F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Gas and electricity prices
Studio RSR

01-19-2022, 04:23 AM   #23
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I've read a few articles on the future of nuclear, and it seems that the most exciting way forward is quite different to the older massive stations that take decades to build.

Instead, going down the route of small modular reactors (more along the lines of what's used in a nuclear submarine or ship), would allow them to come on line much quicker. More would been to be built, but the solution is much easier to scale up, and provides for more flexibility for the overall grid. They also need much less room.

I understand the waste disposal issue is much better resolved these days with the newer technology too.

Some info here:

https://www.rolls-royce.com/innovati...ion-about-smrs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59212983
Very interesting! I hope this is proven to be a success rather than investing in the dream of running entire countries on wind and solar
      01-21-2022, 04:34 AM   #24
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

The price of energy is now turning into a very serious problem indeed...

Listening to desperate folk calling into radio stations, already saying they cannot pay their bills... I think it was LBC where the guy said he'd even removed the light from his fridge to save £... and another broke down trying to come to terms with his situation as he was describing it... and we are in for at least another few years of this... and businesses will be suffering likewise (on top of already problematic distribution costs - are you noticing your supermarket shopping getting more expensive perhaps?)

Big problems like this require big thinking... Let's hope that we get some...

Apologies to everybody but this is a bit of a "thing" for me... Partly my background and partly that I have been talking about our attitude towards energy security for many, many years now...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 5
Rbrown2764.50
G50950.00
JustChris17485.50
winther11819.50
      01-22-2022, 04:39 AM   #25
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post

Apologies to everybody but this is a bit of a "thing" for me... Partly my background and partly that I have been talking about our attitude towards energy security for many, many years now...
I know we're in for a big shock in April. I'm with Octopus on £130 a month and have been avoiding meter readings for the last six months.

I'm just thinking of what we've done to the house in the last few years. I've changed every bulb / light to LED. (The kitchen had 16 halogen ceiling lights for example). I've doubled the insulation in the loft, we've had the walls insulated despite the house being built with thermal block and brick. The boiler's recently been serviced, we have lined curtains in the lounge, house fully double glazed of course.

The rads are off in the 3 unused rooms upstairs, the heating is off at night. We're home during the day but the heating is mainly off as we're south facing and we're in the habit of walking around wearing Berghaus fleeces. Despite this the costs still creep up and that's without this latest rise when it kicks in.

I'm obviously not doing enough as when we were kids the ice used to be on the inside of the windows and we got by fine back then.
Appreciate 6
Rbrown2764.50
sahajesh2294.00
D69GMB463.00
G50950.00
RustyBitz1573.50
      01-22-2022, 04:55 AM   #26
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
I know we're in for a big shock in April. I'm with Octopus on £130 a month and have been avoiding meter readings for the last six months.

I'm just thinking of what we've done to the house in the last few years. I've changed every bulb / light to LED. (The kitchen had 16 halogen ceiling lights for example). I've doubled the insulation in the loft, we've had the walls insulated despite the house being built with thermal block and brick. The boiler's recently been serviced, we have lined curtains in the lounge, house fully double glazed of course.

The rads are off in the 3 unused rooms upstairs, the heating is off at night. We're home during the day but the heating is mainly off as we're south facing and we're in the habit of walking around wearing Berghaus fleeces. Despite this the costs still creep up and that's without this latest rise when it kicks in.

I'm obviously not doing enough as when we were kids the ice used to be on the inside of the windows and we got by fine back then.
I am experimenting with running the heating at a constant temperature, with all interior doors open, and seeing how the costs of that compare to last year when I was running lower temps at night and not heating some rooms... and it seems to be cheaper maintaining a constant temp... I think the fact the house is modern and insulated helps...

Obviously, comparing last year to this may not be totally fair if weather/temps were different for different periods, and I may also be not heating the house quite as warm as I did last year, also.. but certainly over the 3 months so far I am about 15% down on energy usage compared to last year...

Clearly 15% down is not going to offset 100% rises, but I guess it all helps...

I am capped until the next rise and so am fortunate that I am unlikely to be hit too hard until next winter and the plan is to overpay these next six months to help build a little buffer...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      01-22-2022, 05:02 AM   #27
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
I am experimenting with running the heating at a constant temperature, with all interior doors open, and seeing how the costs of that compare to last year when I was running lower temps at night and not heating some rooms... and it seems to be cheaper maintaining a constant temp... I think the fact the house is modern and insulated helps...
Now that's interesting. So you're leaving the heating at the same temp day and night ? I've only recently gone down the route of turning off rads in unused rooms (the kids old bedrooms but they do pop back every now and then).

Do you have a smart meter? We don't and I've kind of ignored requests to fit one for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 05:22 AM   #28
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I cant remember when I didnt do that, with kids and grandkids in this house and a wife at home all day in the last place who felt the cold badly because of illness.

In fact, we barely adjust it when we leave the property for a day or two!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 05:33 AM   #29
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Not letting the temperature drop too far is key IMHO. My analogy, keeping a pan on a simmer uses a smaller flame than getting it to boiling point quickly in the first place

I've run a programmable roomstat for over 20 years. In essence the heating will come on any time the set limit isn't seen in the hall all year round. M-F Stat is set to 20 degrees from 05:30 (we're up for work before 7), 19 degrees from 08:30, 21 degrees from 16:00, 17 degrees from 22:00. The weekend times are a little different to cater for our routine.

Have been paying <£1400pa for gas and electric over the last couple of years, which I feel is acceptable for the level of comfort. 3 bed semi with 9 rooms.

I remember recording the gas use daily for a few weeks just after I changed over to the programmable roomstat expecting the useage to sky rocket, but it didn't. Previously I'd run a manual room stat (say set at 20-21) and a timer that would have the heating on for a few hours morning and evening, Off during the daytime (when out at work) and overnight.

Last edited by Techno 9000; 01-22-2022 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 05:47 AM   #30
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

We’re with SSE, now part of OVO, I believe. Was contacted by email with an offer of a fixed price deal ahead of the April increase. Rang them up and spoke with a nice fella from Perth. The fixed price deal was more than double what we’re paying now for gas+electricity. I said to the guy that is sounded like a lose-lose and he was candid enough to agree. Will have to suck it up when the time comes but we’re lucky enough to be able to afford it, unlike many households for whom this will be crippling. Our super reliable Potterton Suprima boiler is now twenty years old so may replace it, given that it is 78% efficiency rated, vs the latest German models which reach 95%. A multi-year payback of course but probably a good time to upgrade.
      01-22-2022, 07:12 AM   #31
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Now that's interesting. So you're leaving the heating at the same temp day and night ? I've only recently gone down the route of turning off rads in unused rooms (the kids old bedrooms but they do pop back every now and then).
Yes, that is exactly what I am doing... The only room I am isolating is the main bedroom as I prefer a cooler room to sleep in and so I let it go slightly cooler...

I am working on an idea that it uses less energy to maintain a constant temperature (even through the night) than it does to regularly heat back up to a temperature during the day having let it go cooler at night...

Interestingly, I had it set a few degrees cooler on the thermostat when I was away for a few weeks, but the surprising thing is that I did not notice any really big difference when stepping back up and maintaining the temp a couple of degrees higher... which does suggest to me it is the warming up phase that influences the energy use...

I know it is a small sample size, but it looks like it uses only 1% more energy stepping up those 2 degrees ... using the "set at constant temp" method I am trying...

Last year, I had it drop a degree and a half at night, then raised it again in the morning...

Now, what I don't have, are the records to show if last year was, on average, colder than this year, so it may be weather related... But it's been cold enough up here that I am not thinking the average is so much different...

Quote:
Do you have a smart meter? We don't and I've kind of ignored requests to fit one for some reason.
I do have a smart meter but because I have had a change of supplier since fitted it does not now send the readings to the supplier, but it still reads to the unit for me and I can keep tabs on it...
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      01-22-2022, 07:17 AM   #32
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
The insulation is the key factor, from my research and observations.

I recall my FiL and work colleagues experimenting on the best and cheapest way to warm their homes, this was 40-years ago. They came to the conclusion there was little difference in costs, leaving the house warm, (not full heat) compared to switching on and off. They collected data and did some analysis on their running costs.

Conclusion... the 'comfort factor' of a warm dry home, didn't cost much more than believing they were saving a lot of cash by switching off, when not in the home. Even worse when at home!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 07:19 AM   #33
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
Not letting the temperature drop too far is key IMHO. My analogy, keeping a pan on a simmer uses a smaller flame than getting it to boiling point quickly in the first place

I've run a programmable roomstat for over 20 years. In essence the heating will come on any time the set limit isn't seen in the hall all year round. M-F Stat is set to 20 degrees from 05:30 (we're up for work before 7), 19 degrees from 08:30, 21 degrees from 16:00, 17 degrees from 22:00. The weekend times are a little different to cater for our routine.
So that its how I used the programmable thermostat last year... Now, I have it set as the same temp across the board... at a number where the whole house feels comfortable but not too hot, and have left it at that...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 07:22 AM   #34
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The insulation is the key factor, from my research and observations.

I recall my FiL and work colleagues experimenting on the best and cheapest way to warm their homes, this was 40-years ago. They came to the conclusion there was little difference in costs, leaving the house warm, (not full heat) compared to switching on and off. They collected data and did some analysis on their running costs.

Conclusion... the 'comfort factor' of a warm dry home, didn't cost much more than believing they were saving a lot of cash by switching off, when not in the home. Even worse when at home!
I agree completely about the insulation... Mine is a reasonably new house with pretty good insulation all round... and my bills reflect that...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 08:30 AM   #35
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 128ti

Well my fixed contract with Octopus comes to an end on the 1st March and they sent me my options last week. I currently pay £125 per month and that has been covering the annual usage

Fix for 12 months is being offered at £311 per month
Fix with “Loyalty” Octopus offered at £248 per month
Do nothing and go on variable rate £159 per month

Going to go with the variable rate but also appreciate that lifting the energy cap in April and October could see me into the “Loyalty” offer territory fairly quickly
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2764.50
      01-22-2022, 08:44 AM   #36
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartside View Post
Well my fixed contract with Octopus comes to an end on the 1st March and they sent me my options last week. I currently pay £125 per month and that has been covering the annual usage

Going to go with the variable rate but also appreciate that lifting the energy cap in April and October could see me into the “Loyalty” offer territory fairly quickly
can't see energy prices shooting up that high, i'm sure there will be some more government intervention somewhere
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2764.50
      01-22-2022, 09:10 AM   #37
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY340i View Post
Quote:

can't see energy prices shooting up that high, i'm sure there will be some more government intervention somewhere
Isn't the government intervention "the cap"?

If all suppliers are supplying at the capped rate to those whose fixed deals have ended, and no supplier can offer a fixed deal better than the capped rates, that suggests that the energy companies are buying energy for more than the capped rate, or at the very least once they have added overheads it more than the cap.

This also means we have lack of competition currently and high uncertainty for energy companies. Aside from taking energy back under public control I'm not sure what the government can do. Albeit I am no expert on energy policy.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2764.50
      01-22-2022, 09:10 AM   #38
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:

When you say 'fix', is that quoting you an absolute price, regardless of use ?
Or is it a unit price basis ?
Is that for electricity and gas, or electric only ?
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2764.50
      01-22-2022, 10:12 AM   #39
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Or is it a unit price basis ?
Is that for electricity and gas, or electric only ?
It’s a fixed payment per month based on historical usage. The energy tariff and standing charge are fixed for the 12 month period but usage will affect the bill.

This is for dual fuel, gas and electric
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 10:15 AM   #40
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post

If all suppliers are supplying at the capped rate to those whose fixed deals have ended, and no supplier can offer a fixed deal better than the capped rates, that suggests that the energy companies are buying energy for more than the capped rate, or at the very least once they have added overheads it more than the cap.

This also means we have lack of competition currently and high uncertainty for energy companies. Aside from taking energy back under public control I'm not sure what the government can do. Albeit I am no expert on energy policy.
As I understand it, the cap is being raised in April which without the government doing anything could see predicted increases of around 40%. In October a further 20% increases could be seen.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 10:19 AM   #41
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:

I am working on an idea that it uses less energy to maintain a constant temperature (even through the night) than it does to regularly heat back up to a temperature during the day having let it go cooler at night...
This may be of interest
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ut...-saving-myths/

My view is it’s fine keeping the heating on when you are in and using it. However if you are out for the day, you’ll use less energy reheating the house than heating it all day.
Then again, insulation is key - it would be expensive keeping a pan or kettle of water on the boil for just when you need it but boiling water taps are negligible costs to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #42
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:

Yes, I think a lot depends on the terms you can exit the fixed loyalty tariff. If only at short notice with the cap due to go up they say by at least 50%, the loyalty to me looks the better tariff.

I am also with Octopus but my current fix does not end until late March but my current fix allowed me to exit at any time
Appreciate 1
Hartside268.00
      01-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #43
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:
It’s a fixed payment per month based on historical usage. The energy tariff and standing charge are fixed for the 12 month period but usage will affect the bill.

This is for dual fuel, gas and electric
So for the fixed deals the tariff is fixed for the variable nothing is fixed
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 01:43 PM   #44
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post

Perhaps nationalisation of the energy industry?
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50