F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Swap m340 for Tesla model 3 performance??
GetBMWParts

08-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #23
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I would doubtless enjoy the shove of a tesla but I just don't feel any want for one, especially the interior.
Driving a m340i just makes you smile from the minute you start the car. Cold start noise and the sound of the i6 at 7k is hard to beat.
While we still can I'm happy to drive my old dinosaur.
Appreciate 3
JNW13122.00
Sennen1733.50
JR16641146.50
      08-06-2021, 05:20 PM   #24
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
And yet, in the other thread, several of us are praising EVs that you are dissing
Some one asks about Jag and Audi EVs and people bring up Hyundia/Kia. Why would you want a Hyundai/Kia if you can have a Jag??

As I mentioned I don't see people here rushing to buy a Stinger instead of 340i, its nothing to do with EVs. I guess am just a badge snob .
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 06:12 PM   #25
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Some one asks about Jag and Audi EVs and people bring up Hyundia/Kia. Why would you want a Hyundai/Kia if you can have a Jag??

As I mentioned I don't see people here rushing to buy a Stinger instead of 340i, its nothing to do with EVs. I guess am just a badge snob .
Well you had a BMW 3 series and Tesla, both in the top 10 cars sold in the year, so clearly not, you just like common things....

I can remember when BMW, Merc and Jag were upmarket and rare. But in those days Mondeos (or even Cortinas) sold more than any (or even all!) BMWs....

You might be a snob, but its not a car thing!

(PS I own a Mini and an Audi, my daughter has a Merc, son in law has a Merc.... but I'd happily run a Tesla, Kia, Hyundai, Jag, Audi EV as it would be about the BIK benefit and money saving not the car. I've thought of trading the Mini for a Kona EV as my runaround but there is no cash benefit as I own the Mini outright and the Kona is pricey, so it doesnt happen)
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2021, 01:20 AM   #26
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58_f32 View Post
Id leave the tesla shitbox. Bmw quality all the time. If you want a ev shitbox then the i4 m looks ok. Good quality better interior.
Maybe, but I can’t have an i4m now, and this only works as the used car market is so buoyant, so waiting isn’t really an option, plus I lose say 40% of the saving as the i4m is a year away?

Given I’m only considering for the saving, then it becomes a less interesting proposition the longer I wait.

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 01:21 AM   #27
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
I would doubtless enjoy the shove of a tesla but I just don't feel any want for one, especially the interior.
Driving a m340i just makes you smile from the minute you start the car. Cold start noise and the sound of the i6 at 7k is hard to beat.
While we still can I'm happy to drive my old dinosaur.
And that’s the dilemma

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 01:33 AM   #28
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
I had a model 3P last year for a few months before i rejected it… build quality wasnt same level as a bmw - but was ok - similar to the wifes old 16 plate qashqai.

The controls take some getting used to - everything is on the screen, even hvac and speedo… but its ok - did miss the hud and proper steering wheel controls though.

In the end it was the electrical gremlins which they couldnt fix, was a hassle to get fixed as they take the car away with no idea when it will be back - then covid hit and i just rejected it.

But in you instance if its really about money saving then surely its cheaper to keep the allowance and get a cheap DD (i.e not a £650pm pcp )

You dont need to worry so much about NCD as most companies include company car ownership too.
It’s about being able to save £500 whilst being able to have model 3 performance, It’s not about saving £500 on its own.

The car is affordable. It’s whether I can live with the lack of 7k revs, exhaust, sport+ gearbox changes, idrive to gain 3.1s 0-60, zero lag and 6k a year

Plus, if charging is say 15 a month, bik say 25, then what can I buy and insure for £500 a year!? (That is reliable, <5 years old, co2 <170, not a convertible or import)

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 02:07 AM   #29
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
The car is affordable. It’s whether I can live with the lack of 7k revs, exhaust, sport+ gearbox changes, idrive to gain 3.1s 0-60, zero lag and 6k a year
How much would you spend to mod the 340 to get a 3.1s and no lag? Instead of spending ££££ on mods your are getting £6k back....surely a no brainer?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 02:56 AM   #30
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
@Grant_7 moved from a F31 340i to a Model 3 (LR not performance?) and seems very happy with the Tesla on the driving front.
Mattyk

Yes, I went highly specified from new (by me) F31 340i MPPSK to Tesla Model 3 Standard Range + (the cheapo RWD-only one). The reason to do so was cost savings, but not as much as you. In my case, more like £5k over 3 years (worst case).

Do I regret it? Not one bit. If you took the car away and told me I could have either a new M340i or Model 3, I’d pick the Model 3 every time.

Now perhaps I’ve been lucky in that I’ve had no quality issues with mine. Things like shut lines aren’t as good as the BMW, but I have no rattles after 18 months and have had no electrical gremlins either.

I absolutely love the EV power train. I was very concerned about the lack of noise, but you miss it less than you think (and I’m very much an engine man). And, noise aside, it pisses all over the B58 for response and refinement. Before getting the Tesla, I scoffed at these EV ‘shitboxes’, but having run one for 18 months I wouldn’t go back to ICE.

Oh, and it handles better than my F31 too.

Finally, you’ll be blown away by the performance. It will absolutely destroy your M340i (my ‘slowest Tesla they make’ SR+ is easily a match for my MPPSK 340i up to 80mph).
Appreciate 3
JNW13122.00
73henny501.00
      08-07-2021, 05:30 AM   #31
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

What fragile little egos some people have. Why is it that if someone considers a product that isn't your preference, that product must by definition be shit in order for you to feel good about your own choices? Or better still, let's have exclusive ICE and EV tribes, where one group are dinosaurs and the other is populated by tree-huggers, who can despise each other for all eternity. What a bore.

Appreciate 3
DaveA1870.50
      08-07-2021, 05:37 AM   #32
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Some comments lifted from an interview with Martin Brundle in EVO which strike a chord with me:

"I’m not at all sure what the future holds for the motor car. Obviously there’ll be more electric vehicles, but I wish that some of the immense development costs of EV had gone into biofuels and internal combustion engines as I would love to see where they would be by now.

For me, every great car or bike is first and foremost about its engine, and so that leaves me slightly in trouble with EVs, I guess. My iPhone battery annoys me enough and so I’m not interested in range and charging-point anxiety for my car.

When there’s a credible pan-European charging network and 500-mile real-world range then I’ll look at an EV, but dragging batteries around that weigh more than my first F1 car is not appealing so far".

But in saying that I acknowledge the way things are going and accept the ICE is almost certainly on its way out. I can't say I'm really a fan of the Tesla but as and when the likes of BMW are producing an EV equivalent I guess that's where I'll go next....
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      08-07-2021, 06:00 AM   #33
jenshb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport

Speaking of batteries - they have a finite life where the capacity to hold the charge drops below what is considered acceptable to give a decent range. Tesla have 8 year's warranty I believe that the battery will hold 80% charge. Other OEMs may include mileages - there was one case in Norway recently where a Kia owner had exceeded the 150k km warranty for the battery, and the range of the vehicle was now half of what it should be when new. Cost to replace the battery far exceeded the value of the car. Now, if you're leasing the car or purchasing on PCP so you can turn the car in for a new one in a few years time, you don't have to worry about trivia like that, but how many would actually purchase an EV outright - especially a second hand purchase - knowing that the battery will be next to useless in a few years and then replaced at great cost? Who would buy a petrol or diesel car for example if they were told that they would need to replace the engine in 8 years time?
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      08-07-2021, 07:06 AM   #34
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

If possible, maybe consider looking at the merc EQ range. These look to have very nice interiors, I'd certainly consider one if I was in a company car scheme.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #35
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

If missing noise is an issue, buy something older and noisy! (As well as the Tesla)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #36
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep
Drives: tesla model 3 performance

I went from a 335d to model 3 performance, I've had it 6 weeks now and done 2500 miles in it, no regrets what so ever. Mine was one of the first batch of performances off the boat built in China, I am used to German build quality and the Tesla is perfect, my biggest concern was build quality after reading U.S built delivery experiences on Tesla forums. It looks like they have finally sorted the build quality issues with the China built ones now.
Attached Images

Past - Mini Cooper S 7 5 door, BMW 120d m sport, Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 turbo, Mazda RX8 231, Mini Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 04:39 PM   #37
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks all for the input

I will keep you posted ....

1sti have to fit the replacement splitter after peeling it off on a poorly constructed temporary footpath crossing on the new build estate we’re on. Thank god it wasn’t betalink’d on!

New one is sat in the garage waiting for the weather to change, I could use the garage I suppose, but having only had one 6 months I’m not used to using it lol

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 06:41 AM   #38
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
What fragile little egos some people have. Why is it that if someone considers a product that isn't your preference, that product must by definition be shit in order for you to feel good about your own choices? Or better still, let's have exclusive ICE and EV tribes, where one group are dinosaurs and the other is populated by tree-huggers, who can despise each other for all eternity. What a bore.
Isn't that, like, just what life is like as a whole, nowadays...??

I agree, what a bore it all is... Being encouraged to one extreme or the other when the reality is that most of us would be more in the middle, or maybe slighter more to one side, on most issues...

What's worse if the current trend to brand folk who do not believe in your views as somehow unpatriotic, or destructive, or somehow bad... which is bullying them to change their minds by peer pressure...

Back to the topic at hand, I am sure that, if I were able to, I would have both an EV and an ICE car at the moment, for different purposes, times and needs...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 3
mcoops1757.00
stefan41083.50
      08-08-2021, 06:49 AM   #39
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Some comments lifted from an interview with Martin Brundle in EVO which strike a chord with me:

"I'm not at all sure what the future holds for the motor car. Obviously there'll be more electric vehicles, but I wish that some of the immense development costs of EV had gone into biofuels and internal combustion engines as I would love to see where they would be by now.

For me, every great car or bike is first and foremost about its engine, and so that leaves me slightly in trouble with EVs, I guess. My iPhone battery annoys me enough and so I'm not interested in range and charging-point anxiety for my car.

When there's a credible pan-European charging network and 500-mile real-world range then I'll look at an EV, but dragging batteries around that weigh more than my first F1 car is not appealing so far".

But in saying that I acknowledge the way things are going and accept the ICE is almost certainly on its way out. I can't say I'm really a fan of the Tesla but as and when the likes of BMW are producing an EV equivalent I guess that's where I'll go next....
I have always liked MB and his thoughts here seem to accord much with my own... Having no access to home charging, my views on EV's are massively influenced by that... and until such time as that can be addressed, in such a way as I am not paying any more than somebody who is home charging, then there are financial and logistical penalties for me that I cannot yet overcome...

Also, for many parts of the world, EV's are not the answer and I agree with him that we should not abandon the development of ICE engines just yet... Look how more efficient we have made them in the last 20 years and imagine how much more we can do...

I mentioned this earlier, though... in order to be more economical, we do need to move away from the larger, heavier vehicles so beloved today...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 06:51 AM   #40
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:

"I’m not at all sure what the future holds for the motor car. Obviously there’ll be more electric vehicles, but I wish that some of the immense development costs of EV had gone into biofuels and internal combustion engines as I would love to see where they would be by now.

For me, every great car or bike is first and foremost about its engine, and so that leaves me slightly in trouble with EVs, I guess. My iPhone battery annoys me enough and so I’m not interested in range and charging-point anxiety for my car.

When there’s a credible pan-European charging network and 500-mile real-world range then I’ll look at an EV, but dragging batteries around that weigh more than my first F1 car is not appealing so far".

This is eaxctly how i feel about the EV situation and I dont think I am alone.

Has anyone actually bought a 'Shit Box' with their own money on here or are they all company cars?

My betting is very few at this juncture in EV development would spend their own '40K plus hard earned' on one and would end up getting somenthing a bit more interesting and characterful instead
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 07:22 AM   #41
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

I'm self-employed, so any purchase is definitely "my own money".
I have bought a "shitbox" Model 3, and will buy another EV when the time comes again, as it outperforms every BMW & Merc I have ever owned, costs less, and - most importantly - I really enjoy driving again!
Appreciate 3
DaveA1870.50
      08-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #42
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Quote:

Has anyone actually bought a 'Shit Box' with their own money on here or are they all company cars?

My betting is very few at this juncture in EV development would spend their own '40K plus hard earned' on one and would end up getting somenthing a bit more interesting and characterful instead
I'm sure this forum over indexes on those with the means and inclination to run something sporty, whatever your personal definition of that might be. Perhaps we lag the general population in that respect. Not sure you can generalise on that basis. Isn't it just a fact that EVs are growing as a proportion of new registrations, 15%ish now IIRC? Only going one way, presumably.

There are quite a few EV owners on here now, which there were not even a couple of years ago. And BMW's offering is not accessible or necessary to many. I am very open to a plug in of some description when we next change, and like DaveA the most likely scenario is one ICE for family duties and an smaller EV or PHEV for shorter trips and my now less frequent commute. Or perhaps the other way around if the family wagon was doing lots of local trips too. For the smaller car, I'd be open to a wider range of manufacturers. It would still have to have some poke though :-)

Appreciate 2
DaveA1870.50
      08-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #43
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Have to say that referring to any modern vehicle, whatever manufacturer and motive power, as a "shitbox" just suggests to me that a person's terms of reference might need to be rethought...

I mean, I get that something may not be to your personal taste and/or that you might be able to afford something different, but all vehicles will serve their purpose these days in reliable and cost-effective ways that, even 20 years ago, were not achievable...

There are many, many folk who, in their whole lives, will never be able to afford a brand new car... These folk aspire to the things others casually refer to as "shit boxes"...

.. and that is not even taking into account that many of the EV's people are actually talking about on here are luxury vehicles...

ps - in many respects, I actually think many EV's are actually more interesting and characterful than many more traditional vehicles... I am pretty sure that I would be considering one if I could resolve the home-charging restrictions that I have...

Last edited by DaveA; 08-08-2021 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
mcoops1757.00
      08-08-2021, 10:30 AM   #44
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:

If its your own company, is there a difference? Someone on here bought a well specced Taycan with their own (company) money....

and of course ganzoom works in health so no company cars, is his own hard earned...

so that's 2 straight off. There are definitely a few on my estate that are personally funded and not company cars.

Not everyone thinks ICE is interesting, some think it is the past, and that EV is interesting.
Appreciate 0