F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > almost immediate buyer's remorse on BMW 440 GC
GetBMWParts

07-20-2019, 06:24 AM   #67
NYOreo23
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Hatchback functionality in a car with superior handing dynamics. No point arguing aesthetics, as subjective as chocolate vs strawberry ice cream...ok, we all know chocolate is “better “.
Hmmm would love to test drive one, one day. I wonder if they’d give me one as loaner

......vanilla trumps all.
Chocolate > Strawberry tho.
Strawberry=
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 06:31 AM   #68
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYOreo23 View Post
......vanilla trumps all.
Chocolate > Strawberry tho.
Strawberry=
Didn't even consider vanilla for the comparison...vanilla should be illegal! The ultimate non-flavor...chocolate rules!

Sort of like arguing exterior design...
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #69
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondonor View Post
coupe1
/ko͞op/

noun
a car with a fixed roof, two doors, and a sloping rear.
HISTORICAL
a four-wheeled enclosed carriage for two passengers and a driver.

No mention of four doors here.

Why are we calling a four door a coupe?
Whats the point of debating the semantics. Bmw has a four door version of the 4 series, regardless of what you think it should be called. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #70
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Whats the point of debating the semantics. Bmw has a four door version of the 4 series, regardless of what you think it should be called. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
+1

Cry babies
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #71
pollpoll
Rep
Drives: BMW 440 GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondonor View Post
coupe1
/ko͞op/

noun
a car with a fixed roof, two doors, and a sloping rear.
HISTORICAL
a four-wheeled enclosed carriage for two passengers and a driver.

No mention of four doors here.

Why are we calling a four door a coupe?
It is more accurate to be called 4 series wagon
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 12:14 PM   #72
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollpoll View Post
But it's not a wagon.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #73
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Quote:
I'm a sedan kind of guy so 3 series all the way for me but I will say the 4 series GC does look nice.

Never saw the reason to spend more money though. What are the real differences between them that make people go with the GC instead of 3 series?
Hatchback functionality in a car with superior handing dynamics. No point arguing aesthetics, as subjective as chocolate vs strawberry ice cream...ok, we all know chocolate is "better ".
The 440i GC has minimal difference to the F30 post-LCI in terms of feel.

Equally optioned the 440i 4GC weighs 200lbs more than the 340i and you can definitely feel it.

Not sure what makes you site superior handling when it's basically the same car but heavier
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
eluded3005.00
      07-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #74
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post

Equally optioned the 440i 4GC weighs 200lbs more than the 340i and you can definitely feel it.

Not sure what makes you site superior handling when it's basically the same car but heavier
I heard lower center of gravity
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #75
pollpoll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Quote:
But it's not a wagon.
"sports wagon" then
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #76
pollpoll
Rep

Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've always liked the look of the 4gc over the f30 sedan or f32 coupe. It looks nothing like the hunch back GT, and I highly suggest that the person who compared it to the Pontiac Aztec needs to have their eyes checked. The gc doesn't even look like a hatch back.

Ive always thought that the 4 series 2-door coupe looks ok, but also awkward to me. It's like the doors are too long. To me it's like they took a car that's meant to have four doors and forced it into a two door, and now you're stuck with these comically long, impractical doors. It just looks wrong and contrived. I think the same about every large coupe. A coupe should be a small car. By comparison, the 2-series coupe looks much better than the 4 series coupe, and worlds better than the 6 and 8-series coupes.

Anyway, you can try to open your mind to it, and see if it grows on you over time. Sometimes, when that initial anxiety from making a large purchase goes away, you find that the buyer's remorse does as well. If after some time though, you feel the same, the car will probably always feel like a compromise. I've been in this scenario before and ditched a car I wasn't happy with after having it for under a year. If you do this, make sure you can absorb the financial hit. You can also explore options like swap a lease, or whatever, if you leased it.

The lesson learned is to not compromise on the car you want just because a dealer coaxed you in with a good lease deal. This is especially true when shopping for a premium car. If you're going to compromise by getting a car you don't like in order to save a couple or few grand, why shop for an expensive car to begin with. Sure you saved a couple thousand, but now you're stuck with a car that you're not happy with. A small compromise, such as getting a different but still acceptable color, is one thing. Getting a model you dislike is another.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
to me the extra long two doors are the most stunning part of 4 series coupe.
I feel the differences of rear roof and trunk are minor compared to the doors.

the two long doors marks all style and the beauty of 4 coupe. and they gives much better driver view without being blocked by B pilar. this makes coupe a completely different car from gran coupe, or 4 series sedan/sports wagon to be more accurate, not just a variance.

but if my GC came with mppsk I would've forgot the looking I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #77
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Wider track and lower Cg, as reported here.

https://www.motor1.com/news/143701/b...-series-coupe/

Of course, right now, we have a mix of F and G platforms in the showroom, so we need to see the new GC dimensions in the near future.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-20-2019 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #78
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
"sports wagon" then
Nope...no kind of wagon.
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #79
stobit
Enlisted Member
Rep

As this article said, GC is the coolest car no body buys.
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...dy-buys-260912

This article cited BMW sales numbers and GC only accounts for less than 30% of total 4 series sale in 2017.

BMW never split 4 series sale number to trims. In my area in SoCal, there are so many 4 series coupes on road everyday, but only occasionally I spot a GC. It is much rarer. even rarer than M4 in my area. I guess GC only took a very small portion of 4 sales number, like 10-20%. In my area, dealers always have like 12 Coupes, but only 2 GC on their lots.

OP you got your incentive for a reason. you just picked a car that is not popular, that is discount always comes after....right? GC looks not as good as coupe, but also cheaper a few grand. When I shopped my GC, dealer told me the usually gave more discount on sale price for GC compared to Coupe. It is just harder to let them go

Last edited by stobit; 07-20-2019 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #80
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
At this point, just enjoy the car. Not much else you can do.
Appreciate 1
eluded3005.00
      07-21-2019, 02:27 AM   #81
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm a sedan kind of guy so 3 series all the way for me but I will say the 4 series GC does look nice.

Never saw the reason to spend more money though. What are the real differences between them that make people go with the GC instead of 3 series?
Hatchback functionality in a car with superior handing dynamics. No point arguing aesthetics, as subjective as chocolate vs strawberry ice cream...ok, we all know chocolate is "better ".

The f30 and f36 are not the exact same car. I don't feel like listing the differences, you can do your own research if you care to be better informed. If not, I don't care.

I've driven both, LCI and pre-LCI f30 and f36, and there are certainly some clear differences in how the cars feel. If you can't feel the difference, I don't know what to tell you. There are those who can't tell the difference between a $100 bottle of fine wine and wine sold in a jug either.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 05:50 AM   #82
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Quote:
I’m a sedan kind of guy so 3 series all the way for me but I will say the 4 series GC does look nice.

Hatchback functionality in a car with superior handing dynamics. No point arguing aesthetics, as subjective as chocolate vs strawberry ice cream...ok, we all know chocolate is “better “.
^^this
"Hatchback functionality in a car with superior handing dynamics"
Perfecto
      07-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #83
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
There are those who can't tell the difference between a $100 bottle of fine wine and wine sold in a jug either.
That would be me!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #84
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
I personally like the 3 series look over the GC. It was designed as a sedan so the proportions are more "correct" imo.

Regarding your regretting your lease... well, that's why it's never smart to do a knee jerk reaction to something like getting a car. See if anyone would be willing to assume the lease. I mean the 4GC isn't THAT bad.. it's just not as sporty as you expected since you were set on a couple.
I started to wonder why 4GC ever exits.
If people like sedan they go 3 series, if they like sportier look they go 4 coupe. I see some threads claimed among half of 4 productions are GC though I didn't find any official data online to support it. So why BMW just produces them to let them stay longer in dealers's lots, harder to sell and need incentive to let them go...

On leasehackr forum, there is a tread discussing a special order 440 GC staying on dealer's lot for a year and no body buys. They said if it was coupe it would've be sold right away.

I paid some attention to the 4 series on road. I see about 4-5 times coupe everyday and but gran coupe only about once a month. Even dealer mentioned GC is harder to sell so they all left on the lot.
So if GC took half of 4 series productions is true, maybe most them were sold in Europe? the hometown of Wagon lovers? 4GC is a really better looking wagon compared to 3 series wagons.
I'm assuming up-marketing. It's a 4 series priced car.. but you want more doors? OK! Haha who knows.
      07-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #85
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year

I love the 4 series GC, I had a silver one last year. It will certainly grow on you! Colors and wheel choices make such a difference.

Try 405M wheels on the sucker, and make sure its 20 inches, here is how it looks on a GC; the bi-color silver and black combo makes it so aggressive.

The hatch-back nature makes the GC a perfect daily driver and the performance is shocking, I'm sure the only gripe you have is the silhouette. Change the wheels, if you can't at this moment then save up for them and perhaps get the vinyl (M-performance) on the side skirts.

There are also more aggressive M-Sport parts that you can fit like diffusers with fins, an aggressive yet subtle front lip, and make sure your interior suits your tastes.

Its not easy being a GC owner, but trust me, 95% of other owners are envying you right now as you drive past them. YOU WILL LOVE IT once it looks the way you want it to.

Here is the Diffuser that makes it look much better!

Appreciate 3
stobit14.50
Fuller1216.50
      07-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #86
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Dream Car

Cool I have a sport wagon and love it!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #87
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmm would love to test drive one, one day. I wonder if they’d give me one as loaner
West German in Ft Washington PA has them in the loaner fleet from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #88
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Didn't even consider vanilla for the comparison...vanilla should be illegal! The ultimate non-flavor...chocolate rules!

Sort of like arguing exterior design...
Too bad it's the USA's best selling ice cream flavor.
Appreciate 2