F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Shocks & Springs
Extreme Powerhouse

05-30-2020, 12:50 AM   #1
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i M-Sport

Shocks & Springs

I bought some H&R SS for my 2016 435 m-sport with EDC. It has about 42,000 miles with the current setup, I can't imagine lowering it an inch will serve my shocks well, or am I overthinking? I've searched for shocks that support edc online but GODDAMN they are freaking expensive! That snd the fact i dont want to lose EDC is specifically why i didnt go coilovers. What are my options here? It's clear that as soon as I install the springs the warranty covering the suspension is toast. What am I missing here? I cant believe that all edc accepting shocks start at $300 per. Thanks!
- Injen intake
- Active Autowerke intercooler
- Active Autowerke charge pipe
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 05:43 AM   #2
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

dinan shockware is an option, improves what you have instead of replacing
      05-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
Im a bit confused to how that would help? If i lower the car, does shockware adjust the them to allow for the difference in ride height? Ultimately i dont want to blow them, will this prevent that or at the least lengthen the time till they do? I also cant seem to find it for my f32, f30 n 34 😕
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by a404freedom View Post
Quote:
Im a bit confused to how that would help? If i lower the car, does shockware adjust the them to allow for the difference in ride height? Ultimately i dont want to blow them, will this prevent that or at the least lengthen the time till they do? I also cant seem to find it for my f32, f30 n 34
Shockware increases the firmness of the adaptive dampers in comfort and sport. People who have it say that comfort now feels like sport mode used to, and that sport mode is firmer than before. Supposedly this pairs well with lower, stiffer springs, but I don't know personally. If you do lowering springs and shockware, Dinan says you are also supposed to install shorter bump stops, since you would be riding closer to the stock stops all the time. I was planning to go that route a while back but decided against it for the amount of $ spent. It seems like a one size fits all solution since they apply the same shockware software to many different models of the f3x. Doesn't seem ideal for any one model....
There are a lot of threads about Dinan springs and shockware on here if you search, though most of the opinions are subjective as they are only comparing to their previous setup or whatever car they used to drive.
      05-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #5
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Im a bit confused to how that would help? If i lower the car, does shockware adjust the them to allow for the difference in ride height? Ultimately i dont want to blow them, will this prevent that or at the least lengthen the time till they do? I also cant seem to find it for my f32, f30 n 34
Shockware increases the firmness of the adaptive dampers in comfort and sport. People who have it say that comfort now feels like sport mode used to, and that sport mode is firmer than before. Supposedly this pairs well with lower, stiffer springs, but I don't know personally. If you do lowering springs and shockware, Dinan says you are also supposed to install shorter bump stops, since you would be riding closer to the stock stops all the time. I was planning to go that route a while back but decided against it for the amount of $ spent. It seems like a one size fits all solution since they apply the same shockware software to many different models of the f3x. Doesn't seem ideal for any one model....
There are a lot of threads about Dinan springs and shockware on here if you search, though most of the opinions are subjective as they are only comparing to their previous setup or whatever car they used to drive.
That is very hep, thank you! As it stands (literally), ive got the H&R SS and the Shockware ordered. Are there specific bumpstops i should be looking for?
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #6
bajis
Bmwbeej
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
That is very hep, thank you! As it stands (literally), ive got the H&R SS and the Shockware ordered. Are there specific bumpstops i should be looking for?
e36/39/e60 bumpstops or the dinan kit
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #7
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajis View Post
Quote:
Thank you a ton brotha
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you a ton brotha
In there a preference? Could you recommend a site or a link? Sorry, kinda new to this
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #9
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you a ton brotha
In there a preference? Could you recommend a site or a link? Sorry, kinda new to this
Dinan sells what they call the supplementary handling kit. It's a set of OEM bump stops from other bmws that are smaller than our stock stops. I believe they can be had cheaper by purchasing directly. Here's a snap of the thread where a guy gave that info. Don't ask me to find the thread, I took the screen shot at the time, but you can probably find it if you search.
Attached Images

05-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #10
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you a ton brotha
Dinan sells what they call the supplementary handling kit. It's a set of OEM bump stops from other bmws that are smaller than our stock stops. I believe they can be had cheaper by purchasing directly. Here's a snap of the thread where a guy gave that info. Don't ask me to find the thread, I took the screen shot at the time, but you can probably find it if you search.
Bueno bueno, ive checked dinan's website and ive come up with this:

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D193-3201

At the end of the day id prefer the whole suspension to be wrapped up in one install. Id imagine these would be the best bet? Im obviously going lower than the Dinan springs so i wanna be sure these can handle the difference in drop.
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:48 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Shocks & Springs

Quote:
I bought some H&R SS for my 2016 435 m-sport with EDC. It has about 42,000 miles with the current setup, I can't imagine lowering it an inch will serve my shocks well, or am I overthinking? I've searched for shocks that support edc online but GODDAMN they are freaking expensive! That snd the fact i dont want to lose EDC is specifically why i didnt go coilovers. What are my options here? It's clear that as soon as I install the springs the warranty covering the suspension is toast. What am I missing here? I cant believe that all edc accepting shocks start at $300 per. Thanks!
You shouldn't have an issue with Adaptives lowering an inch. It's the standard shocks that get destroyed because they don't have enough travel after lowering. My buddy has the same car that you do and he went with Eibach springs a year ago. He said that he would never give up his Adaptives.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:53 PM   #12
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
You shouldn't have an issue with Adaptives lowering an inch. It's the standard shocks that get destroyed because they don't have enough travel after lowering. My buddy has the same car that you do and he went with Eibach springs a year ago. He said that he would never give up his Adaptives.
Much appreciated. I did get the Shockware which id image wouldn't hurt. I really hesitate just replacing stuff. I loveeeee the edc! I think it's one of the best compliments to the car. Throwing on coils i think in the end is just a stand alone mistake. I like it as little suspension changes as possible. Performance wise, the bitch is a sleeper...no one has to know 😉
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 12:32 AM   #13
bajis
Bmwbeej
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Much appreciated. I did get the Shockware which id image wouldn't hurt. I really hesitate just replacing stuff. I loveeeee the edc! I think it's one of the best compliments to the car. Throwing on coils i think in the end is just a stand alone mistake. I like it as little suspension changes as possible. Performance wise, the bitch is a sleeper...no one has to know 😉
PREACH
Appreciate 0