F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Swiss Road Test
GetBMWParts

02-26-2021, 03:41 AM   #1
jpjpjpjp
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Swiss Road Test

Just got back from the Swiss DMV. I imported my US car into Switzerland a few months back.

No issues with the car being US spec but they did test the suspension and came back with a few issues. It is a 2014 BMW 335 xDrive w/M Sport Package

The first issue is with the rear shock absorber(foam piece I think) needs to be replaced as it is worn. Not complaining as it is a wear and tear item and the car currently has 55k miles on it.

The second issue, I'm a bit confused by. They ran a test that as far as I understand measures suspension travel distances. The rear came back fine but the front had a difference between each wheel. The left wheel moved 27% while the right wheel moved 39%. The tolerable difference is 30% and since this is Switzerland, of course my car failed the test with a 31% difference. This Swiss DMV provides a document that I translated which summarizes the test as: "Vibration amplitude of the wheel suspension leftand right; (maximum permissible deviationleft / right: 30%; minimum damping required)."

My question is, is there some sort of equivalent test in the US that I can read up about so I can get better informed? Also, I asked some people over on the Swiss english forums(not a car forum) and they thought it meant I might need to replace my front struts. Does this sound right? Is there any sort of alignment adjust I could do instead?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 06:19 AM   #2
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

It just means one damper/spring is in worse condition than the other - could simply be failing with age.

Unless you've got electronic damping and can adjust it on a per side basis, I can't see how you could 'adjust it'.

The only way of rectifying this is to either replace one side or the other - once you know what component is causing the variance - or to replace both sides to be 100% sure (as they're both the same age anyway).
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #3
jpjpjpjp
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Replacement parts

Going to see a few mechanics on the weekend. What are the chances its a cheap fix with a cheap part?

After reading up, if the suspension does need to be replaced, I thinking of going with the BILSTEIN B12. Am I right to assume about 5-7 hours labor for a suspension job like that?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #4
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Gotta love that Swiss precision. They do not f*ck around over there huh. And yes it will take a few hours for most shops to install new shock absorbers up front. Probably ~ 2 hours per side depending on the shop.