F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Cold weather causing weird sounds in car?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Cold weather causing weird sounds in car?

Hey guys back with another problem, hoping it's nothing serious. Ever since the weather has been getting cold here I've been hearing a weird sound when the car is not warmed up, mainly in the morning that I've never had before.

Kinda sounds like the loud injectors our car naturally has but it is a different tone and is very inconsistent unlike my loud HPFP/ Injectors. On top of that, I've recently been hearing a sound that sounds like someone quietly whispering "ahhhhhhh" when I push lightly in the throttle when exiting my neighborhood in the morning. Both these sounds go away after getting on the freeway a few minutes later and the car is running like a champ besides this. Forgot to add recently when the car exits my driveway it's very sluggish like it has a mini fuel cut like a bog when first giving light throttle but goes away shortly.

I also received a low engine oil warning light saying I had minimum oil and to top off about a week ago and have done a oil change thinking it could be the culprit but the sound is still there.

Here's a video you can hear the sound. The car had been left on idle for about 5 minutes after driving a little locally. If you listen carefully you can hear the inconsistent quiet chirping in between the clicks.
What do you guys think the sound could be?

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
Mikej0h
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i G30 2018

To me it's sounds like the cooling fan turning on and change rpm a bit...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #3
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i msport 6mt

Does it make the noise if the blower is not on? My guess is its the hvac blower motor. Every one ive ever had made some sort of weird noise in the cold.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:04 PM   #4
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej0h View Post
To me it's sounds like the cooling fan turning on and change rpm a bit...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiswurm View Post
Does it make the noise if the blower is not on? My guess is its the hvac blower motor. Every one ive ever had made some sort of weird noise in the cold.
Tried messing with the heating/cooling system being on or off last few days but the ticking sound remains the same regardless of it being on. It is very inconsistent and randomly there sometimes even when warmed up while other times it's not there at all. My gf has even noticed it as well saying it wasn't there before.

Did a pull earlier today as well and afterwards I could hear the clicking very lightly but it was clicking very rapidly without any delay in between only when on the pedal lightly.

Also the quiet "ahhhh" sound was still there today and I produced the sound when driving the car was once turned on for the first minute every time regardless already warmed up or not. It sounds like someone sighing very loudly but only with their breath and no sound. Wonder what the hell this could be
Appreciate 0