F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Questions on mods like BM3 and effects on engine life
Extreme Powerhouse

06-02-2020, 05:01 PM   #23
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzBmer_N2o View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Make sure that your maintenance is all up to date. Install BootMod3 Stage1. It's made to work within stock engine parameters. Has a free automatic transmission tune included.

It's a smooth powerful factory like tune. Great bang for the buck!

At 60k miles I would drain/suction and replace fluids for rear differential, automatic transmission, for xDrive the front differential and transfer case. Use ZF auto transmission service kit. Get a high performance dropin air filter such as aFe Pro Dry, washable & reusable. Also stock spark plugs. (Change plugs every 30k with a Stage1 tune) Get parts from FCP Euro and get an independent BMW mechanic to do them all at once.

Have fun!
Sorry to bump the OP, regarding the Diff's, does the X-drives have all three (i.e. Front, Rear and Transfer Case).
Yes
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #24
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Make sure that your maintenance is all up to date. Install BootMod3 Stage1. It's made to work within stock engine parameters. Has a free automatic transmission tune included.

At 60k miles I would drain/suction and replace fluids for rear differential, automatic transmission, for xDrive the front differential and transfer case. Use ZF auto transmission service kit. Get a high performance dropin air filter such as aFe Pro Dry, washable & reusable. Also stock spark plugs. (Change plugs every 30k with a Stage1 tune) Get parts from FCP Euro and get an independent BMW mechanic to do them all at once.

Have fun!
Sorry to bump the OP, regarding the Diff's, does the X-drives have all three (i.e. Front, Rear and Transfer Case).
Yes
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have fun!
Yes
Oh man, that is alot of fluids to address..I should have gotten just the RWD nxt time..
      06-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #25
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have fun!
Yes
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have fun!
Yes
Oh man, that is alot of fluids to address..I should have gotten just the RWD nxt time..
Nah, the transmission is the most difficult procedure and most expensive kit.

The xDrive front differential takes 1/2 liter and transfer case 1 liter. Just suction and refill.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #26
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have fun!
Yes
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have fun!
Yes

The xDrive front differential takes 1/2 liter and transfer case 1 liter. Just suction and refill.
Isn't the transfer case behind some things
      06-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #27
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have fun!
Yes
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have fun!
Yes

Isn't the transfer case behind some things
Don't attempt to completely drain the transfer case. That would take a lot of work. Just suction and refill.

Automatic transmission requires dropping and replacing pan and filter plus doing a specific temperature fill procedure. See newtis website
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 05:06 AM   #28
alcuin
Rep
Drives: 435i

for me, one of the things that doesn't make me comfortable is the jump of torque numbers.

a normal B58 has an output of 326 bhp and 450Nm.
a stage 1 is 400-420 bhp and 580-620Nm

if you look at the curve, you can see it is not necessary to push the torque so high, just with 480-500Nm you'll be able to see 420 bhp at 6000rpm.

that's why I prefer a custom map instead of a generic one.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:36 AM   #29
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

I would never use an OTS tune again

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:16 PM   #30
ArmyNurseRN
Plank eyed saint
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcuin View Post
for me, one of the things that doesn't make me comfortable is the jump of torque numbers.

a normal B58 has an output of 326 bhp and 450Nm.
a stage 1 is 400-420 bhp and 580-620Nm

if you look at the curve, you can see it is not necessary to push the torque so high, just with 480-500Nm you'll be able to see 420 bhp at 6000rpm.

that's why I prefer a custom map instead of a generic one.
I similarly feel comfortable with a tune that is similar, if not identical, to the tune that comes with the MPPSK, which is about 370 whp and 370 ft/lbs.

The BMW engineers have designed that tune specifically for that engine and stock components, so that is peace of mind knowing those components can handle that power gain. But we must all identify that even with manufacturer specific upgrades, it still will degrade the engine at a faster rate.

Mo power, mo problems.
Appreciate 0