F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Any fleet management bods?
Vorsteiner
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-13-2018, 04:50 AM   #1
225
Brigadier General
1224
Rep
3,210
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Any fleet management bods?

I am looking to do some work with a fleet management company and have been doing some research. I am particularly interested in current and future business challenges, wltp,tax etc and what IT technical solutions, inovations would help.

Any pointers appreciated.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
Count Bernd Von Ottovorde
Private First Class
Count Bernd Von Ottovorde's Avatar
182
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: Looking
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Munich

iTrader: (0)

Get out of diesel would be my advice. The way taxation is going the residuals will be hammered.
__________________
You might be crazy, but I'm the one eating the French friar Tuck.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 04:46 AM   #3
isleaiw1
Colonel
990
Rep
2,417
Posts

Drives: varies
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Son in law has done fleet management so will ask him when back home. Whole life costs are everything. Move to hybrids giving some fleet managers challenges - drivers want them to keep BIK down but running costs can be higher.

Also remember that a large portion of any fleet can be vans where weight limits, suspension options, load space size and usability can be very important - along with comfort and convenience for drivers who spend hours in them.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
225
Brigadier General
1224
Rep
3,210
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Son in law has done fleet management so will ask him when back home. Whole life costs are everything. Move to hybrids giving some fleet managers challenges - drivers want them to keep BIK down but running costs can be higher.

Also remember that a large portion of any fleet can be vans where weight limits, suspension options, load space size and usability can be very important - along with comfort and convenience for drivers who spend hours in them.
Nice one cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
Wills2
Major General
Wills2's Avatar
United Kingdom
3211
Rep
6,324
Posts

Drives: F80 YMB M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Fleets are dying most businesses want out of them and prefer allowances for obvious reasons.

I don't agree with the move as it moves the financial obligation on to the employee but it's the direction of travel.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 03:19 AM   #6
isleaiw1
Colonel
990
Rep
2,417
Posts

Drives: varies
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Fleets are dying most businesses want out of them and prefer allowances for obvious reasons.

I don't agree with the move as it moves the financial obligation on to the employee but it's the direction of travel.
Still a good few companies with very large fleets - not all fleet management is about private cars. Think BTs is the biggest in total.

My previous employer had a fleet of 800 and 600 or so were cars, and that was increasing. Partly due to growth, partly due to low BIK rates on hybrids attracting people back in and partly because the firm were expecting more people in the office more days - meaning more commute / private miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 05:05 AM   #7
Wills2
Major General
Wills2's Avatar
United Kingdom
3211
Rep
6,324
Posts

Drives: F80 YMB M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Still a good few companies with very large fleets - not all fleet management is about private cars. Think BTs is the biggest in total.

My previous employer had a fleet of 800 and 600 or so were cars, and that was increasing. Partly due to growth, partly due to low BIK rates on hybrids attracting people back in and partly because the firm were expecting more people in the office more days - meaning more commute / private miles.
Still a few left but the company car is going away, the company van isn't but I wouldn't put it past the bean counters to try it on.

I really don't agree with it as large businesses are clearing their balance sheets and dumping the risk onto their employees.

I work for a FTSE 100 business and we have closed the company car scheme to new entrants and you're forced off it when your car comes up for renewal and it's causing hardship for some people.
__________________
F80 M3 YMB/Z4C, Gone F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
225
Brigadier General
1224
Rep
3,210
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

I think the market is moving towards short term business hire/lease and towards usership from ownership so still a role toplay just different.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
teaston
M40d incoming:
teaston's Avatar
United Kingdom
6881
Rep
25,980
Posts

Drives: 335d M Sport Plus
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norfolk 'n' Good

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Fleets are dying most businesses want out of them and prefer allowances for obvious reasons.

I don't agree with the move as it moves the financial obligation on to the employee but it's the direction of travel.
Yep, my bro in law works for Beaverbrooks and they have now switched from buying company cars to giving staff an allowance to get a lease car. It has changed the way staff choose the cars, he was going to get a Mondeo next time to save money but now a 3 Series would be the same or cheaper due to how leases work. Also no need to worry about BIK with this method I believe.
__________________
Current: LCI F30 335d M Sport Plus in BSM/CR
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
Wills2
Major General
Wills2's Avatar
United Kingdom
3211
Rep
6,324
Posts

Drives: F80 YMB M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Yep, my bro in law works for Beaverbrooks and they have now switched from buying company cars to giving staff an allowance to get a lease car. It has changed the way staff choose the cars, he was going to get a Mondeo next time to save money but now a 3 Series would be the same or cheaper due to how leases work. Also no need to worry about BIK with this method I believe.
No BIK as you're taxed on the allowance and renting the car yourself however you also have the debt against you for me if your job needs you to travel day to day on company business and isn't just a perk then you should have the option to have a company car.
__________________
F80 M3 YMB/Z4C, Gone F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #11
teaston
M40d incoming:
teaston's Avatar
United Kingdom
6881
Rep
25,980
Posts

Drives: 335d M Sport Plus
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norfolk 'n' Good

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
No BIK as you're taxed on the allowance and renting the car yourself however you also have the debt against you for me if your job needs you to travel day to day on company business and isn't just a perk then you should have the option to have a company car.
I donít think there is any debt against your name on a lease is there?

They do get all their fuel paid for, including all personal use, so they get a quite a perk.
__________________
Current: LCI F30 335d M Sport Plus in BSM/CR
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
Wills2
Major General
Wills2's Avatar
United Kingdom
3211
Rep
6,324
Posts

Drives: F80 YMB M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I donít think there is any debt against your name on a lease is there?

They do get all their fuel paid for, including all personal use, so they get a quite a perk.
If you sign the paperwork then yes.
__________________
F80 M3 YMB/Z4C, Gone F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #13
teaston
M40d incoming:
teaston's Avatar
United Kingdom
6881
Rep
25,980
Posts

Drives: 335d M Sport Plus
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norfolk 'n' Good

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
If you sign the paperwork then yes.
Strange, I had my 330d on PCH when we got our mortgage and were told that the car didnít count towards our current debt, we just had to declare the monthly payment as outgoings.
__________________
Current: LCI F30 335d M Sport Plus in BSM/CR
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #14
isleaiw1
Colonel
990
Rep
2,417
Posts

Drives: varies
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Strange, I had my 330d on PCH when we got our mortgage and were told that the car didnít count towards our current debt, we just had to declare the monthly payment as outgoings.
The debt in a lease is the commitment under the lease rather than the cost of the car.

The attractiveness of company cars is always down to the tax environment, the govt could make them more attractive overnight by changing the rules. As it stands they are pushing personal financing, but if they want to change how and what we buy they just need to change the rules..

Private fuel seems to be growing in popularity again for non company cars - no scale charge, you just pay 20/40/45% of amount spent as your tax bill.

I am trying to get my car allowance changed to salary so itís pensionable (and bonusable - but itís the pension contribution I want..)
Appreciate 2
teaston6880.50
sahajesh591.00

      09-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #15
Wills2
Major General
Wills2's Avatar
United Kingdom
3211
Rep
6,324
Posts

Drives: F80 YMB M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Strange, I had my 330d on PCH when we got our mortgage and were told that the car didnít count towards our current debt, we just had to declare the monthly payment as outgoings.
Not sure what that has to do with being responsible for the payments on a lease agreement? You sign the lease you're responsible for paying the lease cost over the term.

If you take a lease on a 3+23 agreement at £500 a month your credit file will show a commitment to the balance of that operating lease at the start of £11500 and then reducing from there.

It's an outstanding debt commitment, what your mortgage provider does or doesn't count as part of their affordability test is neither here nor there.
__________________
F80 M3 YMB/Z4C, Gone F10 M5/F31 335d/e92 M3 x 2/F10 520d x 2/997 C2S/e46 M3/e46 320d/SL320/Touareg 3.2V6/Audi allroad 2.7TDi
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
teaston
M40d incoming:
teaston's Avatar
United Kingdom
6881
Rep
25,980
Posts

Drives: 335d M Sport Plus
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norfolk 'n' Good

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Not sure what that has to do with being responsible for the payments on a lease agreement? You sign the lease you're responsible for paying the lease cost over the term.

If you take a lease on a 3+23 agreement at £500 a month your credit file will show a commitment to the balance of that operating lease at the start of £11500 and then reducing from there.

It's an outstanding debt commitment, what your mortgage provider does or doesn't count as part of their affordability test is neither here nor there.
There was definitely nothing on my credit file when I had the lease, I check my credit file regularly.
__________________
Current: LCI F30 335d M Sport Plus in BSM/CR
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST