F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Need help 2016 328i with steering errors out of nowhere
proTUNING Freaks

01-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
prabhurc
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Need help 2016 328i with steering errors out of nowhere

Hi All,

This is my first post and here with a problem facing on my F30 BMW 328I 2016 (35k ODO)

My car started showing some errors out of nowhere. I was not using my car for 2 weeks parked outside in cold weather Texas. Car started fine, but two errors popped up disabling the power steering. The car was very well maintained and taken good care of.

Below are the two errors that pops up: (Yellow steering with exclamation and chasis stabilization light stays in the dasboard)
*Chasis Stabilization : Drive moderately
*Steering: Drive moderately. Increased steering effort required. Consult Service center.

I did some research and found out this could have caused due to a bad battery. It may cause Steering sensors to fail/not operate due to low voltage. My battery age 4 years old and the fact I didin't drive for 2 weeks parked outside in cold weather might have triggered a bad battery.

As per the suggestions from many places I tried replacing the battery by matching the same amp and type. And regsitered the battery with Bimmerlink app. Still the error code kept popping up even if I tried clearing them. All the error codes are related to steering sensors. Also tried disconnecting the battery for sometime before putting it back on, didnt help.

Currenrtly I dont have any warranty and bit scared to take it to a dealership as they may charge 4.5k suggesting to replace the steering rack. I have seen this happening for other folks who has reported the similar issue.

Questions:
1) I am really clueless and appreciate any help on what needs to be done further considering I dont have a warranty and can't spend 4k+.
2) I have seen in some forums that there is an internal counter maintained to keep track how many times the sensor misbehaves due to bad voltage. And for safety reason it may turn off the corresponding module for any further damage. So even when a new battery is replaced, it needs a counter reset/ ELV reset to make the module work again. This is one of the possible cause that I could think of by researching so far. Any thoughts if this is possible and if yes how to perform a counter reset/ELV reset on F30?
3) Based on the error codes listed below, any idea what could have gone wrong. Any diy fixes can be done?
4) Anybody who stays closer(Frisco near Dallas, Texas) can help me by taking a visit or diagnosing the error.
5) Any known shops or mechanic nearby who can help fixing this wihtout ripping off.

Error codes from Bimmer link app:::
Dynamic Stability Control:
*D354EE - Signal error(actual steering angle front axle, ID: AVL_STEA_FTAX) - Invalid
Integrated Chasis Management:
*D01C0C - Message error(actual rack force, ID: AVL_FORC_GRD) - timeout
*D01B26 - Message error ( actual position EPS, ID: AVL_PO_EPS) - timeout
*D019BF - Message error ( actual steering torque driver actuator, ID: AVL_STMOM_DV_ACT) - Timeout
*D016A5 - Message error (display Checkcontrol driving dynamics 02, IDISP_CC_DRDY_02) - timeout
*D015C4 - Message error (Status of electric steering front axle, ID:ST_EST) - timeout
Digital Motor Electornics
*CDA451 - FlexRay, message (actual steering torque driver actuator, 49.0.2): missing
*CDA452 - FlexRay, message (Is power rack, 49.0.2): missing
Allround-View Camera
*CAAC06 - K-CAN ID 302h (ACTUAL steering angle K_CAN) Default error, this is not a TRSVC ECU error
Attached Images

Last edited by prabhurc; 01-13-2021 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #2
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

There was a steering gear recall on earlier models. Since yours is a 2016, I don't know if it applies, but search the forum and you will find the thread on the issue/recall.

Here's one thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1469927

Here's another one: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1566685

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #3
prabhurc
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
There was a steering gear recall on earlier models. Since yours is a 2016, I don't know if it applies, but search the forum and you will find the thread on the issue/recall.

Here's one thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1469927

Here's another one: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1566685
I dont see any recalls for my vin number here(https://my.bmwusa.com/safety-and-emission-recalls), is it still possible the above recall is applicable for me?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 03:00 PM   #4
MicHern7
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

steering

I don't know if this is the problem, but give it a try. I read somewhere that when your battery is disconnected, the info from the sensors in the steering wheel get wipes. So after reconnecting the battery, turn your steering wheel all the way in one direction, and then all the way in the other. This supposedly calibrates the sensors. The car reads the steering wheel position to tell it the positioning of the front wheels, which is used for the stability control.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
prabhurc
Registered
Rep

Update: Fixed by an independant BMW service - Rodent/Rabbit chew off wires

Update : I gave up on my DIY fix later, didn't find any more solutions and also didnt have access to lift the car and inspect further.

Decided to give it a shot by taking to an independant BMW service, found one with good reviews - (ultimate bimmer service, Carrollton, Texas). Brent over there was very helpful, diagnosed it was a rodent/rabbit chewing off the wires. Was charged 350$ to fix it. I was little relieved that didnt have to burn my wallet - 5k to replace the entire steering rack like others ended up.

Also did the regular maintanance like oil change, brake oil flush, cabin & engine air filter change for much cheaper price compared to the dealership. The only complaint I had with them is lack of ability to upload the service records with Carfax.

MicHern7 I tried that earlier with no luck, thanks for the suggestiion.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 03:10 PM   #6
Koria112
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 430d f36

Hello. I have the same problem. can you say exactly where the problem was? thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 11:43 AM   #7
Jasuan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i

I experienced the same problems as well. When the battery tested as bad, I replaced it and tried to reset the codes using Bimmerlink. After seeing your solution prabhurc , I checked the bay to look for chewed wiring. BINGO!

Took it to a dealership and the wiring harness at the power steering was completely chewed off. I am little more south in Texas from you, so it cost me a little south of $400.

Thanks for sharing your solution.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Fredo183.00
      01-04-2024, 12:19 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The lesson here should be don't assume that electrical problems are caused by a bad battery. More than 90% of electrical problems are not battery related, they're wiring related.
Appreciate 0