F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Suspension...F30....time to get serious!!!
ARMA SPEED

09-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #133
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Forinor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Type in 48-229012 Bilstein in ebay. Make sure Europe vendors is selected. I used a company called tuning-discounts (Germany), first class delivery, except when it reached parcelforce's hands

By the way that part number is for the KOMFORT system. If you want lower, then you need the standard PSS10 B16 version. Don't know the number. Also these fit F20/F21/F30/F31 models sDrive.
I can't seem to find that vendor any more? Am I doing something wrong?
Try tuning teile total. Go to their site direct to save ebay fees.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #134
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 335d

Thank you.

I'm trying to decide between going for ACS with my adaptive, or go down the route of replacing the whole suspension. Either your Bilstein, or Ohlins.
Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.

Last edited by Dr Forinor; 09-19-2017 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #135
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you.

I'm trying to decide between going for ACS with my adaptive, or go down the route or replacing the whole suspension. Either your Bilstein, or Ohlins.
Ah, the old polish a turd or sort it completely.

I can't say what's right for you, but I wouldn't do anything different. And I've done the same on my new 240, so that demonstrates the level of satisfaction with the Bilstein PSS10.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #136
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Can you summarise a little about the differences between ACS/adaptive, and the PSS10, please? In terms of the handling, comfort?
Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #137
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Is this a valid/proper/reliable site?

https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/co...ucts/48-229012

Last edited by Dr Forinor; 09-19-2017 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #138
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Can you summarise a little about the differences between ACS/adaptive, and the PSS10, please? In terms of the handling, comfort?
No, I'm not qualified enough for that. Watsey is probably better positioned to tell you how a good quality suspension system compares to a re-springed EDC system. I went from EDC to standard BMW passive to Bilstein PSS10.

All I can say is you won't regret the change.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #139
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

NISFAN Yeh, I keep teetering between the ACS springs with keeping the adaptive dampers, vs going for what you have.

I'm edging towards your setup though.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #140
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
I've had standard adaptive, ACS springs plus adaptive and ACS RS coilovers....

Springs plus adaptive is fine. If you're an average driver who mainly uses the motorway network then probably not much point in changing.

But the damping and hence body control at pace on typical bumpy British A and B roads is mediocre, so any keen drivers will much prefer how decent dampers will feel.

Coilovers like Bilstein or Ohlins will also give you ride height adjustability.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #141
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Tengocity I consider myself a fairly enthusiastic driver. I do spend a lot of time on the motorway but when I want to enjoy the car, I take it on the local back roads.

As far as ride height goes, I don't want a massive adjustability option. Mainly slightly lower so the car sits better.

** My main concern is ride quality, and improving the handling capabilities of the car. **

With the Standard Adaptive, the car is woeful when you're trying to push on in the twisties. As standard, it's just not able to be chucked around.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #142
6times7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Holy Thread Revival Batman!

FWIW I've just changed out my 330d EDC S-drive to a set of Bilstein B16 Komfort coil overs. In fairness to the EDC's they had done 80k, so were probably on their last legs, but I've had them since 60 odd k and they've always been floaty in comfort and crashy in sport.

I'd been holding out for the bilstein adaptives to be released, but got bored waiting! A recent post from Lorcan seems to indicate they are now due out for December...don't hold your breath.

Anyhow, I managed to acquire a set of passive B16's for a reasonable price and having ftted them I'm glad I have. In my daily driving (M & A roads) at low settings, there is not much difference to Sport settings as I am still on run-flats. Pot holes and cat eyes etc are still noticeable, however there is now much less movement on braking or accelerating, and bumps mid-bend don't upset the cars balance at all.

Having wound the dampers up, and gone for a spin along some local country roads the difference is far more pronounced when pushing on. The car is now planted and firm yet compliant in a way it wasn't before. As an example, previously a short rise & fall in the road would have seen the car crash up and down as soft springs and stiff dampers struggled to keep up. Now it feels like the B16's allow the suspension to work, the car seems to soak up the undulations without transmitting it to the body. Again the movement under braking and accelerating seems to be absorbed into the car without excessive movement, you can fine tune the cars direction with throttle and brake instead of wallowing.

It's just better, and I can't wait to get the PS4S's on.

Couple of points worth bearing in mind - firstly, there are various options on ARB link arrangement, you may need to get the other end link. RealOEM is your friend in this respect. My F31 330sd EDC had mirrored end links, which the F31 330dx bilsteins fitted just fine!

Secondly, I coded out EDC, in lieu of a delete kit. It's worked fine on mine. There are a couple of elements to this:-
1) the EDC bits themselves - the wire that plugs into the damper can be coded out or a delete kit fitted.
2) There are accelerometers on the front struts that feed into EDC and possibly X-drive electrics. On my S-drive, I took them off and haven't had any chasis errors, or chucked it into a ditch yet! I haven't got round to checking ISTA for any internal errrors yet. If they are needed it's a jubilee clip for B16's as they don't come with a bracket like ACS RS EDC setups. Lorcan was of the opinion that these parts were needed for X-drive, and I have no reason to doubt that.

Last edited by 6times7; 09-19-2017 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: pushing submit instead of preview too soon!
Appreciate 1
Lorcan3609.00
      09-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #143
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

6times7 A very informative post, thank you!!!

In all likelihood, I will not be tackling the suspension swap over myself, it will be done by a garage. So I'm hoping they will be able to sort all of that out for me so I get the car back ready to just get on with the enjoyment of driving.

Before you wound your dampers up, what setting did you have it on before, during your M and A road drives? Do you think it needed to be softer?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #144
6times7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

In all likelihood, I will not be tackling the suspension swap over myself, it will be done by a garage. So I'm hoping they will be able to sort all of that out for me so I get the car back ready to just get on with the enjoyment of driving.

Before you wound your dampers up, what setting did you have it on before, during your M and A road drives? Do you think it needed to be softer?
Paying a garage - where's the fun in that? It's ten bolts a corner including getting the wheels off! I think it was Tengocity that claimed to have changed them with a set of spoons Having said that my knuckles would have preferred a garage to do the work, just be aware of the things they may come back with.

I was knocking around at 3 on run flats and it felt closer to sport than comfort. It could have been softer, but had 1 & 2 to go if i was minded. I'm hoping that go-flats at 3 will be silky....
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #145
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6times7 View Post
Paying a garage - where's the fun in that? It's ten bolts a corner including getting the wheels off! I think it was Tengocity that claimed to have changed them with a set of spoons Having said that my knuckles would have preferred a garage to do the work, just be aware of the things they may come back with.

I was knocking around at 3 on run flats and it felt closer to sport than comfort. It could have been softer, but had 1 & 2 to go if i was minded. I'm hoping that go-flats at 3 will be silky....
Be aware of things they may come back with? How do you mean?

I'm not the most technically minded and I'm always afraid of messing something up which may have a lasting effect. Thought in saying that I do have a friend who IS technically minded, I'm sure he would help me out.

But then the electronic stuff, relating to the xDrive and whatever else, I'd be lost. I literally need a Dummies guide! And for me to understand it all, I'd be forever on here asking all sorts of stupid questions, I'm sure you lot would get sick of me haha!

So even setting 2 would be fine on RFT?

Last edited by Dr Forinor; 09-19-2017 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #146
6times7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just mean that if you give it to a garage, make sure they have given you a price for doing the work and all it involves, ie if they come back saying they need to change ARB links, or if there's a chassis error being thrown then it's their problem not yours.

3 is fine on run flats, for me, 2 would be softer, 1 softer still.

Last edited by 6times7; 09-19-2017 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #147
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not me! I don't do any spannering of my own.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #148
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've found 3 to be the sweet spot for general road use.

1 is softer, but you do get secondary bounce off speed humps, etc. More so from the rear.

3 controls the bounce nicely but at the same time isn't too firm. 3 on the rear and 2 up front is slightly better for comfort.

6 is fantastic when you want to have a little bit of fun on those early morning B road blasts.

And 10 works well on track. After track days, I even drive on the roads on 10, but it does become too much eventually. Turns the chassis into a super stiff go kart though.....awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #149
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Tengocity I consider myself a fairly enthusiastic driver. I do spend a lot of time on the motorway but when I want to enjoy the car, I take it on the local back roads.

As far as ride height goes, I don't want a massive adjustability option. Mainly slightly lower so the car sits better.

** My main concern is ride quality, and improving the handling capabilities of the car. **

With the Standard Adaptive, the car is woeful when you're trying to push on in the twisties. As standard, it's just not able to be chucked around.
Then I think the Bilsteins would be good for you, the Ohlins perhaps overkill. Perhaps look in to the Birds set up of just some decent dampers along with ACS springs.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #150
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That must have been teaston . And yes 2 spoons and the plug spanner out of the tool kit.
Even used the warning triangle as a jack stand.
Appreciate 2
6times7137.00
Lorcan3609.00
      09-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #151
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

NISFAN, you're funny!

Can anyone confirm if this is the right kit that I need, please?

https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/co...ucts/48-229012

And that is a legit website?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #152
6times7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Not me! I don't do any spannering of my own.
Sorry, I was shooting from the hip there!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #153
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

So I'll chuck my two pennies in the ring as well. Dr Forinor you may want to search for Ohlins Road & Track and you should be able to find my recent-ish thread.

My car started off with Sport suspension, adaptive, and a dreadful ride : floaty, imprecise, and nothing like the E9x and E46 330D models that I've had previously. I drove Tengo's car which was running a hybrid of adaptive dampers, ACS springs and H&R ARBs at the time - this was the first step in the upgrade path. This gave much nicer ride and handling, but after a couple of years I realised that I wasn't entirely happy with it - the dampers are a real weak point, as you've realised.

I did a lot of research and opted for R&T, left the ARBs in place, had SuperPro front caster-adjustable bushes installed, and finished it off with adjustable top mounts.

Getting rid of a lot of understeer is one in outcome but it's the quality of the damping that is by far the biggest and most enjoyable difference.

The R&T springs are pretty firm, and they are linear (which I wanted) rather than progressive. That said, I've not driven a car with the Bilstein Comfort springs so I can't provide a comparison. R&T dampers are manually two-way parallel adjustable, and just a couple of clicks makes a noticeable difference.

I find driving with a passive damper far more enjoyable as I have learnt how the dampers are going to react to low speed and high speed inputs as well as the amplitude, rather than having the EDC system try and work out what the road surface is doing and then provide an electronically-controlled damping response.

For low speed inputs, think large undulations i.e. dips and crests, also known as primary ride. The R&T dampers soak-up these undulations really well and you can really feel the damper controlling body movement. The OEM adaptive dampers they are completely outclassed in comparison.

For high speed inputs, think scarred tarmac and raised/dropped manhole covers, also known as secondary ride. The R&T dampers have a Dual Flow Valve which provides a second oil pathway which allows the damper to react more quickly which softens the edge of what could otherwise be a crash ride over these poor areas of road surface.

Apologies if this is a lecture !

Moving to a top quality passive damper setup has revitalised my enjoyment of driving the car. I'd become a bit bored of it, primarily due to the ride and handling, but now I'm enjoying a car that I can hustle along a bumpy B road with the confidence that the dampers aren't going to run of of ideas and get the car into a very confused state.

Whatever you choose, I recommend you don't choose cheap. As I've found, a quality suspension setup makes a huge difference. Given my upgrade journey I would/will go straight to coilers next time, with no intermediate step.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #154
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Watsey Thank you, thank you, thank you! Very thorough, and probably what I needed to hear really. Or maybe I wanted to hear?

I just now wish I hadn't chosen a car with adaptive suspension, perhaps saved a little cash and gotten crappy suspension and used that money towards what I'm eventually going for.

I understand Primary and Secondary ride, and as far as I am concerned, both need to be of high standards/quality to makeup for a complete setup.

My previous car, E90 MSport passive suspension, was not too bad for the twisties but it's secondary ride was appalling!! When I jumped into this car, that immediately stood out and was better and had me in awe. It was only when I went out in the country roads to see what it could do did I realise the mistake I had made of buying a car with adaptive suspension.

How much were your Ohlins?

I'm quite honestly considering the B16 Comfort ones, I think they will suit my needs.
Appreciate 0