F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Switching from bootmod3 to Mgflasher
Studio RSR

06-30-2021, 02:21 AM   #1
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i B48

Switching from bootmod3 to Mgflasher

Hey guys,
I'm thinking of switching from bootmod3 on my b48 320i to mgflasher. Has anyone here made the jump? Mgflasher seems to be a lot faster from what I see in dragy results and I was wondering why that may be. Any experiences and insights would be helpful
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 120i

I don't know if it's possible (the opposite yes). You could buy a custom MG calibration and then flash it with bootmod app.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 10:03 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoddar View Post
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of switching from bootmod3 on my b48 320i to mgflasher. Has anyone here made the jump? Mgflasher seems to be a lot faster from what I see in dragy results and I was wondering why that may be. Any experiences and insights would be helpful
Im not too sure about their OTS maps being more aggressive but if more power is your goal , I recommend you get a custom bm3 map.

We offer custom maps by Cary Jordan, I guarantee it will beat any off the shelf map and you get to keep all the bm3 awesome features

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 11:13 AM   #4
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Im not too sure about their OTS maps being more aggressive but if more power is your goal , I recommend you get a custom bm3 map.
Mgflasher ots maps are running higher timing and similar boost to bm3 ots and are producing much higher power figures from what I can see. Getting a custom tune makes more sense though and I'll go with NavardiTuned if I decide to move away from the OTS maps.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2021, 03:39 PM   #5
Dronamashina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340ix

Quote:

We offer custom maps by Cary Jordan, I guarantee it will beat any off the shelf map and you get to keep all the bm3 awesome features
You can guarantee…. 🤣🤣 is it the guy who’s tunes have power curve falling down after 4500 rpm like from a mountain? If yes than its not going to beat anything… this guy has a lot of dynos with bad power curves and almost no dragy numbers.
And what will happen if it will not beat OTS map in terms of performance numbers on the road? You will return money for the tune or what? Didn’t want to be rude, no offence, but what you said sounds ridiculous…
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:43 PM   #6
Dronamashina
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys,
I know two persons who moved from bm3 to mgflasher and both are completely happy and satisfied with that. And yes mgflasher has better performance. At least had better dragy numbers half a year ago, I don’t know if bm3 maps were updated after that.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:45 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronamashina View Post
You can guarantee…. 🤣🤣 is it the guy who’s tunes have power curve falling down after 4500 rpm like from a mountain? If yes than its not going to beat anything… this guy has a lot of dynos with bad power curves and almost no dragy numbers.
And what will happen if it will not beat OTS map in terms of performance numbers on the road? You will return money for the tune or what? Didn’t want to be rude, no offence, but what you said sounds ridiculous…
I have sold over 100 Jordan custom tunes, I also used his custom map on my car. I personally could not be happier with the result and we got great feedback from the customers as well.

When you say he has a lot of bad dynos, you might be right but you need to consider how many happy customers they have as well.

Not my place to defend every vendor on this forum but I wanted to point out that if they sold a couple of thousands of tunes and they have 5 bad dynos, that's a great record that's all.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
johnung4525.00
      06-30-2021, 04:05 PM   #8
Dronamashina
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have sold over 100 Jordan custom tunes, I also used his custom map on my car. I personally could not be happier with the result and we got great feedback from the customers as well.

When you say he has a lot of bad dynos, you might be right but you need to consider how many happy customers they have as well.

Not my place to defend every vendor on this forum but I wanted to point out that if they sold a couple of thousands of tunes and they have 5 bad dynos, that's a great record that's all.
Sounds reasonable, but you have to understand that a lot of people doesn’t know a lot about tunes and things… absolute majority doesn’t even bother themselves to make a dragy test to confirm performance gains. Of course they are happy. Also sales doesn’t = quality of a product or quality of a tune in that case. Again that’s because majority of customers doesn’t know a lot about such things. They buy because of good marketing.

Last edited by Dronamashina; 07-01-2021 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 07:18 PM   #9
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Mgflasher and Bootmod3 are tuning platforms, neither is going to inherently provide more performance than the other. They can only offer features, not power. If someone wants to maximize performance, they get a custom map. It has always been the safest and most effective method. If the tuner can support either platform there is no reason to waste money switching because of differences in OTS tunes.

If you want to change the power curve on N20 you need a higher flow turbo, tuning software isn't going to fix that.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 2
tpoddar50.50
n55david1295.50
      06-30-2021, 09:32 PM   #10
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Mgflasher and Bootmod3 are tuning platforms, neither is going to inherently provide more performance than the other. They can only offer features, not power. If someone wants to maximize performance, they get a custom map. It has always been the safest and most effective method. If the tuner can support either platform there is no reason to waste money switching because of differences in OTS tunes.

If you want to change the power curve on N20 you need a higher flow turbo, tuning software isn't going to fix that.
+1

But its BM3 for me in this case by a long shot. I tried the MG app and the dashboard and its ok but logging is at least 3-4 times faster with BM3 app and you get way more data. Its also just a way more polished user experience in BM3 than MG. OTS Maps can be whatever they can be. No one can make a generic map make all the power in the world and also make it very safe and have some earth shattering power. All the talk about one better than another because of some OTS map is nonsense as anyone can change that at any point and its a m00t point after that.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 12:28 AM   #11
Dronamashina
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Its a 100% confirmed fact that mgflasher ots has better performance than bm3. And the thing is - majority of people doesn’t want to spend money and time on a custom tune. All they want is strong ots maps, nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 08:00 AM   #12
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronamashina View Post
Quote:

Its a 100% confirmed fact that mgflasher ots has better performance than bm3. And the thing is - majority of people doesn't want to spend money and time on a custom tune. All they want is strong ots maps, nothing more.
We all get that the OTS Mg maps are more aggressive than BM3.

We can make assumptions about most people all we want, however, OPs cost to get a custom tune on BM3 is the same as switching to an Mg OTS tune. It's a no-brainer.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #13
MTWO
Captain
Rep

Quote:

We can make assumptions about most people all we want, however, OPs cost to get a custom tune on BM3 is the same as switching to an Mg OTS tune. It's a no-brainer.
Nonsense LOL! Custom is custom period end of story.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 01:32 PM   #14
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
Quote:

Nonsense LOL! Custom is custom period end of story.
I am not sure what is nonsense here. Custom tunes are preferable, I have not suggested otherwise.

It would be a mistake to spend money on another platform for a more aggressive OTS tune when for the same money you can have an optimized custom tune.

I feel we agree on that from your previous response to me, maybe I was unclear.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:55 PM   #15
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

Mgflasher OTS is a great alternative to Bootmod3 for anyone who's new to the platform but as @MacklinUSOB pointed out, my cost to switch from Bootmod3 to Mgflasher is about the same as getting a great custom tune thus not making sense for me.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2021, 09:23 AM   #16
MTWO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure what is nonsense here. Custom tunes are preferable, I have not suggested otherwise.

It would be a mistake to spend money on another platform for a more aggressive OTS tune when for the same money you can have an optimized custom tune.

I feel we agree on that from your previous response to me, maybe I was unclear.
Sorry, I was actually agreeing with you we’re on the same page
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #17
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

I just learnt why MgFlasher OTS maps are more aggressive than bootmod3, it may be because MgFlasher alters the stock knock tables in their stage 1 and stage 2 tunes unlike bootmod3.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 09:45 PM   #18
MTWO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I just learnt why MgFlasher OTS maps are more aggressive than bootmod3, it may be because MgFlasher alters the stock knock tables in their stage 1 and stage 2 tunes unlike bootmod3.
That’s terrible if true. Desensitizing knock tables?? How do you know?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 09:57 PM   #19
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I asked them over email, image attached below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #20
Dronamashina
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Take a look at this. They explain everything in that post on FB
https://m.facebook.com/mgflasher/posts/2881485778788943
Also take a look:
https://ecutek.atlassian.net/wiki/sp...8+Tuning+Guide
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 12:41 PM   #21
PuroMexicano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Line 2017

I've had MG Flasher for a year and a half now and couldn't be more happy.
The couple questions about flashing and overall use of the product were answered quickly.

Bm3 customers also say the same about Bm3.

Both are excellent, you can't go wrong with anyone.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #22
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 120i

Think carefully about the switch to Mg Flasher platform! The support IS NOT efficient! More than a week to analyze 4 datalogs!
Appreciate 0