F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > De-badging without friction?
proTUNING Freaks

09-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #1
Cantab
Rep
Drives: 440GC M Edition

De-badging without friction?

Hey all,
Does anyone know if I will be able to completely remove the x drive badge adhesive with JUST a solvent?

I've often de-badge my cars because I like the cleaner look and particularly don't like the Xdrive badge. I want to remove it from my 1 month old car but this time the issue is that I have a frozen (Matte/satin) paint finish. This means once I remove the badge I won't be able to use any fricton (polishing/buffing) to eliminate any residual adhesive. Hence the question, are there paint friendly solvents that will reliably remove any remaining adhesive once badge is off?

It's a newer car so that should help but would still welcome your views! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 12:31 AM   #2
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

If you use a heat gun/hair dryer + fishing line or floss, the adhesive is pretty easy to remove. I would think Goo Gone would still be safe/helpful to take off any leftover residue without buffing, but will let others chime in
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
draggy
sucka for a longroof
Rep
Drives: F31

I used my finger to rub and roll the adhesive off then goo gone for any little that remained. Heat helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #4
Cantab
Rep
Drives: 440GC M Edition

Thanks guys. Used a hair dryer and was able to get the adhesive to stick to the badge instead of the car! No solvent needed at all
Appreciate 0