F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Stock (mostly) F31 328xi Station Wagon on the Track - WOW!
Studio RSR

03-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #23
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Updated with high res images of the car on the track, the M brake kit just looks sexy.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #24
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Awesome thread. If I decide not to keep the M3 I may go back to a wagon, I don't track much anyway.

I wish BMW would make a M335xi wagon, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #25
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genericuser1 View Post
Awesome thread. If I decide not to keep the M3 I may go back to a wagon, I don't track much anyway.

I wish BMW would make a M335xi wagon, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Agreed. In fact, if you notice, on this forum a large percentage of US wagon owners bought the M-Sport version. I bet most of them would have gone for the 335 version if it was an option for US customers.
The thing is, we here do not reflect the real US market. We are a very small percentage of BMW enthusiast nut cases.

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #26
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
The thing is, we here do not reflect the real US market. We are a very small percentage of BMW enthusiast nut cases.
I agree, the rest of the US can just not understand the perfectness that is a fast wagon.

/beginrant
If you want sexy by a convertible

If you want race car buy a coupe

If you want utility buy a large SUV/Truck

If you want anything else buy a wagon

The only reason to buy a sedan IMO is because a wagon or hatch isn't available and there is a modicum more utility than a coupe. However if you are not going to track it then you should buy a convertible (owns m3 convertible, doesn't track usually).

Just think how could the new Mustang be better? If it was a wagon. How could the C7 be better? wagon, New M3/M4, you guessed it wagon.

/endrant
Appreciate 2
saaltonen105.00
      03-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #27
shag
pullin a boat
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
No, because I'm just addicted to revs. The 328d would be the better choice if I never intended to do stuff like this. But I do
Wow! Love your 1st post.

A slightly tuned 328d might be fun on the track - even moreso on an autox track

2021 X3 M40i, Phytonic/Cognac
Past:
2017 330i xDrive Touring M Sport, EBII, Dinan
2014 328d xDrive Touring M Sport, BSM/CR.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #28
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update Edit:
I recently took the wagon back to the track. Still on the runflats but I bought some used rims and tires while I was there, one set for the M3 and the other for the Wagon. 8 wheels and tires, I just threw them in the back, no problem. Other people at the track that had to bring trucks and trailers to haul their spares and tools were looking on in envy - The wagon truly does everything.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #29
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Quote:
Impressive, the wheels fits perfect!
: )
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #30
cptdaz
Rep
Drives: it's shiny

Nice, I didn't realize the bmw app is so capable. It's free too. I'm liking bmw more and more. I have to pay a grand for a similar capability on my bike or benz.

Quote:
Update Edit:
I recently took the wagon back to the track. Still on the runflats but I bought some used rims and tires while I was there, one set for the M3 and the other for the Wagon. 8 wheels and tires, I just threw them in the back, no problem. Other people at the track that had to bring trucks and trailers to haul their spares and tools were looking on in envy - The wagon truly does everything.
Damn, I didn't realize you can fit that much crap back there. Awesome man.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #31
djafactor
MINI Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 89 M3, 1M, e30 touring

Nice post. We are picking ours up tomorrow Black on Red, M-Sport, Premium pkg. My wife and I were pretty bummed out about the lack of manual transmission option but with really no other options out there we decided to go for it. Good to hear they are so capable and fun.

cheers
      09-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #32
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

I haven't tracked a car in a long time, but I'm about to place my F31 order any day now since we just had a baby. Now I'm thinking that I may have to bring the new car to the track to wring her out!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #33
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero

I took my '14 328xiT F31 Wagon to Summit Point Raceway this last weekend for the NCC BMW CCA HPDE. I normally would take my M3 but decided I wanted to see how the Wagon would do. You can imagine the initial conversation when I met up with my instructor...

(I'm standing in front of the wagon)
Instructor (looking around): "So... Where's your car?"
Me: "I'm driving this sexy beast!"
Instructor: "A station wagon? ok... What's it got, straight 6, V8?"
Me: "4 cylinder. 2 liter."
Instructor: "Oh... Manual?"
Me: "Automatic. 8 speed."
Instructor (disgusted and confused face): "ok... Rear wheel drive?"
Me: "All-wheel, xdrive."
Instructor: "Alright, well, what kinda tires are you running, PS2s?"
Me: "Runflats."
Instructor: "My God, do you at least have track pads on?"
Me: "Actually... no, street pads"
Instructor: "Did you take the groceries out before you came here?"
Me: "I just took out the baby seat!"
Instructor: "haha, ok, well I guess you run what you brung."

So the car is bone stock except for the BMS piggy-back tune. The tune is set to its most conservative 91 octane setting, so it's better than the stock 87 octane tuning but nothing crazy. Neither of us knew what to expect but WOW, it's insanely good!

Now if you've never been to a BMWCCA HPDE, they have 4 classes, D, C, B, A. D being beginners and A being well experienced. I'm in IA which is Instructor Academy, training to become an instructor and they mix with A students and Instructors only on the track. So everyone out there with me is pretty good with many years of track time behind them. I've personally driven this track in my '07 M Coupe, e92 M3, and heavily modded 95 M3.

I was consistently able to pass stock e46 M3s and was able to drive toe-to-toe with track prepped(stripped, caged, and heavily modded) e36 M3s. I consistently passed a heavily modded 135is but the driver wasn't very good so I can't count that. The only cars that could pass me were e92 M3s and a Porsche 911. The e92 M3, which was driven pretty well, was only pulling away by about 3-5 seconds each lap which made me feel great!

Attached are my M Laptimer screen shots. The forum won't let me attach the actual M laptimer data so message me and I can email it to you. You can download the app and import it to your iphone. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bmw-...684370062?mt=8

My best lap was a 1:32.5. Again, this is Summit Point Main. If anyone has M Laptimer data from that course, please send me a copy so I have something to compare to! Also, note that windows are always down on the track, that's a requirement. So at 120MPH on the main straight, there's a lot of drag on everyone's car.

The Good: The car is extremely well balanced, it doesn't understeer and has enough bias to the rear that I can rotate the car when needed. The Manual mode with paddle shifters works very well - but 8 gears is A LOT to keep track of. I wish the current gear number could be displayed on the HUD along with RPMs. The sport suspension is pretty good, even on xdrive. Turbo lag is hardly noticeable in manual Sport + mode.

The Bad: Since the car is on street pads, I couldn't brake at 10/10ths because they would fade after one lap. Instead I drove between 7/10 - 9/10ths as you can see in the M laptimer data. Runflats suck. They've gotten better but they're still heavy and don't roll so I can't get that extra traction when cornering. But this is the WORST, I can't turn off DSC while in sport suspension mode, it's one or the other! So put it in Sport +, hold to turn off DSC and it's in Comfort mode! Push it back to Sport + and DSC is enabled again, albeit it dynamic mode. SO FRUSTRATING! Why can't I have both??? I will say Dynamic mode is pretty good and didn't interfere too much but still, I should be able to turn everything off, this isn't a Mercedes.

On the skidpad the 328xiT was a blast! Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's setup for 60/40 rear bias on the xdrive that mechanically distributes power where needed. So I was able to hold the back out for 1/2 a lap before it would pull me in. I pushed it real hard and was able to do 100 degree slides (impossible) but it would do it and then the front tires would pull me back in line. AMAZING and so much fun. I finally figured out that I could hold a constant small angle oversteer if I drove fast on the edge of the skid pad, tons of fun!

At the end of the weekend it started to rain a bit and I was passing everything on the track. This was easily the star of the weekend. BMW should have been paying me to be there because a lot of people said they needed to look into getting one and I overheard another guy on his phone with his wife saying "... Yeah, it's a 328 wagon, it's amazing. You said wanted something practical ..." I couldn't of had more fun. In my M3, when I drive well, I feel good. But in the 4-banger wagon, when I drove as well as M3s, I felt like a freaking HERO!

So, the F31 328 xdrive Station Wagon, best car in the world? Well, now I would certainly argue it is the best all-round car in the world. I can go to the track, sleep in the back, do very well and have lots of fun on the track, then drive home, in the snow, uphill, pick up the Newfoundland and kids, and go on vacation. It can do literally everything and it's excellent at all of it. The only thing I would change is put on some non-runflats and better brake pads.

Options:
F31 328xi Wagon
M Sport Line
Estoril Blue
Black leather
Cold Weather Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
Technology Package
Driver Assistant Package
Driver Assistant Plus
Premium Package
Harman Kardon Sound System
Automatic High Beams
Rear side window shades
M Sport Brakes

The wagon with snow tires/wheels:

EDIT::

This whole story should be on Jalopnik. Just awesome!

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 1
saaltonen105.00
      02-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #34
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I just accidentally stumbled on this thread and absolutely enjoyed reading it.

I'm going to send you a PM, got a few questions for you. We have the exact same cars and would love your opinion on a few things.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #35
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I just accidentally stumbled on this thread and absolutely enjoyed reading it.

I'm going to send you a PM, got a few questions for you. We have the exact same cars and would love your opinion on a few things.
W///
Did you ever get a F31 or decide to keep your E92? I'm actually selling my F31. It sits in the garage, hardly driven as I daily my 228 to work and back, so I should downsize the wagon and save some money, I'm thinking.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm keeping it.

Last edited by DarkstarZero; 01-26-2016 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 09:14 AM   #36
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Where is Scott to tell us that nobody like the wagon after all? If Bmw could offer a 340i/xi Touring this would the perfect Jack of all trade car. Thanks for the topic good to know how good the F31 can be at the track. I guess that why there is many Touring video on the ring. Maybe I'll try it with mine...
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #37
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 GTI 6MT, was 320i ZSP/ZMT

I sometimes think I could deal with the slushbox and AWD just to get in the dead-sexy F31 (by far the most attractive F3x, IMHO), but then I realize that the hot hatches are only like a foot shorter and offer 6MT. The upcoming Focus RS even offers torque vectoring!

A base 6MT Golf R is $35k, while the comparably-equipped 328xi wagon is over $50k. Sure, you give up RWD-bias, 50/50 weight dist, and a lot in the looks department, but the Golf R is faster, has Nappa leather and a few other niceties. I don't consider the interior quality to differ significantly.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #38
SoDiezl350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Update Edit:

Love the car and the pics! Can't believe you fit those wheels in there. Out of curiosity which wheels did you go with as your spare set? Looking for a set of cheap track rims as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 11:24 PM   #39
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDiezl350 View Post
Love the car and the pics! Can't believe you fit those wheels in there. Out of curiosity which wheels did you go with as your spare set? Looking for a set of cheap track rims as well.
Honestly the cheapest track rims you can get are at the track. Every time I go someone is selling a set used track rims from their last club racing project or snow tires and wheels off their last car. And if they fit your car, get them.

I've purchased a lot of used stuff from guys at the track, wheels, tires, cars, and all of them have turned out to be excellent investments. The best one being a 95 Daytona Violet M3 with only 74k on the clock, the guy was asking $10k, I said I'll be right back.

Anyway, the cheapest and best track rims are track rims at the track.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #40
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

This is front page material!

Oh and definitely need to see the E36 purple M3, i LOVE that color!!!
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #41
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
Where is Scott to tell us that nobody like the wagon after all? If Bmw could offer a 340i/xi Touring this would the perfect Jack of all trade car. Thanks for the topic good to know how good the F31 can be at the track. I guess that why there is many Touring video on the ring. Maybe I'll try it with mine...
the F31 340i is a blast, especially with the LSD. Would love to try it on the track with a proper set of non run flat tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #42
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
the F31 340i is a blast, especially with the LSD. Would love to try it on the track with a proper set of non run flat tires.
The U.S. NEEDS the 340 touring. Damn... :'-(

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #43
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post

Appreciate 3
      01-29-2016, 07:30 PM   #44
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post

If you really think it's front page material, I think there's a button on the thread where you can recommend it to be on the front page.
Appreciate 0