F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > UPDATE JULY 2019 - My initial thoughts on the Golf GTI (for those who asked)
Extreme Powerhouse

05-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #23
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

If you want to do any coding such as turning off stop/start or coding out the soundaktor fake noise thing drop me a PM and I’ll tell you more about ODBEleven. (Don’t want to bore the nice bmw folk on here )

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
DaveA1794.50
      05-22-2019, 01:31 AM   #24
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Great write up Dave, thanks

Car looks spot on, just cannot beat a GTI.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
DaveA1794.50
      05-22-2019, 01:40 AM   #25
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
DaveA1794.50
      05-22-2019, 03:22 AM   #26
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
If you want to do any coding such as turning off stop/start or coding out the soundaktor fake noise thing drop me a PM and I’ll tell you more about ODBEleven. (Don’t want to bore the nice bmw folk on here )
You can disable soundaktor by selecting Individual profile and setting Engine Sound option to Eco (keep all other bits in most aggressive modes).
Appreciate 1
DaveA1794.50
      05-22-2019, 05:58 AM   #27
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

That's one cracking GTi and thanks the the write up.

I loved my Mk6 GTi a few years back which was in candy white.

I do sometimes think about saving my self a couple of hundred quid pcm and getting into a well spec'd GTi again as in all honesly they do everything I need out of a car.

Very shallow and wrong I know - but badge snobbery is probably the only thing that holds be back.
      05-22-2019, 06:14 AM   #28
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20MAW73 View Post
Thanks

Quote:

I do sometimes think about saving my self a couple of hundred quid pcm and getting into a well spec'd GTi again as in all honesly they do everything I need out of a car.
... it definitely does that and more, for me, if I am being honest. It's plenty quick enough and carries all that I need carrying in a really nice smart package that is well built...

Quote:
Very shallow and wrong I know - but badge snobbery is probably the only thing that holds be back.
I don't think of it as badge snobbery so much as folk making the choices they want to make for their own reasons... I do get a little miffed sometimes when folk seem to suggest there is a big difference between cars/makes etc where there really is not so much of a difference (I guess that is what I would think of as badge snobbery), but if it is more a case of a person saying "you pays your money you makes your choice", then you just got to do what you want...

That's all I ever do..

For me, it came down to a choice of 1 series vrs Golf vrs Hyundai i30 N Performance (and possibly an A3 of some sort)... I thought the Golf the better overall proposition of those... There was not much to choose in terms of quality, just different approaches in style etc... I could have gone for the Hyundai if it had a DSG box and I was making simply a decision based on the "hot" element of "hot hatch"...

Golf R, S3 etc were a bit too much for me...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:15 AM   #29
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopete822 View Post
You can disable soundaktor by selecting Individual profile and setting Engine Sound option to Eco (keep all other bits in most aggressive modes).
I'll try that later... and if it helps save the trees, bonus...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2019, 06:22 AM   #30
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Splendid it's a great all round packages IMO. Reviews are all extremely positive, these days I'm not sure what a 5 star car rating is, seems to be reserved for GT3s but this is a 5 star.
Well, I think so... I know some have been a bit "eyebrows raised" over my comparing the car positively against my previous 340i M Sport, but, really, they are both slightly different looking fish swimming in the same pond when it comes down to it...

Refreshing that VW have stuck so much kit on the car as standard so you do not need to go mad on the "extras"... Although, having said that, I found a car that closely matched my requirements out of stock, and I suspect that is how others get them...

I suspect that some of this spec bonanza is down to the arrival later in the year of the Mk8... If BMW had have loaded the 140's and kept them under £40k, I would have looked more seriously at them... although, I have to say, the interior of the 1-ers looks dated now we are seeing more G series cars...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:37 AM   #31
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Quote:
Thanks

Quote:

... it definitely does that and more, for me, if I am being honest. It's plenty quick enough and carries all that I need carrying in a really nice smart package that is well built...

Quote:
I don't think of it as badge snobbery so much as folk making the choices they want to make for their own reasons... I do get a little miffed sometimes when folk seem to suggest there is a big difference between cars/makes etc where there really is not so much of a difference (I guess that is what I would think of as badge snobbery), but if it is more a case of a person saying "you pays your money you makes your choice", then you just got to do what you want...

That's all I ever do..

For me, it came down to a choice of 1 series vrs Golf vrs Hyundai i30 N Performance (and possibly an A3 of some sort)... I thought the Golf the better overall proposition of those... There was not much to choose in terms of quality, just different approaches in style etc... I could have gone for the Hyundai if it had a DSG box and I was making simply a decision based on the "hot" element of "hot hatch"...

The Golf R never looks as good to me styling wise as the GTI. Some R's imo can look very plain looking.
      05-22-2019, 06:37 AM   #32
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
Will look forward to hearing more of your thoughts as you get more miles under its belt!

What's the ride comfort like compared to the 340i?

From all you ever see and hear about the Golf GTi, especially the Mk 7.5, it's a brilliant all rounder. Especially for the money when the right deals are about.

Enjoy!
So, this is what I wrote recently about the 340’s ride…

The ride was truly dreadful on typical rough and patched b-roads. Bobbly and jittery, it always felt unsettled and I never felt like I could push the car on those roads. Having moved in the last year to a more rural environment, I felt this particularly. On the smooth stuff, it was much better, and so it was this inconsistency where I seriously felt a compromise in the set up. On a car listing between £40k and £50k, I expected better (and do not expect to have to pay for aftermarket enhancements).

The steering also felt a bit “disconnected” when on these b-roads and I never felt that I could really feel what the front tyres were doing in feedback through the steering wheel (I have the VSS, if that makes any difference).

I am not sure that I really described that very well, but even with correct tyre inflation, it felt like the tyres were pumped right up and the tyres were just bouncing across the road and over bumps.. One of the regulars ( Wills2 ) pointed out that big wheels and RFT tyres were a big factor here (lack of compliance)… and I do not disagree…

The upshot was I never felt the grip on the road through the steering…

The Golf is not like that. Once I corrected the tyre pressures I got the feel I was looking for without the jitteriness in the ride.,.. Yes, it is a pretty firm ride… But, most importantly, you still feel connected to the road and, using the FWD to its advantage, if you take a wide/late line in use the power to the front wheels to drag the car through the corner, you get a very direct and connected ride… I can already feel that the car will be more fun to drive in a spirited manner than the BMW was…

Yes, our pock marked and patched roads will still unsettle the Golf, but, overall, I can feel that happening better than I could feel it in the BMW, so my confidence in it is better… Whereas, with the BMW, it seemed more an act of faith that the tyres were gripping rather than you actually feeling it…

The P Zero tyres the Golf came with seem quiet whilst doing the job… I will be interested to have a look in some of the forums to see what other owners do with replacement tyres…

Having never driven an “R”, I cannot say how the FWD car drives in comparison to the AWD version, but the rear end certainly does not seem wayward on the GTI, following the front through the corner as it ought to…

Last edited by DaveA; 05-22-2019 at 07:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
Scoobyd1933.50
      05-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #33
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Well, I think so... I know some have been a bit "eyebrows raised" over my comparing the car positively against my previous 340i M Sport, but, really, they are both slightly different looking fish swimming in the same pond when it comes down to it...

Refreshing that VW have stuck so much kit on the car as standard so you do not need to go mad on the "extras"... Although, having said that, I found a car that closely matched my requirements out of stock, and I suspect that is how others get them...

I suspect that some of this spec bonanza is down to the arrival later in the year of the Mk8... If BMW had have loaded the 140's and kept them under £40k, I would have looked more seriously at them... although, I have to say, the interior of the 1-ers looks dated now we are seeing more G series cars...
Yep my mk 7 was also a stock car back in 2014 - and they might have forgotten to price in the PP kit. Paid a real £24k for it and sold it 18 months later for £20k when I bought an A6 - change of circs for car use meant I needed 4 doors and an auto...
Appreciate 1
DaveA1794.50
      05-22-2019, 06:40 AM   #34
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks

Quote:

Quote:

That's all I ever do..

The Golf R never looks as good to me styling wise as the GTI. Some R's imo can look very plain looking.
I agree with that. The GTI is the iconic understated hot hatch, the R is nondescript at the front and overstated at the back. 1 exhaust pipe per cylinder FFS.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #35
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I would not mind the black wing mirror caps on mine.. I think they look quite sporty on a white car... Might look into that...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:50 AM   #36
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

@DaveA and Wills2 on the runflat tyres.

Completely agree. BMW and the tyre manufacturers have gradually improved things, but they are a hampering factor that other manufacturers do not have, especially when combined with large wheels.

My E90 on 17s handled well but rode badly. My F36 on 19s I was initially impressed by the ride improvement, but came to realise that this was at the relative expense of handling.

I didn't swap to non-RFTs, but I feel that even then you are still subject to a compromise as you are driving on suspension that is tuned to cope with stiff sidewalls.

In that context, not surprising that small wheeled BMWs and anything from other manufacturers can show a handling or ride advantage.

I shouldn't keep typing this on a car forum, but after three weeks of using it almost daily it's abundantly clear that my wife's Auris has way better front end feeling around 0-30mph than my 440i did. That's quite a shame.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:59 AM   #37
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I agree with that. The GTI is the iconic understated hot hatch, the R is nondescript at the front and overstated at the back. 1 exhaust pipe per cylinder FFS.
With the stock GTI now at 245 hp, the difference to the 300 hp R is not so great, either... Be interested to see how the Mk8 GTI's and R's are specified/priced...

I am also interested to see BMW's strategy with the new 1-er... If they go for something like an X2 in a more traditionally hatchback type of body, with a G series interior, it might be a good step change from the existing 1-er...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #38
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
I don't see badge issue between a 3/4 series and a Golf GTi.
      05-22-2019, 07:07 AM   #39
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
@DaveA and Wills2 on the runflat tyres.

Completely agree. BMW and the tyre manufacturers have gradually improved things, but they are a hampering factor that other manufacturers do not have, especially when combined with large wheels.

My E90 on 17s handled well but rode badly. My F36 on 19s I was initially impressed by the ride improvement, but came to realise that this was at the relative expense of handling.

I didn't swap to non-RFTs, but I feel that even then you are still subject to a compromise as you are driving on suspension that is tuned to cope with stiff sidewalls.

In that context, not surprising that small wheeled BMWs and anything from other manufacturers can show a handling or ride advantage.

I shouldn't keep typing this on a car forum, but after three weeks of using it almost daily it's abundantly clear that my wife's Auris has way better front end feeling around 0-30mph than my 440i did. That's quite a shame.
As part of what I do for a living (when not posting on here, of course) I spend a lot of time in rental cars and whilst the BMW always felt a nice environment to get back into (after some of the rentals, in particular), I often felt that many of the rentals I had actually had the feel of being better connected to the road than the BMW... The Infinity Q50, in particular, is interesting because it also uses RFT's yet never felt as bobbly as the BMW (except the one with the tyre pressures so high I could have taken off if it was helium in the tyres).. and the state of some of the roads in the USA makes ours look lovely...

It's not that I think the BMW was any less connected, just that it never fed back the feel of being connected... and the jitteriness over some road surfaces was quite unsettling as a driver...

My feeling was that a £50k saloon/sedan should be better sorted from the factory...

The Golf has traditional low profile tyres with a space-saver spare... Not sure why BMW cannot do that, looking at the space it takes to do so...
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #40
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I don't see badge issue between a 3/4 series and a Golf GTi.
Yep I know it is completly wrong and as I said I may very well jump in a Mk8 GTI if they are out available when my 440i deal runs out in a years time.

I also have a Tiguan R Line on order for the Mrs so I could have a VW family driveway in the future.
      05-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #41
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Regarding small German hatch backs

I think Audi have done a good job with the styling of the new A1. A hot hatch version could be interesting but it would have to be s-tronic for me to consider one due to the millaege I do.

https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/au...018/07-a1.html
      05-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #42
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:

The Golf is not like that. Once I corrected the tyre pressures I got the feel I was looking for without the jitteriness in the ride.,.. Yes, it is a pretty firm ride… But, most importantly, you still feel connected to the road and, using the FWD to its advantage, if you take a wide/late line in use the power to the front wheels to drag the car through the corner, you get a very direct and connected ride… I can already feel that the car will be more fun to drive in a spirited manner than the BMW was…

Yes, our pock marked and patched roads will still unsettle the Golf, but, overall, I can feel that happening better than I could feel it in the BMW, so my confidence in it is better… Whereas, with the BMW, it seemed more an act of faith that the tyres were gripping rather than you actually feeling it…
To be fair, even my MkV GTI was like this, in comparison to the F3x. I appreciate the power, ability to put the power down, and economy of my F31 - which are essentially all the reasons I wanted to buy one - but it is not rewarding to drive in the way the GTI was.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:48 AM   #43
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Looks like a great GTI. I am waiting to see what they do with the Mk8 GTI and it may well go on my list to replace my F36 440i.
      05-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #44
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Yep I know it is completly wrong and as I said I may very well jump in a Mk8 GTI if they are out available when my 440i deal runs out in a years time.

I also have a Tiguan R Line on order for the Mrs so I could have a VW family driveway in the future.
No I get that a badge can put you off, I'm the same (after all the badge reflects the equity of the brand) I just don't see that issue between the Golf GTi and a 3/4 series.

Astra/Focus vs 3/4 series, yes!