F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Wing mirrors....automatic?
ARMA SPEED

05-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
BMW_newbie
Rep
Drives: 3 Series F30 328i Luxury

Wing mirrors....automatic?

Hi all. Does anyone know if the wing mirrors fold in automatically ? I have the blind spot warning option and there is a button to press on the drivers door arm rest console. However, I was told that these fold in automatically when you turn the engine off and lock the car. Is there a setting I am missing?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_newbie
Hi all. Does anyone know if the wing mirrors fold in automatically ? I have the blind spot warning option and there is a button to press on the drivers door arm rest console. However, I was told that these fold in automatically when you turn the engine off and lock the car. Is there a setting I am missing?
Hi. Provided that you have the optional folding mirrors you can either:

1. Press the button on the armrest to manually fold them in. You will need to press it again when you want them to open or the car will do it for you once you exceed about 15/20 mph.

2. When you lock the car hold down the remote locking button for a few seconds and they will fold in. The difference here is that they will unfold automatically when you unlock the car (rather than you having to press the unfold button in the armrest).

I don't think you can program them to fold in automatically on locking the vehicle, you have to keep the button depressed for a few seconds.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post

1. Press the button on the armrest to manually fold them in. You will need to press it again when you want them to open or the car will do it for you once you exceed about 15/20 mph.

2. When you lock the car hold down the remote locking button for a few seconds and they will fold in. The difference here is that they will unfold automatically when you unlock the car (rather than you having to press the unfold button in the armrest).

I don't think you can program them to fold in automatically on locking the vehicle, you have to keep the button depressed for a few seconds.

Thanks, that was very helpful. I was wondering the same thing for my F30. My Porsche allows me to program it so that whenever I lock it, the mirrors fold in. However, holding the button is just as easy.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

Yet another feature I didn't know I had on my F30 328i. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:

Oooh really? I didn't know that! Another for my soon to be F30! Does this work on the E90? Nah, right? I suppose you wouldn't know would you coming from an Audi but anybody else? All I know is that the windows go down when the unlock is held and the windows go up when the lock is held

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

The windows open & close too if you depress the lock/unlock buttons! Sweet.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

LOL

So let me get this straight:

If I hold down the LOCK button, my side mirrors fold in? If I hold down the UNLOCK button, the windows roll down?
      05-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
LOL

So let me get this straight:

If I hold down the LOCK button, my side mirrors fold in? If I hold down the UNLOCK button, the windows roll down?
Assuming it even works on Canadian spec cars. Lock button doesn't close windows in our case, for example.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:

No2 doesn't work on US cars unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
Frankisme
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959
Quote:

No2 doesn't work on US cars unfortunately.
Windows go down using the Unlock key on the Fob. They do not go up with the lock key nor do the mirrors fold on my US spec 328.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry guys. These transatlantic variations are really annoying. I am guessing they are driven by regulations more than anything else. The underlying mechanics are the same, so it's presumably just software.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

So US cars don't have the folding mirrors?

The reasoning must be for perceived lack of popularity? Or perhaps saving it for LCI? It's definitely not cos of regulations. I've seen many BMWs that have the folding mirror option.

This is an actual useful hack I'd be willing to do!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
So US cars don't have the folding mirrors?

The reasoning must be for perceived lack of popularity? Or perhaps saving it for LCI? It's definitely not cos of regulations. I've seen many BMWs that have the folding mirror option.

This is an actual useful hack I'd be willing to do!
US cars have the folding mirrors (part of Premium Pack) but they work from the switch inside, not from holding down lock button on the keyfob.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #14
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankisme View Post
Windows go down using the Unlock key on the Fob. They do not go up with the lock key nor do the mirrors fold on my US spec 328.
Are you saying the mirrors don't fold at all on your car or that they don't fold if you use option #2 given by PrinceBarin?

If it's the first, then I can tell you my 328i does fold it's mirrors whenever I press the button on my armrest. The given #2 option does, however, not work (I just went out to check on this lol). Seeing how I have every available option on my car, I think it's safe to say this doesn't work on US spec'd cars

(btw, regarding the windows, that's an old feature really (like many of the other features mentioned in other topics), I also had this on my '09 X5 which rolled down the windows but didn't roll them up again (I'm guessing this is a safety feature because if you do not see your car, roll up your windows and a child had its neck in your car, you might have some unwanted 'cleaning' to do...))

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

comes w the premium package, u just can't use the remote to fold it in.
      05-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The underlying mechanics are the same, so it's presumably just software.
If this is true, then I wonder if that DVD unlocker (to watch DVD and drive at the same time) will also solve this problem. I believe they said on their site it will open up all kinds of software blocked stuff

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
_BMWnEwBiE_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
If this is true, then I wonder if that DVD unlocker (to watch DVD and drive at the same time) will also solve this problem. I believe they said on their site it will open up all kinds of software blocked stuff
which side are you talking about i would like to watch it but sounds like they are software issues. I can see the window being safety issue but mirrors since parking is always problem in europe and not much in america they do not bother to put it on here i guess but still it doesn't make sense more you use it more change it can be broken so they can fix it hmmmm doesn't make sense at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
dmontic71
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry guys. These transatlantic variations are really annoying. I am guessing they are driven by regulations more than anything else. The underlying mechanics are the same, so it's presumably just software.
It makes you wonder how much cost is added by having a million variations of the same car. Different sized rims, different badging, different packaging of essentially same options, etc. I mean, do us Yanks really consume more beverages in our cars to the point that we are blamed for the cupholder frenzy?

I have to say, I feel like I learn a lot on this forum about different cultures (as it relates to cars anyway)!
      05-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #19
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Patience. Eventually, F30 will be able to be coded just like E90. These are all very simple options to change on the E90 and the process should be similar for F30.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #20
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _BMWnEwBiE_ View Post
which side are you talking about i would like to watch it but sounds like they are software issues. I can see the window being safety issue but mirrors since parking is always problem in europe and not much in america they do not bother to put it on here i guess but still it doesn't make sense more you use it more change it can be broken so they can fix it hmmmm doesn't make sense at all.
http://www.dvdinmotion.com/ ..I also had a topic about it here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670237

From their FAQ:

Code:
Q: Does it work for TV as well? I have TV installed in my car.
A: Yes. All functions of which your car is capable are unlocked. That means TV, DVD and even the Video AUX input (for iPhone/iPod video) if it is present in your vehicle configuration. However, your car doesn't need a TV tuner installed to unlock the DVD function.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #21
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmontic71 View Post
I mean, do us Yanks really consume more beverages in our cars to the point that we are blamed for the cupholder frenzy?
Compared to Europeans? Seeing how different things are over here compared to there (I'm Dutch, now living in the US), I'm guessing yes. I frequently drink in my car over here, but I hardly did it in Europe. Distances are, for most people there, a lot shorter to drive and they have less need to actually eat and drink inside their cars

Most of them don't give a darn about the cup holders, plus add to the fact that you are unable to get several sizes of drinks over there that you can get here (seriously, the sizes of some cups here are humongous compared to what they have there) and it is easy to blame the US for this

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #22
_BMWnEwBiE_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
http://www.dvdinmotion.com/ ..I also had a topic about it here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670237

From their FAQ:

Code:
Q: Does it work for TV as well? I have TV installed in my car.
A: Yes. All functions of which your car is capable are unlocked. That means TV, DVD and even the Video AUX input (for iPhone/iPod video) if it is present in your vehicle configuration. However, your car doesn't need a TV tuner installed to unlock the DVD function.
So are you going to try this Svache i don't have my car yet but i may considered when i get it. Right now on my after market panasonic i put a relay to watch it while driving so my kids can watch they love it. Just give us an update if you ever do it.
Appreciate 0