F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > CCTV / QNAP
Extreme Powerhouse

07-11-2019, 06:46 AM   #1
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

CCTV / QNAP

I've read the previous CCTV threads but I couldn't see definitive votes for or against specific CCTV cameras working with QNAP NAS.

Personal experience is often more accurate than official NAS manufacturer compatibility certification, so perhaps someone here can help.

I have a 6-bay QNAP NAS (TVS663) with plenty of clock speed, RAM and capacity. I am considering installing a single outdoor CCTV camera to monitor the driveway and the cars; thinking of the following specs/features :

POE
Dome (easier to keep clean than an exposed camera lens ?)
PTZ if the price point isn't ridiculous
Motion detection (preferably PIR as I don't want hedges etc triggering false recordings/alerts, and switchable)
HD
Night vision with IR cut filter
Recoding distance would need to be about 10M

If anyone has any direct experience (good or bad) then I'd be interested to hear about it.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

I could understand you wanting to use a QNAP if you had a 16 camera set up recording everything in 4k, but for a single camera setup will a traditional DVR/NVR setup not do?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
I could understand you wanting to use a QNAP if you had a 16 camera set up recording everything in 4k, but for a single camera setup will a traditional DVR/NVR setup not do?
The NAS is already on my home LAN and every room is Cat6 cabled, so installation should be simple - a single hole through the lounge wall or window, mount the camera and activate recording.

What with the NAS, Amazon Fire TV, media streamers, and handheld devices I really don't need another box to have to manage !

All I need is a reliable, high def, compatible CCTV camera.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #4
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330xd, E39 M5, I01 i3

I'm running a QNap with 3 Lilin cameras here. Works very well for long-term storage but playback can be a bit of a faff.

I didn't bother with PTZ. Motion detection is excellent on the Lilins. You can define a zone for it to look at or have it use face detection.

Make sure you get one that has decent FPS including in night mode.

Feel free to ping me a PM if you want to talk specifics.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

I have a synology with 6 POE camera.

In terms of camera you havent specified where it will be... generally dome is used where reachable... if elevated out of reach turret is far better - domes need to be cleaned regularly if exposed to the elements.

In terms of camera i have a mixture of Hikvision... if you plan to have your ip camera’s open to the internet make sure you consider security... i connected my camera to a separate vlan.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #6
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

We have 6 Poe's attached to a dedicated hikvision NVR, works well, simple, easy to administrate and just does the job

Does the qnap allow cloud backup at all?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #7
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkiboo View Post
I'm running a QNap with 3 Lilin cameras here. Works very well for long-term storage but playback can be a bit of a faff.

I didn't bother with PTZ. Motion detection is excellent on the Lilins. You can define a zone for it to look at or have it use face detection.

Make sure you get one that has decent FPS including in night mode.

Feel free to ping me a PM if you want to talk specifics.
Thanks - will PM you.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
I have a synology with 6 POE camera.

In terms of camera you havent specified where it will be... generally dome is used where reachable... if elevated out of reach turret is far better - domes need to be cleaned regularly if exposed to the elements.

In terms of camera i have a mixture of Hikvision... if you plan to have your ip camera’s open to the internet make sure you consider security... i connected my camera to a separate vlan.
I've been looking at the Hikvision units - will PM you about specific models.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #9
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
We have 6 Poe's attached to a dedicated hikvision NVR, works well, simple, easy to administrate and just does the job

Does the qnap allow cloud backup at all?
Yes, the QNAP does include option for external backup; Cloud and local external drive. As the CCTV would be set in continuous loop/overwrite mode I'll just dedicate a block of space in one of the RAID arrays.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #10
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

I've got Synology NAS and Hikvision cameras. The 8mp Hikvision cameras are great you can nearly see the blades of grass in the lawn. A mix of domes and exposed lenses and I find the exposed lenses don't get as dirty as the domes and are better at night vision.

However i've never got motion detection to work properly at all on my Synology or Hikvision NVR that my parents have. It either records when you don't want it too or misses proper motion. To which I have resorted to leaving on 24/7 record and having a ring doorbell to detect motion which works really well.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #11
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
I've got Synology NAS and Hikvision cameras. The 8mp Hikvision cameras are great you can nearly see the blades of grass in the lawn. A mix of domes and exposed lenses and I find the exposed lenses don't get as dirty as the domes and are better at night vision.

However i've never got motion detection to work properly at all on my Synology or Hikvision NVR that my parents have. It either records when you don't want it too or misses proper motion. To which I have resorted to leaving on 24/7 record and having a ring doorbell to detect motion which works really well.
Thanks EDPC. Which HIK models are you using ?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #12
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Thanks EDPC. Which HIK models are you using ?
My original ones are these;

https://www.hikvision.com/it/Prodott...P/DS-2CD1341-I

The Dome 5mp are these;

https://www.hikvision.com/en/Product...2CD2155FWD-I(S)

And the 8mp dome is this;

https://www.hikvision.com/europe/Pro...2CD2185FWD-I(S)

After buying the 8mp after all the rest i'd of just bought them all in 8mp. Just ensure you've got the recording and processing power for the 8mp cameras on your NAS.

I prefer my original ones to the domes, however we went with the domes as they are a smaller camera compared to the rest. The newer ones they've made the camera physical size bigger so they stand out a lot more. They're all good though, but for the higher res cameras you need the processing power to back them up.

They've just done some new darkfighter ones which I did consider buying when purchasing the 8mp dome, however the night vision on all of the above is perfectly fine.
Appreciate 1
Watsey6403.50