve handling on the Norfolk b roads I drive on daily. I also wanted to maintain comfort levels as best as possible so after lots of research and almost going for a different setup I decided on the Koni SA + ACS combo... I haven't yet found a thread reviewing this combo.

I have only driven around 10 miles and everything needs to settle a little still but my immediate impressions are good! The drive is actually more comfortable as bumps are really easily soaked up and so far feels better than stock. The steering feels more responsive too. I haven't tested at high consistent speeds yet but will update you on this after a couple of weeks.

The car looks lower to a point where it looks good (very subjective I know) and not slammed at all, I was almost expecting it not to look as low as it does but to stay close to stock height so that's a bonus. First impressions are good.

Turns out my front left shock was on its way out as it was leaking oil so I'm glad I got this done.. I had some issues a few months ago with noise from the front left wheel area and steering wheel judder under heavy braking which led to me needing to change my front set of lower wishbones which alleviated the issue. This obviously had a negative impact on the shocks which was missed at the time. Very pleased I had them changed!

I also had a back box delete with twin single exhausts fitted
Attached Images

Last edited by Sub5; 06-09-2020 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
Sub5
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'll try to get some better photos...
Attached Images

06-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub5 View Post
I've just had ACS springs and Koni Active Special shocks fitted after having the stock suspension setup on my 335d GT Xdrive since owning the car for nearly 3 years. My main reason for changing the suspension was to have a tighter feel to the car and to improve handling on the Norfolk b roads I drive on daily. I also wanted to maintain comfort levels as best as possible so after lots of research and almost going for a different setup I decided on the Koni SA + ACS combo... I haven't yet found a thread reviewing this combo.

I have only driven around 10 miles and everything needs to settle a little still but my immediate impressions are good! The drive is actually more comfortable as bumps are really easily soaked up and so far feels better than stock. The steering feels more responsive too. I haven't tested at high consistent speeds yet but will update you on this after a couple of weeks.

The car looks lower to a point where it looks good (very subjective I know) and not slammed at all, I was almost expecting it not to look as low as it does but to stay close to stock height so that's a bonus. First impressions are good.

Turns out my front left shock was on its way out as it was leaking oil so I'm glad I got this done.. I had some issues a few months ago with noise from the front left wheel area and steering wheel judder under heavy braking which led to me needing to change my front set of lower wishbones which alleviated the issue. This obviously had a negative impact on the shocks which was missed at the time. Very pleased I had them changed!

Glad that you are happy with the Koni Special Actives. I've had them for two years and have been very pleased. They perform as advertised. They corner like sport shocks and handle rough roads so much better than stock dampers. It's widely known that Eibach make the springs for ACS so look for posts on KoniSA's with Eibach.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sub517.50
      06-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
Sub5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks johnung, I did see your posts about the Koni / Eibach combo which was definitely helpful in my decision. As you know the advice is not to use lowering springs with these shocks if they are too low; I was advised nothing lower than 30mm. However mild lowering springs are ok such as some of the Eibachs and the ACS ones. Lorcan advised the ACS ones are within the 30mm tolerance so it was a no brainer, especially the ACS springs were on offer at the same price as the Eibachs!

The car does look lower than I thought it would, surprisingly similar to ACS + B8 combo pictures I've seen on the forum... I'll have to measure the tyre to wheel arch distance to see.

Does your setup look similarly low as mine johnung? I have a feeling you have 18 inch rims which will obviously make a difference....
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #5
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

I ran these on my wagon before, just with Eibach springs (Eibach manufactures ACS springs)

I have to say it was a great setup, they definitely do stiffen up with harder jolts/cornering, but are smooth and compliant on normal roads, best of both worlds.
Appreciate 1
Sub517.50
      06-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
Sub5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
I ran these on my wagon before, just with Eibach springs (Eibach manufactures ACS springs)

I have to say it was a great setup, they definitely do stiffen up with harder jolts/cornering, but are smooth and compliant on normal roads, best of both worlds.
I completely agree, it it amazing at how adaptive it actually is. I'm still running my suspension in before alignment but am considering spacers to correct the stance. Thinking 12mm front and 15mm at the back.

Out of interest, have you changed your suspension setup?
      06-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post

I completely agree, it it amazing at how adaptive it actually is. I'm still running my suspension in before alignment but am considering spacers to correct the stance. Thinking 12mm front and 15mm at the back.

Out of interest, have you changed your suspension setup?
Yes I sold the car unfortunately. Got into another wagon but I'm running H&R coilovers currently.

When I did the Koni struts & springs I ran 13mm spacers. When I got my alignment checked it was still within spec kind of surprised me.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #8
Sub5
Enlisted Member
Rep

How do the coilovers compare?

That is surprising! Is 13mm the minimum you can have on the rear due to the lip on the wheel hub? I've read this in various places... Final question! Which spacers did you go for?
      06-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks johnung, I did see your posts about the Koni / Eibach combo which was definitely helpful in my decision. As you know the advice is not to use lowering springs with these shocks if they are too low; I was advised nothing lower than 30mm. However mild lowering springs are ok such as some of the Eibachs and the ACS ones. Lorcan advised the ACS ones are within the 30mm tolerance so it was a no brainer, especially the ACS springs were on offer at the same price as the Eibachs!

The car does look lower than I thought it would, surprisingly similar to ACS + B8 combo pictures I've seen on the forum... I'll have to measure the tyre to wheel arch distance to see.

Does your setup look similarly low as mine johnung? I have a feeling you have 18 inch rims which will obviously make a difference....
Yours appears lower than mine but there are variables like my car is a 335i xDrive. My Eibachs only lowered front 0.8" and rear 0.6". My tires are 245/40-18 which are lower diameter than stock which increases my tire/fender gap slightly but I went for the best handling size.

Farkle! has posted a lot about the stock spring specs which effect ride height and aftermarket spring drop.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #10
BNTLY
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34

Quote:

Sweet setup, I’m definitely looking into it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 01:25 AM   #11
killbill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i e92 & 2015 328i GT xDrive

Thanks for the write up.

Really help me make my decision with this Combo!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 12:38 PM   #12
Sub5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbill View Post
Thanks for the write up.

Really help me make my decision with this Combo!!!
Any progress on going for this setup?
      10-28-2020, 08:54 PM   #13
killbill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i e92 & 2015 328i GT xDrive

Hey,

Yeah I contacted Koni directly and they said the rear shocks are out of stock. Even their authorized dealers.

Will re-stock mid November hopefully.

Quote:
Any progress on going for this setup?
Appreciate 0