F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: Morimoto Projectors & Custom Angel Eyes Retrofit
ARMA SPEED

04-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #89
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherhart View Post
That's as close to factory as I have seen. Looks excellent. Wish these were a turnkey kit (hint, hint).

Jimbo
Thanks again Jimbo! LOL I'm trying to get a hold of used headlights and just start pumping them out, but it's hard to find decent ones without broken tabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madadhum View Post
Hi Bienarcis,

I am very interested to buy this for my F30 328i 2014. Please check your pm.

Thank you very much.
PM'd you madadhum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesnica View Post
Are u still doing this? I am very impressed with your work and very interested!

Could you pm the price to get this done? Can u sell the kit alone?
I remember talking to blueaudi about getting mine done but i was to late.
lol! thanks! just PM'd you.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 10:44 PM   #90
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep

No school today so I started working on SJ00's lights. Due to shipping being so expensive to Australia, we decided to opt out the projectors and HIDs to cut down on costs. So much faster to just add the acrylic extrusions lol. Should be done soon SJ00!

After these lights I might just have time to finish the rest of the DIY I've been trying to work on, hopefully lol. It's just a lot of work to put everything down on paper. But I'm glad to see other shops are starting to work on these! I know with their resources making these turn key can really be possible and the goal to get angel eyes on every f30 is near!
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2015, 11:40 PM   #91
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Dayum...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 03:57 AM   #92
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

damn dude, looks awesome
havent been this excited about a mod
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #93
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

That's some true craftsmanship right there^^^
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #94
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Rivaling ONEighty NY for sure... given 'em a run for their money
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #95
martsro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 EBII F31 M-Sport

Excellent work!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #96
ONE_slow_m5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 f90 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goon View Post
+1 my only hesitation right now is being without my car for two weeks.
i think Xtreme power house is doing something like that now. saw a post on it earlier.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 03:13 AM   #97
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys!!! much appreciated!

Just finished SJ00's lights. I'm really liking the simplicity of just halos. Or maybe it's cause there's less work involved lol!

I think I'm gonna experiment if I get my hands on another used set of halogens. Been thinking about putting another projector for the high beam, but would it cause problems if I wired both projectors(HIDs) to work as low beams at the same time? hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 05:19 AM   #98
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Take my money bro
Appreciate 3
      04-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #99
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienarcis View Post
Thanks guys!!! much appreciated!

Just finished SJ00's lights. I'm really liking the simplicity of just halos. Or maybe it's cause there's less work involved lol!

I think I'm gonna experiment if I get my hands on another used set of halogens. Been thinking about putting another projector for the high beam, but would it cause problems if I wired both projectors(HIDs) to work as low beams at the same time? hmmm...

I definitely agree this looks much cleaner and more oem like than those with projectors! have you had the chance to do this on a xenons? And amazing work btw :]
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #100
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

Insert futurma meme here. Seriously just take my money! Haha Do the halos provide any usable light? Or just completely for looks?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #101
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I never was a fan of the whole bi-xenon concept with the shutter for the high-beam either. i understand it reduces costs, but it leaves this ugly extra bulb housing empty where the high beam used to go. Being more of a form than function guy, it just always left a sour note.

i've been always wanting to do a dual xenon projector (one in each housing) instead, but in a slightly more conventional way - e.g. low-beam activates one projector, then high-beam activates the other. But 99% of the time driving at night, only one projector would be on, as i rarely have to use high-beam

But i see where you are going with your idea... and I LIKE IT You want both projectors on at the same time (with shutter down) when low-beams are on, and when you activate high-beam, the shutters on both will go up. The look of that would totally be OFF THE CHARTS sick bro And shutters would still be down during low-beam use, not throwing any extra glare out, and your output lumens would be DOUBLE ... Dayum...

But the only thing is that having a double current draw off the low-beam wiring alone would in the best case, probably blow a fuse or worst case melt the wires. At the very least, there would be a ton of extra heat. I don't know how you would get around that unless you beef up the wires and increase the fuse size.

But i like where your head is at
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #102
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

hey man... you just gave me an idea, going back to those matchbox morimotos. Retrofit told me that those lights, although small, wouldn't produce enough light for low-beams, that they are meant more for fog applications. And this is because the matching ballast is only 35w. Our low-beams are rated for 55w.

However, if you wired two sets of matchbox projectors into the housings, and tied them both to the low-beam wires, you would get:

1) smaller projectors to make them fit/flush perfect into the reflector housings.
2) looks that would kill as you would have both projectors on during low-beam use.
3) with both projectors on at low-beam, output brightness/lumens off the charts for amazing visibility, but glare still controlled as shutters would be down during low-beam use.
4) power consumption manageable at 35w x 2 = 70w which is just slightly over our 55w rated system, making it workable.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 03:35 PM   #103
CharlieVu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i x-drive Melbourn RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ00 View Post
damn dude, looks awesome
havent been this excited about a mod
Lucky!!! you're going to love them because they are Bright as fuq! I drive with my angel eyes and foglights on some nights just to show off my set up! ahhaha! About to order matching Foglight Hid's to match the angel eyes >.<

Squidlyboy,

Are you going for a QUAD SET UP?!? My Bixenon/hi beam set up is Bright as hell but you are right, it does leave that hole empty.
      04-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #104
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi&gt;M235i&gt;428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Good work, but whats the difference than oem angel eyes? i mean, why all this work when oem is already led rings?

I dont get it
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #105
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks again guys! everyone's just too nice lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defalt View Post
I definitely agree this looks much cleaner and more oem like than those with projectors! have you had the chance to do this on a xenons? And amazing work btw :]
I've had someone suggest that before, but I'm just a poor college student so I can't really go out of my way to buy xenon lights haha. Maybe if I find a cheap set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji99lypuff View Post
Insert futurma meme here. Seriously just take my money! Haha Do the halos provide any usable light? Or just completely for looks?
LOL! the halos are SUPER bright especially at night. But they aren't usable since the light isn't focused so it's just for looks lol
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #106
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
I never was a fan of the whole bi-xenon concept with the shutter for the high-beam either. i understand it reduces costs, but it leaves this ugly extra bulb housing empty where the high beam used to go. Being more of a form than function guy, it just always left a sour note.

i've been always wanting to do a dual xenon projector (one in each housing) instead, but in a slightly more conventional way - e.g. low-beam activates one projector, then high-beam activates the other. But 99% of the time driving at night, only one projector would be on, as i rarely have to use high-beam

But i see where you are going with your idea... and I LIKE IT You want both projectors on at the same time (with shutter down) when low-beams are on, and when you activate high-beam, the shutters on both will go up. The look of that would totally be OFF THE CHARTS sick bro And shutters would still be down during low-beam use, not throwing any extra glare out, and your output lumens would be DOUBLE ... Dayum...

But the only thing is that having a double current draw off the low-beam wiring alone would in the best case, probably blow a fuse or worst case melt the wires. At the very least, there would be a ton of extra heat. I don't know how you would get around that unless you beef up the wires and increase the fuse size.

But i like where your head is at
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
hey man... you just gave me an idea, going back to those matchbox morimotos. Retrofit told me that those lights, although small, wouldn't produce enough light for low-beams, that they are meant more for fog applications. And this is because the matching ballast is only 35w. Our low-beams are rated for 55w.

However, if you wired two sets of matchbox projectors into the housings, and tied them both to the low-beam wires, you would get:

1) smaller projectors to make them fit/flush perfect into the reflector housings.
2) looks that would kill as you would have both projectors on during low-beam use.
3) with both projectors on at low-beam, output brightness/lumens off the charts for amazing visibility, but glare still controlled as shutters would be down during low-beam use.
4) power consumption manageable at 35w x 2 = 70w which is just slightly over our 55w rated system, making it workable.
hahaha I too am a big form guy. And you know exactly what I'm saying! The light would be SO bright but still focused and not blinding since there's a cutoff. I actually got the idea cause I saw a 2015 M6 the last week at night. They use LED low beams for both inner and outer rings and it looked so good. They also have the OEM extrusions so I was drooling over em.

The mini H1's I have are actually equipped with just 35w HIDs. But I think your idea with matchbox projectors would look clean and more uniform too. I just don't know about the size when compared to the h1. It's kinda too small for my liking but I can't be for sure unless I see them in person.

I really wanna try it but I don't know if I risk damaging something with 35w+35w from just the low beam wire. I can't find anyone who's tried it on any car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 05:35 PM   #107
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Good work, but whats the difference than oem angel eyes? i mean, why all this work when oem is already led rings?

I dont get it
My car has halogens and didn't have the OEM angel eyes. And it's kinda expensive to buy the OEM xenon lights that come with angel eyes. I guess I'm wanting the OEM look and save money by doing this retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #108
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVu View Post

Squidlyboy,

Are you going for a QUAD SET UP?!? My Bixenon/hi beam set up is Bright as hell but you are right, it does leave that hole empty.
You can thank beinarcis for that I contacted TRS and they said its do-able, and actually pretty common.

Quote:
hahaha I too am a big form guy. And you know exactly what I'm saying! The light would be SO bright but still focused and not blinding since there's a cutoff. I actually got the idea cause I saw a 2015 M6 the last week at night. They use LED low beams for both inner and outer rings and it looked so good. They also have the OEM extrusions so I was drooling over em.

The mini H1's I have are actually equipped with just 35w HIDs. But I think your idea with matchbox projectors would look clean and more uniform too. I just don't know about the size when compared to the h1. It's kinda too small for my liking but I can't be for sure unless I see them in person.

I really wanna try it but I don't know if I risk damaging something with 35w+35w from just the low beam wire. I can't find anyone who's tried it on any car.
TRS said that even with QUAD Matchbox's ...the output would not be enough. They said its not the 35w that's the problem (most of the HIDs they sell are all 35w and it throws out PLENTY of light ~3200 lumens) - its the size, diameter, and shape of the Matchbox projector that causes the light output to be lacking... so... its back to the H1s. They said H1's will work fine with BMW F30's but that you have to cut a bigger hole in the reflectors to get them ALL the way back. But that they will fit and you can get them flush (easily). I guess you know since you did it on yours...

Here's the cool thing: they said you can easily use your low-beam wiring to power dual bi-xenons (quad H1's @35w) and the power/wattage consumption is not an issue. They said the low-beam 55w wiring capacity is irrelevant because they have a special wiring splitter/harness that is meant for quad retrofits. Your low-beam wiring would only be used as a "signal" to activate two relays, which ultimately would be responsible for powering the dual bi-Xenons.

So in this quad configuration...

low-beams -> activates all four xenon projectors (dual bi-xenons) in both the low and high beam reflectors. Solenoids off/shutters down.
high-beams -> activates all solenoids/shutters to produce an ungodly amount of light

Of course you know having quad xenon lights is completely for aesthetics, and the insane amount of light produced is completely un-necessary, redundant, wasteful and is to only to stoke the ego ... and turn heads how sweet it is .. lolz

if you head over to hidplanet.com and search on 'quad retrofit' you'll see a bunch of people who have done it. Its somewhat controversial just because of the amount of light produced, the difficulty in getting the cut-offs to align in both sets of housings (i.e. low-beams and high-beams apparently have different optimal adjustment angles), and using different projectors/lights in low vs high to make up for shortcomings in the other.

Last edited by squidlyboy; 04-20-2015 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #109
CharlieVu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i x-drive Melbourn RED

You're right. They are VERY common. Before I got the f30, I almost bought a quad setup for my civic si, the dude that is known for his retrofits, knew of a way to get oem headlights, parts and bulbs for $460 shipped. He was making some $$$ so happy I didn't buy them because I would have never sold the car lol! You should do the H1 and match in the other... Just for looks of course. If the headlight didn't give me such a hard time at removing, I would have taken them off and attempted to move mine back as well... I do have a second back up set after all... Hey Bienarcis, how easy was it to reheat and take apart with the new sealant?
      04-21-2015, 02:09 AM   #110
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quad Bi-Xenon setup

I wanna do something like this ...
  • Acrylic LED Rings tied to DRL and Parking Lamp signal so that LED rings always on (since one or the other will be on at all times)
  • Low-beam activates all four projectors w/ solenoid/shutter off
  • High-beam activates solenoid/shutter in all four projectors
I almost have my spare halogen headlights open (what a PITA ). I've got Bienarcis acrylic rings, my iJDM LEDs, so i'll need two sets of Morimoto Stage III mini H1 Projector Retrofit kits which includes the Morimoto XB35 Ballasts and H1 XB 5500 Xenon bulbs. And then a bunch of 9006 HD relays and some high/low beam splitter cables for the quad set up should finish it up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1