F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > car feels quicker in sport vs sport+?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-26-2021, 06:02 PM   #1
im_an_alien
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

car feels quicker in sport vs sport+?

According to my butt dyno, the car consistently pulls harder in sport than sport+. I have my sport configured to chassis only to stiffen the dampers and steering so essentially in sport mode the engine is in comfort mode. Running MHD stage one 93oct. Did some searching and I'm not the only one feeling it.
I know the throttle is not linear in plus mode, maybe that's contributing to it. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 09:09 PM   #2
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
According to my butt dyno, the car consistently pulls harder in sport than sport+. I have my sport configured to chassis only to stiffen the dampers and steering so essentially in sport mode the engine is in comfort mode. Running MHD stage one 93oct. Did some searching and I'm not the only one feeling it.
I know the throttle is not linear in plus mode, maybe that's contributing to it. Thoughts?
I feel the same thing with my lowly 328i. I've got my sport mode mapped to comfort too and it definitely feels faster than it does in Sport +.

I'm not expert, you asked for thoughts and I have one. The torque curve on the 340 starts to drop like a rock right after 5,000 RPM while the horsepower flattens out at that same RPM. My unscientific thought is you may be feeling the drop in torque since in Sport + you are spending much more time above 5,000 RPM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #3
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
I think you’re both on point. The turbo’s power curve is fat and relatively low. Gives it a good around town feel. In comfort mode, the revs are kept in this fat powerband as much as possible. Sport lets it wind out a bit, but still keeps things in the curve unless you’ve been winding it out recently. Sport+ seems to assume the car will be full out any second and is very reluctant to upshift, and lets the engine (B48 anyway) wind all the way to 7000 rpms. In these ranges, unless you’re giving the throttle enough air for the turbo to fill the sails, it doesn’t feel that gutsy.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 11:56 PM   #4
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

the only difference between sport and sport + is + turns traction control off. has nothing to do with engine performance. It might feel quicker because your car is gripping better in regular sport mode
Appreciate 1
mbanks211267.50
      04-27-2021, 12:08 AM   #5
im_an_alien
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
the only difference between sport and sport + is + turns traction control off. has nothing to do with engine performance. It might feel quicker because your car is gripping better in regular sport mode
I'm aware of this, which is why I'm surprised it feels quicker
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 02:25 AM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
That's not true at all!
There are a number of differences between Sport and Sport+, at least for 40i / FCI. Sport+ there is more aggressive.

This is for the older generation:

There was another table for the 40i/FCI, I believe in German, which I can't find right now. It was visible there that Sport+ has more aggressive throttle response in addition to the above.

What I have noticed which is inconsistent with the above is that manual shifting for me feels definitely slower than DS. In any mode....
      04-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #7
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I'm surprised you leave the throttle in comfort mode and are happy with it.

I've found the throttle response to me far better in sport mode and it really makes the car more responsive and accelerates quicker due to needing less pedal input for the same level of acceleration. I've noticed loosing 1~2 seconds on an autocross course simply because I left it in comfort and not Sport/Sport +

I'd do my daily commute most days in comfort because there are no opportunities to enjoy the benefits sport/sport+ offer, but when I do go into those modes I want the car to be fully alert. Comfort is rather sleepy...like I am when I drive to work.
      04-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #8
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

I've found the throttle response to me far better in sport mode and it really makes the car more responsive and accelerates quicker due to needing less pedal input for the same level of acceleration. I've noticed loosing 1~2 seconds on an autocross course simply because I left it in comfort and not Sport/Sport +

I'd do my daily commute most days in comfort because there are no opportunities to enjoy the benefits sport/sport+ offer, but when I do go into those modes I want the car to be fully alert. Comfort is rather sleepy...like I am when I drive to work.
I like the comfort mode for day to day use, that's what it's in probably 95% of the time. I prefer the lower shift points for mundane use.

Throw some curves and harder stabs on the pedal into it, sport/sport+ is vastly preferred...

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #9
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I may be one of the few who appreciates the pros and cons of ALL available modes. And by all, I mean even EcoPro. Works perfectly fine for me when cruising on a long-haul. It doesn't hamper my driving at all, even makes it easier if I want to drive in a way which will not wake sleeping people in the car or make cat throw up... and whilst I do that anyway - why not save some fuel as well

And also - after a few hours in EcoPro - Comfort feels like a real sports car

I do 80% of my driving in Comfort, 10% Eco Pro, 10% Sport / Sport+
CajunBMW1288.50
      04-27-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
im_an_alien
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

I set my sport mode to chassis only because for daily driving I just want the dampers and steering sharpened. Also the linear throttle response is more favorable for in town driving (6MT). When the opportunity arises I go to sport plus or change sport settings to engine and chassis.
Speaking of which, what configuration are y'all using for sport mode, engine only, chassis only or both.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #11
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I set my sport mode to chassis only because for daily driving I just want the dampers and steering sharpened. Also the linear throttle response is more favorable for in town driving (6MT). When the opportunity arises I go to sport plus or change sport settings to engine and chassis.
Speaking of which, what configuration are y'all using for sport mode, engine only, chassis only or both.
I use both. If I used sport mode for daily driving I'd probably want to dial some of it back a little.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:40 AM   #12
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I use both as well. Tried with either disabled, did not see a use for such a configuration. Comfort works great for me. Anything above that is for sporty driving, so Sport with all settings enabled is great. I lately tend to experiment more with Sport + as well.
      04-27-2021, 09:42 AM   #13
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
That's not true at all!
There are a number of differences between Sport and Sport+, at least for 40i / FCI. Sport+ there is more aggressive.

There was another table for the 40i/FCI, I believe in German, which I can't find right now. It was visible there that Sport+ has more aggressive throttle response in addition to the above.

What I have noticed which is inconsistent with the above is that manual shifting for me feels definitely slower than DS. In any mode....
It doesn't change the engine performance though. The "sensitive" throttle (aka aggressive) is just a change from a linear response to a log type response from the pedal. Doesn't change power or delivery, just makes you feel like it reacts faster.

If you plant the gas, same engine, same torque, same power.

Now, in sport+, DSC turns off so if you are encountering situations of slight wheel spin, you won't get a throttle cut, you will get wheel spin. With BM3 S2 + xHP it's VERY noticeable on my xDrive from Sport to Sport+ during gear changes.
Appreciate 1
mbanks211267.50
      04-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #14
joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Until last weekend I used to think traction control was the only difference between Sport and Sport+ in the 340i.....boy was a wrong! My perception of the car has completely changed for the better. On the highway Sport+ drops a gear when switching from Sport and rarely needs to downshift when passing aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #15
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesid View Post
Until last weekend I used to think traction control was the only difference between Sport and Sport+ in the 340i.....boy was a wrong! My perception of the car has completely changed for the better. On the highway Sport+ drops a gear when switching from Sport and rarely needs to downshift when passing aggressively.
You could just run "manual mode" and leave it in 7th gear, which is the same deal any drive mode.
Appreciate 1
joesid80.00
      04-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #16
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Quote:
That's not true at all!

It doesn't change the engine performance though. The "sensitive" throttle (aka aggressive) is just a change from a linear response to a log type response from the pedal. Doesn't change power or delivery, just makes you feel like it reacts faster.

If you plant the gas, same engine, same torque, same power.

Now, in sport+, DSC turns off so if you are encountering situations of slight wheel spin, you won't get a throttle cut, you will get wheel spin. With BM3 S2 + xHP it's VERY noticeable on my xDrive from Sport to Sport+ during gear changes.
That's all true of course. The engine power output is not limited in any way in comfort.
It is limited in EcoPro though, unless you use kick-down
      04-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #17
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't alter the configurations in the modes. Sport/Sport+ is everything on full attack for me when I drive in that mode.

Even though I have the 6MT, I actually like the throttle responsiveness in Sport. it isn't very linear, but I do like the fact it is more responsive and responds quicker to inputs. Comfort seems a little sluggish, even though it is perfectly acceptable for daily driving needs...most of the time.

Ideally, I'd like to either have the ability to independently set the steering, throttle, and suspension all the time, or be able to set up a bunch of different pre-set profiles with different combination of settings depending on what I'm doing. Like Skyhigh mentioned, each setting has it's place, I'd just like to change up a couple configurations vs being stuck with what BMW gave us.
      04-27-2021, 04:41 PM   #18
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

One other benefit of eco mode - use it when your teen driver is learning to drive. I called it "nanny mode". When my teen was learning I would take her out and we would practice. Momma had no patience so it fell on me to take her out. First time she floored my 340 and we hit the road like a bat out of hell, I knew I needed to tame the car until she had better control. Two years later we are all good. She is a good driver. I bought a used X1 for us for her to drive or as she tells her friends "Mom and Dad bought this for me"!!! . It is also good since the X1 is an x drive - so I can keep my summer tires on year round and only park it when we have the few undrivable colds days a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 05:29 PM   #19
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That's all true of course. The engine power output is not limited in any way in comfort.
I'm willing to bet that full throttle in any mode will output the same power. You might have lazier shifts, but nothing that the "normal" person would be able to perceive.

But heh, post some trap times proving otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 12:50 AM   #20
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Quote:
I'm willing to bet that full throttle in any mode will output the same power. You might have lazier shifts, but nothing that the "normal" person would be able to perceive.

But heh, post some trap times proving otherwise.
Again - not in EcoPro (unless you press kick-down). Try it yourself. There is 0 doubt
      04-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #21
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Again - not in EcoPro (unless you press kick-down). Try it yourself. There is 0 doubt
Less power, or just keeps the car in a higher gear so it's lugging? In 4th on the highway I get the same boost from all modes. Cannot comment on lower gears though.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #22
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Definitely limiting power!!