F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Coilover Install DIY or by Shop
proTUNING Freaks

02-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
Jnursey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Coilover Install DIY or by Shop

I have just purchased BC coils and am considering installing them myself but I also got a quote from a local shop to do the install/alignment for $350.

I was curious based on members opinions on here if I should consider doing this install myself or just bite the bullet. I am relatively mechanically inclined and have done installs such as Downpipe Chargepipe etc but I would need to purchase or rent spring compressors etc. Maybe even purchase a torque wrench as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnursey View Post
I have just purchased BC coils and am considering installing them myself but I also got a quote from a local shop to do the install/alignment for $350.

I was curious based on members opinions on here if I should consider doing this install myself or just bite the bullet. I am relatively mechanically inclined and have done installs such as Downpipe Chargepipe etc but I would need to purchase or rent spring compressors etc. Maybe even purchase a torque wrench as well.
If you haven't done it before it's a fun little project. Depending on how rusty it is under there you could be in for a headache if you don't have an impact and spreader for the knuckle
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 06:29 PM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:

If your local auto parts store rents spring compressors, they probably rent torque wrenches too.

That said, if you don't already have those parts, you might also need some of the less common torx/etorx and passthroughs our cars require. You can see all the tools used in my video below. If you find you're lacking lots of the tools required, $350 really doesn't seem like much for someone else to do it. Or you can always use it as an excuse to go on a tool shopping spree !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Index
0:00 Intro
0:14 Removing covers in the engine bay
1:30 Loosening/removing top mount hardware
3:43 *BMW xDrive method* Removing the front axle collar bolt
5:07 Raising the car
5:13 Disconnecting front wheel well components
8:39 Dropping the front knuckle
9:01 Removing the strut assembly
10:46 Front strut assembly disassembly
12:22 Front strut assembly reassembly
15:06 Installing the front strut assembly into the car
16:59 Reinstalling front wheel well components
19:43 Disconnecting rear wheel well components
20:36 Disconnecting rear camber arm hardware
21:59 Rear damper removal
22:15 Rear spring removal, and new spring installation
22:52 Rear damper assembly disassembly
24:23 Rear damper assembly reassembly
26:06 Installing the rear damper assembly into the car
26:29 Rear camber arm to wheel carrier assembly
27:31 Rear camber arm hardware torquing
28:11 Rear wheel well components installation
28:34 Wheels installation
28:51 Torquing top mount hardware
29:51 Installing engine bay covers
30:33 Closing remarks

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
damack188.50
TX55247.00
      02-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

For $350 including alignment, this is a more than fair price considering you would not be dealing with compressing springs and other tasks with higher risks.
Appreciate 1
FastF30521.00
      02-27-2021, 04:42 AM   #5
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:

like with most things, it depends i suppose.
i'm one of those that did it myself following ISTA + Farkle; it was a bit of a pain at times, was on my own, but in the end all the better for it and a very satisfying experience. However my reasons were doing it were to save money in the long run i.e. if i fancied swapping them out again + i wanted the general knowledge as i track the car and wanted to learn so i could make upgrades in the future.

In the short run, it might end up being almost as expensive as taking it to the shop, simply because of the tooling required, so it totally depends; if you already have some of the tools, then great, might as well have a go yourself.

if however you don't, and you're only ever planning on doing this once and leaving these new coilovers in your car for years, then probably just pay the 350 and let them at it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #6
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

I am a DIY guy, so my gut response is do it yourself. But I think you should be realistic and ask yourself if you are ready to jump in. While swapping the suspension isn't terribly hard, without the right tools it would be a frustrating experience. It sounds like you don't have much in the way of tools so buying the right stuff will cost you close to what you have been quoted or maybe even more. As others noted there are things like torx bits, pass through sockets, etc. that are necessary and then other tools that will make it go much smoother. If you plan do this kind of work in the future or are looking to start building a tool box for this project and future ones/cars, then go for it. I find it very satisfying to do the work myself. Watch Farkle's video a few times to get a feel for it and also to take notes on the tools you will need. ECS is a good spot for a lot of the things you'll need. Schwaben makes them and are reasonably priced.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #7
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
$350 is a no brainer... mine was double that...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #8
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
$350 is a no brainer... mine was double that...
Makes me a little nervous about the quality of the work... Seems like a pretty good deal considering an alignment is close to 100$ by itself
      03-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #9
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Makes me a little nervous about the quality of the work... Seems like a pretty good deal considering an alignment is close to 100$ by itself
I can see your point... I still had to help them figure out how to adjust my coilovers properly since mine has double adjustment... but BK are pretty straight forward... suggest watching a BK install video and then watch/ help them install...

Last edited by FastF30; 03-02-2021 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Depends on what you plan on using the car for...if there are track days ahead then the knowledge may prove indispensable later on. 350 is a good price assuming it is done properly.

I didn't use spring compressors for removal of the stock springs or installation BCs so I doubt you will need them.

Setting the ride height was the most time consuming step for me because you have to remove the wheel, turn the collars, put the wheel back on, settle the suspension and measure.
Appreciate 0