F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Road bike advice
Studio RSR

01-07-2022, 06:40 AM   #1519
Wolverine
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36 420D GC M-Sport

Are you looking for official/organised and marshalled events?

A friend did the Dunwich Dynamo a few years ago. That one looks bloody tough though but it was apparently very good. I think it's slated for July this year.
Ride London 100? It's a ballot and £89 to enter IIRC.

On a different note, I'm looking at getting an indoor trainer to get back on the bike this year. I said I'd do it last year and didn't but now my Xmas bonus is burning a hole in my pocket so it seems a good time to get to it and buy a trainer. Trouble is, I have no idea what's good, or whether I'll get on with riding it in the garage so I'm probably not looking to spend £1k on a trainer. Also would need to be compatible with Shimano 9sp as my bikes are ancient by most standards (2011 vintage). I'm told something that works with Zwift is better than those that don't? It would help a bit if it wasn't loud as the garage is integral and I don't want to annoy the other residents here too much if anyone has a recommendation I'd be grateful
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 07:25 AM   #1520
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
So what's some good road events to sign up to this year?
So far I've got the 'Tour de Bristol' which is a nice 100k over the bridge round the wye valley and back.
Then the London to Brighton ride.
Anyone recommend some other good ones? Love to do the Paris one but can't justify the cost at the moment
Are you down south ? The Jurassic Beast (now called classic) is worth a punt. Likewise the New Forest classic is very popular (the locals aren't that keen mind ..both scenic routes.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2022, 07:54 AM   #1521
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post

On a different note, I'm looking at getting an indoor trainer to get back on the bike this year. I said I'd do it last year and didn't but now my Xmas bonus is burning a hole in my pocket so it seems a good time to get to it and buy a trainer. Trouble is, I have no idea what's good, or whether I'll get on with riding it in the garage so I'm probably not looking to spend £1k on a trainer. Also would need to be compatible with Shimano 9sp as my bikes are ancient by most standards (2011 vintage). I'm told something that works with Zwift is better than those that don't? It would help a bit if it wasn't loud as the garage is integral and I don't want to annoy the other residents here too much if anyone has a recommendation I'd be grateful
I contemplated the same for a year or two. Thanks to advice on here I bought a Wahoo kickr core a few months back, a smart trainer using Zwift on Apple TV and a monitor in the garage. I believe its compatible with 9 speed. I'd certainly recommend it or something similar (Tacx Flux/ Elite etc). My old winter setup was a wheel on dumb turbo watching you tube vids . The involvement and variety on Zwift removes that element of boredom, so I've no issue knocking out 2 hour plus rides on the turbo where that simply didn't happen before. All sorts of routes and workouts / plans etc to keep you interested.

I'm sure a few others will offer up some recommendations.
Appreciate 2
Wolverine490.50
Rbrown2765.50
      01-07-2022, 11:31 AM   #1522
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
So what's some good road events to sign up to this year?
There will be loads of audax/sportives events in the summer if you want to target a specific ride in your local area.

https://audax.uk/

https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/sportives
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 03:34 PM   #1523
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Exclamation

Inbox !
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 03:49 PM   #1524
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Any guys on here know anything about road bikes?

With the gyms being closed I'm looking at getting out on a bike more, especially with the weather hopefully improving.

I've currently got a 6 year Boardman which is at the end of its life so I'm thinking of something new.

I'm more of a sportive type guy, going out on my own on rural roads doing 50-100km. Looking to spend around £2000-2500ish although hopefully this would be on O% finance.

Any recommendations guys?

And are Rutland Cycles any good? There's a couple near-ish to me.

Thanks.
Inbox !
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:13 AM   #1525
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
Are you looking for official/organised and marshalled events?

A friend did the Dunwich Dynamo a few years ago. That one looks bloody tough though but it was apparently very good. I think it's slated for July this year.
Ride London 100? It's a ballot and £89 to enter IIRC.

I am a big fan of my trainer in the garage.

The first thing you will need is electricity and WiFi in your garage for it all to work.

I like the Wahoo range of trainers.

I started off with the base Wahoo smart trainer (Wahoo Snap) where the wheel stays on your bike. The benefit of this one is that it is really good value for money and means you don't have to worry about your cassette.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wahoo-kickr-snap

I recently sold my Snap for the direct trainer model. If you take this route, you will need to transfer the cassette from current bike or buy another one that is compatible. The Core is a couple of hundred quid more and the benefit is that it is a bit quieter, you don't wear out your rear tyre, it has a cadence meter built in and riding feels more "road like". Having used both, the Snap is still a really good option and saves you faffing about with cassettes.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wahoo-kickr...-turbo-trainer

If you really want to blow your budget. There are good trainer bikes…but at £3k quite an investment…

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wahoo-kickr-bike-smart-trainer

I have my bike set up in garage and connect my phone to Zwift through a smart TV. I finding watching a film doing a session really helps hide the pain.

I hope this makes sense / helps. There is a very good second hand market for these trainers. Worth knowing that if you really don't like it, you will be able to move it on.

Please let me know if you need anymore information. Happy to help!
Appreciate 1
Wolverine490.50
      01-11-2022, 05:18 AM   #1526
Wolverine
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36 420D GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
I am a big fan of my trainer in the garage.

Please let me know if you need anymore information. Happy to help!
Wow. Thanks for such a detailed reply! I will check those links out and come back to you if I do have more questions.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      01-11-2022, 05:53 AM   #1527
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Looks lift Zwift getting ready to release their own hardware:

https://zwiftinsider.com/zwift-ride-wheel/
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      02-12-2022, 10:50 AM   #1528
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Made a bad call today…after doing 20km on Zwift today, decided to "have a look at Alpe du Zwift".

It becomes addictive - and painful!

After hitting turn 12…thought "I will keep going to turn 9"…..then I just couldn't give up.

Leg cramps in the last 3km.

It was a very slow climb at 80 minutes (probably the slowest on here) - but at least it's done now. Next time I won't do a 20km lead in. Overall 50km and 1,400 m climbed.

Feeling my age today! As an aside, was in hospital 3 years ago with pulmonary embolism after ankle break. Couldn't walk the length of myself without having to stop to catch my breath!
Appreciate 5
JustChris17487.50
JR16641146.50
RhysoTDI180.50
      02-12-2022, 11:34 AM   #1529
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Made a bad call today…after doing 20km on Zwift today, decided to "have a look at Alpe du Zwift".

After hitting turn 12…thought "I will keep going to turn 9"…..then I just couldn't give up.

It was a very slow climb at 80 minutes (probably the slowest on here) - but at least it's done now. Next time I won't do a 20km lead in. Overall 50km and 1,400 m climbed.

Feeling my age today! As an aside, was in hospital 3 years ago with pulmonary embolism after ankle break. Couldn't walk the length of myself without having to stop to catch my breath!
That's last paragraph is awesome mate. What a change!!!

Ran 11 miles today is sleet and legs are not happy now! However it's all working, 5 weeks back it and results are coming 😳👊🏻
      02-12-2022, 12:56 PM   #1530
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:

Funnily enough, I did the Alp last Sunday - for the first time since May apart from a few half climbs.

I also had my daughter cycling around the garage with me, she loves a bit of Zwift and music unfortunately she made me stop and get off my bike four times before and on the alp for various reasons which repeatedly killed my rhythm.

All the way up to hairpin 6 I set PBs on each Strava segment bar a couple i had stopped on. I then blew up spectacularly and crawled up the last few bends, just about keeping the legs turning and managing about 170w.

Love Zwift!

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      02-12-2022, 02:28 PM   #1531
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

MB pointed me towards this bastard climb I've done it three times this year and yet to get near 80 minutes so fair play.

Zwift is absolutely brilliant. I'm trying to knock off the route badges and up the XP. I've failed twice on the Four Horseman...which is the Alp after the epic KMO and Radio Tower - literally nearly died on that route
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
      02-12-2022, 03:45 PM   #1532
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
Quote:

MB pointed me towards this bastard climb I've done it three times this year and yet to get near 80 minutes so fair play.

Zwift is absolutely brilliant. I'm trying to knock off the route badges and up the XP. I've failed twice on the Four Horseman...which is the Alp after the epic KMO and Radio Tower - literally nearly died on that route
I meant to comment that 80 minutes is bloody good! I'm around the 100 mark, probably would have managed 90 without blowing up last week but that's a big "probably". Think I'd have to average 270w or so to get to 80. Good on you Mr Brown!

Four horseman sounds horrendous. I hate the Radio Tower climb (love/hate) and have done it many times, I can't even imagine contemplating the Alp afterwards.

Have you guys done Ventoux yet? I've never had the time aside to have a crack at that.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 03:34 AM   #1533
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I meant to comment that 80 minutes is bloody good! I'm around the 100 mark, probably would have managed 90 without blowing up last week but that's a big "probably". Think I'd have to average 270w or so to get to 80. Good on you Mr Brown!

Four horseman sounds horrendous. I hate the Radio Tower climb (love/hate) and have done it many times, I can't even imagine contemplating the Alp afterwards.

Have you guys done Ventoux yet? I've never had the time aside to have a crack at that.
I've yet to try that beastie. 91 minutes is my best time up the Alp, I just sit and spin at 200w. I haven't really gone balls out on it yet as I'm worried about an early death
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2022, 08:38 AM   #1534
RhysoTDI
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d

Interesting reading this as i also did the Alpe Du Zwift last week…..my Triathlon club do a ride every Sunday and because of the weather it was done on Zwift

Had no idea what the route was until I logged on!! Really didn’t want to to that after having been out the night before

Tried the Jon’s Mix session today….the first part is a killer!!
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #1535
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysoTDI View Post
Interesting reading this as i also did the Alpe Du Zwift last week…..my Triathlon club do a ride every Sunday and because of the weather it was done on Zwift

Had no idea what the route was until I logged on!! Really didn't want to to that after having been out the night before

Tried the Jon's Mix session today….the first part is a killer!!
Oh yeah I've done Jon's mix, it is hard work.

ETA i saw a very large group going up when I was descending. Maybe your club! Was passed by a smaller group near the top too. But was going so slow it was hard to tell a group from the general flood of overtakers

Appreciate 1
RhysoTDI180.50
      02-13-2022, 11:20 AM   #1536
RhysoTDI
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d

Quote:

ETA i saw a very large group going up when I was descending. Maybe your club! Was passed by a smaller group near the top too. But was going so slow it was hard to tell a group from the general flood of overtakers
They did the Surry Hills this morning so unlikely to be them lol

That Box Hill is a tough grind so kind of glad I didn’t join in with them this morning
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      02-13-2022, 12:06 PM   #1537
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Zwift is absolutely brilliant.
Nearly used my real bike for the commute into work today, glad I didn't, not just the weather, but part my job is to take calls about donor organs that become available, and recently more often than not pedal-bikes are mentioned .

Coming up to 40 weeks since getting into indoor cycling, cannot see my self going back on the road bike in any form looking ahead.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      02-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #1538
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysoTDI View Post
Quote:

They did the Surry Hills this morning so unlikely to be them lol

That Box Hill is a tough grind so kind of glad I didn’t join in with them this morning
I was on the Alp last Sunday afternoon, rather than today. (At my speed, most of Sunday afternoon )

Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
RhysoTDI180.50
      02-13-2022, 02:26 PM   #1539
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Nearly used my real bike for the commute into work today, glad I didn't, not just the weather, but part my job is to take calls about donor organs that become available, and recently more often than not pedal-bikes are mentioned .

Coming up to 40 weeks since getting into indoor cycling, cannot see my self going back on the road bike in any form looking ahead.
That's not good about the donor organs.

Zwift was only meant to be a quick fix for the winter but I guess I'm hooked. I find road cycling pure mental therapy and like to feel the sun on my back, when its out that is. I have some lovely quiet routes through picture postcard villages and glorious countryside - I just love soaking it in, plus I cycle abroad.

Fortunately I have the time with the kids having flown the nest and early retirement but fully understand the reasons for those who don't and I just wish I had it back then.

I'm not sure I'm ready to swap it out fully but I'm sure when I get back on the road I'll be so much stronger thanks to it, without doubt it simply blows my old turbo set up away completely.

Do you think there's a major shift to indoor cycling as a hobby ? We had this thing in the 90's / 2000's where golf became all the rage. Then cycling took over and golf courses started closing, now people have the option to get rid of all that hassle and do it online, in the comfort of their own home and suddenly the pressure is off with 'er indoors' as you're actually still indoors
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2022, 07:09 AM   #1540
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Fortunately I have the time with the kids having flown the nest and early retirement but fully understand the reasons for those who don't and I just wish I had it back then.
The time saving aspect of indoor machines just cannot be beaten. I did 1hr of pretty structured workout today at 6am before everyone else got up, and was in work by 815am. Add in the lack of road danger indoor cycling is here to stay I would say.

I still commute to work on the eBike, but thats taking things slow, and even when I fall off its at pretty low speeds, versus going out on the road bike where chasing Strava segments leads to taking some pretty unnecessary risks or else you just frustrated at having to slow down/stop at junctions etc.

Appreciate 3
JustChris17487.50
RhysoTDI180.50