F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > BMW CPO buying advice?
proTUNING Freaks

06-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
tjknight
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic EX Coupe

BMW CPO buying advice?

So a little background...long-time 3-series lover but never owned one. Been waiting for the right time, and I think I'm there.

But so far, the buying experience has been really poor, and I'm seeing some patterns.

I search my local area (NY Tri-State/Metro) and there are of course hundreds of CPO F30s for sale. I've got it narrowed to: 2017/330ix/20k-35k mi/$20k-$25k purchase price. Should be simple, right?

Well every dealer I call says the same thing. "Let me check if thats in stock" > "No it's in the prep center" or "already sold, but we have similar vehicles available". This has happened at 4 different dealers now. I'm looking to take advantage of 0.9% financing on CPO before month's end, and it will seemingly take weeks just to track down a car I can drive.

Additionally, I get the feeling that being "knowledgeable" about these cars might be working against me. I've not only done my research, but I've been a fan of the 3 since I was a literal child. I'm not going to settle for something I dont want (like a 320i or an X1) so maybe they feel I'm a waste of time? I dont know.

Are all these "good" listings just honeypots to get my phone number? I feel manipulated already...Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
quick6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

maybe lease a new M340i for about 600/mo which is $21,600 over 3 years if you can't find what you want.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
tjknight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick6 View Post
maybe lease a new M340i for about 600/mo which is $21,600 over 3 years if you can't find what you want.
Sounds awesome, but i do want some kind of investment. I can make payments on a CPO F30, which has already taken the brunt of it's depreciation hit during the lease period (usually almost 40% of the value is gone in 18 months), staying ahead of the depreciation curve and staying above water on the loan.

I want to keep this car a while. I'm hoping it can last as I only drive 4 or 5k miles a year, sometimes less.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      06-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

It sounds like you know about what you want - I'd look into private party sales, and if you find one that checks off your boxes then go take it in for an inspection. If it passes that - perhaps go ahead and buy it.

CPO is nice but not exactly mandatory, especially if you find an otherwise similar car for a grand or two less.

As for shopping through the dealer, I wouldn't have expected such fast turn around but if that's the case then - once again you seem to know what you want and so you are fairly well armed to go ahead and go into a dealer, see what they have, and be ready to make a purchase if you see what you like.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
tjknight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
It sounds like you know about what you want - I'd look into private party sales, and if you find one that checks off your boxes then go take it in for an inspection. If it passes that - perhaps go ahead and buy it.

CPO is nice but not exactly mandatory, especially if you find an otherwise similar car for a grand or two less.

As for shopping through the dealer, I wouldn't have expected such fast turn around but if that's the case then - once again you seem to know what you want and so you are fairly well armed to go ahead and go into a dealer, see what they have, and be ready to make a purchase if you see what you like.
Yeah might just take some vigilance. If I can't find the right thing before end of this month I'm less likely to go through BMWFS.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I suggest to take a look at cars for sale in Southern California and Arizona. You will get a car which has been driven mainly in a summer climate. It's a bit far but shipping is a always an option.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
tjknight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
I suggest to take a look at cars for sale in Southern California and Arizona. You will get a car which has been driven mainly in a summer climate. It's a bit far but shipping is a always an option.
Yeah Carvana will sometimes ship cars for really cheap from out there, but their prices are pretty high and non-negotiable. If covid wasn't around I could road-trip America...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #8
Torquey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i GT | 550i 6MT

one of the cheaper ones close to you ... have you seen this one already?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:38 PM   #9
tjknight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquey View Post
one of the cheaper ones close to you ... have you seen this one already?
Would be out of my search range, that's closer to Philadelphia. I'm near NYC. But definitely the sort of specimen I'm looking for...and have found, though all of the listings are ghosts once I call.

Did find one that's available near me. Not CPO but at a dealer. Red flag is that it's been off lease since November supposedly with the same OD reading. Weird for a car to just sit there while in dealer possession? They had it listed at about $5k higher asking price 7 months ago. Worried there's a reason it hasn't sold.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #10
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Are you searching the CPOs and used through BMW website?

https://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified-use...?zipCode=60007
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #11
bjh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330ix

very pleased

Try BMW Manhattan. Yes, I initially expressed interest in a vehicle that was ultimately unavailable. This happened elsewhere also. But...they offered me a gorgeous 2017 330ix that I purchased. Another dealer in New Jersey was also eager to please. Give them a chance.

I am very happy...20K miles and looks new, inside and out. Such a pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:15 PM   #12
bjh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330ix

and...

CPO, by the way.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #13
tjknight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
Are you searching the CPOs and used through BMW website?

https://cpo.bmwusa.com/certified-use...?zipCode=60007
Yeah using that tool, 4 different dealers had listings up that were 'sold' when I called about them, and all 4 times I was told they have other similar cars I can look at (I've worked in retail, but it was kinda funny to hear the company lines repeated).

One dealer had a car they told me was at the prep center. Same sales agent (internet sales person) calls me back the next day, asks me to remind her which unit I was calling about. She looked it up (probably not) and said "oh that car was sold, yeah". I didn't want to make a fuss but I knew that wasn't true. Unless another dealer bought it or something, the listing had stock photos and the car literally wasn't available to test drive 24h earlier. Was just listed a few days before that. I guarantee that "stock" CPO listing will stay there for a time. Generates leads.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #14
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjknight View Post
Yeah using that tool, 4 different dealers had listings up that were 'sold' when I called about them, and all 4 times I was told they have other similar cars I can look at (I've worked in retail, but it was kinda funny to hear the company lines repeated).

One dealer had a car they told me was at the prep center. Same sales agent (internet sales person) calls me back the next day, asks me to remind her which unit I was calling about. She looked it up (probably not) and said "oh that car was sold, yeah". I didn't want to make a fuss but I knew that wasn't true. Unless another dealer bought it or something, the listing had stock photos and the car literally wasn't available to test drive 24h earlier. Was just listed a few days before that. I guarantee that "stock" CPO listing will stay there for a time. Generates leads.
I feel sorry for your hard time. I had to go 75 miles from my home to get the CPO I wanted. This was end of February, and I remember I was later upset because I was watching the same dealer stock just seated and prices dropping week after week with COVID. I could get my car for less if I waited one month. Looking the positive side, the fact you are having such hard time to find the car you want is a sign the economy is somehow bouncing back (fingers crossed). Maybe you should increase your searching area. Good luck!
Appreciate 1