F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Hesitation and jerky shifting on a cold-start
Extreme Powerhouse

09-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Hesitation and jerky shifting on a cold-start

My N26 engine has 19.5K miles. My car recently started hesitating when accelerating slowly after sitting for an extended period of time along with jerky shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear. The symptoms seem to disappear or is lessened when the car is fully warmed up but noticed yesterday that at 60 MPH, when I take the foot off the accelerator and accelerate again, I can feel the hesitation.

It's been at the dealer for diagnosis and they seem stumped. They said they have contacted BMW regarding a diagnosis and remedy. I assume when the mechanic took a test drive, he must have felt what I was describing otherwise they would not have kept the car and contacted BMW.

There are no CEL or any warning messages on iDrive. Anyone experience something similar? Wonder if there is a leak in the system?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Are sure it's not just normal turbo lag (combined with BMW's mileage obsession)? My MPPK-equipped 335i (F34) does the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep

But it happens at 0 mph slowly accelerating to 15 mph. Turbo lag at that speed range? I've had the car since new 23 months ago and never felt it like this before. Plus I assume something is not right if the dealer is spending the resources and manpower if it was simple turbo lag, but who knows. Maybe they want to milk it for all it's worth while I drive their brand new 2016 x3.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 02:21 AM   #4
Project Elite
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30

My car has a little bit of hesitation and jerkiness in shifting on cold start as well. perfect once warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #5
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep

Finally got the car back after 4 days at the dealer. They reprogrammed the DME after finding fault in the software and issues with VANOS when cold.

Also they found fault with the transmission gear selector switch. Funny thing here is that I have 2TB programmed and when the mechanic replaced the GWS, he ordered the sport trans gear selector switch instead of my original replacement which was part number 61319296896. So now I have 61-31-9-296-898 with a leather base.
Appreciate 2
      10-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsk1610
Finally got the car back after 4 days at the dealer. They reprogrammed the DME after finding fault in the software and issues with VANOS when cold.

Also they found fault with the transmission gear selector switch. Funny thing here is that I have 2TB programmed and when the mechanic replaced the GWS, he ordered the sport trans gear selector switch instead of my original replacement which was part number 61319296896. So now I have 61-31-9-296-898 with a leather base.
Wow that's great I have 2TB coded as well but I'm planning to revert it back to normal before my next service appointment.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
muddygrass
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

Hesitation and jerky shifting on a cold-start

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsk1610 View Post

Hi, I am encountering the same issue as well on my N20 engine. Jerks during upshift from 1st to 2nd when cold but the issue disappears after the engine warms up.

However the dealer claimed they were unable to reproduce it.
Is there a particular description or defect code for this fault or issue ?
Perhaps this can help me point the dealer to the correct direction.

Many thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #8
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

My n20 is horrible about this, almost stalls. Not interested in letting the dealer keeping it for 3 days only to report that they couldn't "reproduce ".Placing it in sport and pushing the gas pedal through the floor board fixes this altogether.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #9
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddygrass View Post
Hi, I am encountering the same issue as well on my N20 engine. Jerks during upshift from 1st to 2nd when cold but the issue disappears after the engine warms up.

However the dealer claimed they were unable to reproduce it.
Is there a particular description or defect code for this fault or issue ?
Perhaps this can help me point the dealer to the correct direction.

Many thanks in advance.
Do you have a piggyback tune in your car? I still experience this from time to time, esp when going down on a indoor parking garage. Seems to be a combination of engine braking, trans not shifting to the next higher gear, and just the right combo catches the car jerking with the shift to the next gear. Like the previous poster said, stomping on the accelerator usually prevents such an occurrence, but it's difficult when exiting a parking garage.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

I also get this in my car. I really think it is the ECU protecting the drive-train during cold starts by limiting torque. Try to go full throttle from a cold start and you will see.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #11
muddygrass
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsk1610 View Post
Do you have a piggyback tune in your car? I still experience this from time to time, esp when going down on a indoor parking garage. Seems to be a combination of engine braking, trans not shifting to the next higher gear, and just the right combo catches the car jerking with the shift to the next gear. Like the previous poster said, stomping on the accelerator usually prevents such an occurrence, but it's difficult when exiting a parking garage.

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback.
Am not sure what is a piggy back tune. But I do not have any modifications on my car.

Yes, I experience the effect when in the parking garage after a cold start and moving in the garage at a slow speed.

Engine appears to be attempting a slow upshift from gear 1 to 2, but does not do it well and it results in a jerk. ( feels a little like a new driver learning manual transmission and releasing the clutch too fast at the last instance )
This effect disappears after the engine warms up.

Interestingly I never had this effect when the car was new, appeared recently after about 15k miles.

Did the fix by dealer solve the problem for your car ?
Was wondering if they have a technical term for the problem or solution ?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #12
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddygrass View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback.
Am not sure what is a piggy back tune. But I do not have any modifications on my car.

Yes, I experience the effect when in the parking garage after a cold start and moving in the garage at a slow speed.

Engine appears to be attempting a slow upshift from gear 1 to 2, but does not do it well and it results in a jerk. ( feels a little like a new driver learning manual transmission and releasing the clutch too fast at the last instance )
This effect disappears after the engine warms up.

Interestingly I never had this effect when the car was new, appeared recently after about 15k miles.

Did the fix by dealer solve the problem for your car ?
Was wondering if they have a technical term for the problem or solution ?
The issues seemed to have been resolved for a while, but when I installed a BMS Stage 1 tune, the issue returned. I didn't notice it either when the vehicle was new but developed at around 20K miles. Not sure if there really is a remedy other than having the dealer play around with it and reflashing the DME and some of the other drive train modules.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 03:54 AM   #13
muddygrass
Registered
Rep

Thanks to all for the feedback.
A little disturbing that this happens after 15k miles and not when new.
In my humble opinion, I suspect the computer must have detected some change in the engine / transmission and instructed a different behavior.

Hope I can find a way to make the dealer see this issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #14
coiedulci
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 ED

Isn't that slippage from 1st to 2nd when starting from a Pause caused by the intentional anti-wear protection implemented by BMW that doesn't lock the TC when is not hot enough ?
I don't recall were i read this, but doesn't make sense 100% because it also occurs even though you are running hot -> Stop Engine -> Start again.
And it does this only on the 1st upshift when you actually press the gas more than 10% and not rolling on ~ 1000 rpm.

I have it on my F30 LCI 2016 320d with ZF8HP50Z and had it on my previous F30 2013 with ZF8HP45.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 05:22 AM   #15
gom33x
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiedulci View Post
Isn't that slippage from 1st to 2nd when starting from a Pause caused by the intentional anti-wear protection implemented by BMW that doesn't lock the TC when is not hot enough ?
I don't recall were i read this, but doesn't make sense 100% because it also occurs even though you are running hot -> Stop Engine -> Start again.
And it does this only on the 1st upshift when you actually press the gas more than 10% and not rolling on ~ 1000 rpm.

I have it on my F30 LCI 2016 320d with ZF8HP50Z and had it on my previous F30 2013 with ZF8HP45.
I have F30 LCI 2016 320d xDrive with ZF8 as well. It happens to have the same problem. At first I thought it was a transfer case but now when I read more it seems it is not the case. It has the same symptoms when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear when cold. Its just like I release the accelerator pedal for a fraction of a second and then continues to accelerate and upshifts. I captured a video of the problem. Look carefully just before shifting to 2nd gear.

Anyone managed to solve the issue or at least diagnosed it correctly?

Link to the video:
Appreciate 0