F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BimmerCode vs Carly Connect
Studio RSR

08-21-2018, 02:10 AM   #265
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudxpack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
Wait until your v gate arrives. Then check coding possibilities. It may be disabled as default. It would be impossible for your car to not have a Comfort Access System (CAS) unit (aka ECU). Report back.
Thank you, I will see tomorrow when thevgate arrives and report back here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
I believe close is disabled on U.S. models, but it can be coded easily. However, I had thought it required comfort access. (KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB)
I'm hoping this is not the case and there is a coding work around, as I'm pretty sure my car does not have comfort access (Its a 2017 2nd Gen X3 F25, there are no "ridges" though on my door handles.

Thank you guys for the replies
You don't need the ridges on the handles for window closure. Where in AZ? I used to live in Scotsdale a long time ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #266
loudxpack
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 ZCP, x3mc

Quote:
You don't need the ridges on the handles for window closure. Where in AZ? I used to live in Scotsdale a long time ago.
I'm in North tucson, I'm willing to make a drive to get things correct.

Here is basically what happened today for me, not very successfull

Link to my thread : https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1527669

My post from the thread :

Quote:
Alright so here is todays run down

First off, I believe I may have purchased the wrong vgate

The one I bought was this (the "mini" version) although, i was still able to connect to my car and read the ECUs from bimmercode : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I believe I needed this one instead : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3F2UU8IZ3AFBC

All in all, it seemed like a pretty big let down. The ONLY code I could get to work was to close the rear gate from my fob, while nothing else worked.

Here is an image of my ECUs

According to the bimmercode website, I beleived I would have access to the following :

Air conditioning, Alarm system, Ambient lighting, Angel eyes, Audio, Comfort opening/closing, Daytime driving lights, Display options instrument cluster, Display options multimedia system, Driving Dynamics Mode, Fuel, HUD, Indicators, Lighting, Mirrors, Other, PDC, Range, extender, Rear view camera, Seat heating, Seatbelt reminder, Side view camera, Sport displays, Start Stop function, Tailgate, Video, Wash-Wipe System, Welcome Light
Windows/Doors

After just trying to add the "digital speed in board computer" on the instrument cluster, and applying the code, I get a "Instrument panel malfunction" error on the car display and instrument cluster

I tried a few more codes after that, such as "Instrument cluster start logo" and they all give me the same errors - 'instrument panel malfunction'

I used the bimmerlink app to clear all errors, and basically revert back to the original settings.

I'm not looking to do much technical coding, just a few things here and there such as :
- Close mirros from FOB (yes I have the mirror button close on my inside driver door panel, NO my car does not have comfort access)
- Open Mirrors from FOB
- Digital speed gauge on instrument cluster
- M Start up animation
- DVD / TV while driving
- Turn fogs on from welcome unlock
- Disable auto start / off

Another thing I noticed, was that my temperature gauge was out of the roof! Showing 122 degrees F

I apologize for the very long reply, and I am new to coding, but just to code a few basic things.

If ANYONE can please help or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
At this point, I may just try to find someone local to help me and the pay them. (I'm in Tucson AZ btw, if anyone here knows someone or can be of assistance)

Do I need to go to BMW to get a firmware or computer update? I'm not really sure at this point.

If there is another place I should post this or another forum please let me know

Thank you to anyone who read this entire reply, as I know it was a mouth full lol

Replies are greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance to any responses.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:10 AM   #267
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm in North tucson, I'm willing to make a drive to get things correct.

Here is basically what happened today for me, not very successfull

Link to my thread : https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1527669

My post from the thread :

Quote:
Alright so here is todays run down

First off, I believe I may have purchased the wrong vgate

The one I bought was this (the "mini" version) although, i was still able to connect to my car and read the ECUs from bimmercode : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I believe I needed this one instead : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3F2UU8IZ3AFBC

All in all, it seemed like a pretty big let down. The ONLY code I could get to work was to close the rear gate from my fob, while nothing else worked.

Here is an image of my ECUs

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

According to the bimmercode website, I beleived I would have access to the following :

Air conditioning, Alarm system, Ambient lighting, Angel eyes, Audio, Comfort opening/closing, Daytime driving lights, Display options instrument cluster, Display options multimedia system, Driving Dynamics Mode, Fuel, HUD, Indicators, Lighting, Mirrors, Other, PDC, Range, extender, Rear view camera, Seat heating, Seatbelt reminder, Side view camera, Sport displays, Start Stop function, Tailgate, Video, Wash-Wipe System, Welcome Light
Windows/Doors

After just trying to add the "digital speed in board computer" on the instrument cluster, and applying the code, I get a "Instrument panel malfunction" error on the car display and instrument cluster

I tried a few more codes after that, such as "Instrument cluster start logo" and they all give me the same errors - 'instrument panel malfunction'

I used the bimmerlink app to clear all errors, and basically revert back to the original settings.

I'm not looking to do much technical coding, just a few things here and there such as :
- Close mirros from FOB (yes I have the mirror button close on my inside driver door panel, NO my car does not have comfort access)
- Open Mirrors from FOB
- Digital speed gauge on instrument cluster
- M Start up animation
- DVD / TV while driving
- Turn fogs on from welcome unlock
- Disable auto start / off

Another thing I noticed, was that my temperature gauge was out of the roof! Showing 122 degrees F

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

I apologize for the very long reply, and I am new to coding, but just to code a few basic things.

If ANYONE can please help or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
At this point, I may just try to find someone local to help me and the pay them. (I'm in Tucson AZ btw, if anyone here knows someone or can be of assistance)

Do I need to go to BMW to get a firmware or computer update? I'm not really sure at this point.

If there is another place I should post this or another forum please let me know

Thank you to anyone who read this entire reply, as I know it was a mouth full lol

Replies are greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance to any responses.
You are correct. This is the one required for ios:

https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Elm327-.../dp/B01FU5MVI8

You can only code FDL with the app. If the option you want is not listed then use expert mode. This may come in handy:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8&d=1435767715

While you are at it:
- code the delay time so un/fold is pretty much instant when you hit un/lock on the fob.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #268
loudxpack
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You can only code FDL with the app. If the option you want is not listed then use expert mode. This may come in handy:

While you are at it:
- code the delay time so un/fold is pretty much instant when you hit un/lock on the fob.
Thank you, new vgate is on the way, will try again tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #269
loudxpack
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

While you are at it:
Hey that second link seems dead, I'm trying to figure out how to message you but I am new here, lol. if you could please PM me
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #270
loudxpack
Private
United_States
Rep

updates, vgate icar2 came today, + bimmercode app (x3 f25)

Got the mirrors to open and close on keyfob (had to use the export mode and adjust some values)

I believe the M start up animation is working as well

For a minute here, my head unit and navigation control wheel / menu buttons, etc didn't work and that had me worried. after a hard shut down and waiting for 10 minutes I started up and everything was functioning fine. cleared all errors with bimmerlink

still working on the digital speedometer on dash, and DVD / TV in motion

Question - What exactly does deactivating the disclaimers do? What benefits will this give me?

Thanks all for the info,

Regards
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      08-24-2018, 03:00 AM   #271
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
updates, vgate icar2 came today, + bimmercode app (x3 f25)

Got the mirrors to open and close on keyfob (had to use the export mode and adjust some values)

I believe the M start up animation is working as well

For a minute here, my head unit and navigation control wheel / menu buttons, etc didn't work and that had me worried. after a hard shut down and waiting for 10 minutes I started up and everything was functioning fine. cleared all errors with bimmerlink

still working on the digital speedometer on dash, and DVD / TV in motion

Question - What exactly does deactivating the disclaimers do? What benefits will this give me?

Thanks all for the info,

Regards
Disclaimers are things like 'not to use the video' when driving or 'never rely solely on the cameras.'

Good to read it is sorted. Enjoy. Feel free to use the appreciate button.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2018, 07:13 PM   #272
SW6Steve
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Is there anyway of extending the time door handle and interior lights stay on?
At the moment I unlock the car, put something into the boot, and the door handle lights and interior lights have gone off way before I can get into the car. It's literally 10 to 15 seconds before they go off!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #273
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I've just bought a Vgate iCar 2 as I'm interested in all the diagnostic and sensor monitoring available in BimmerLink, but as it's £26 I was wondering if there are any decent free or at least a lot cheaper alternative apps?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 06:58 AM   #274
jcdub
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I've just bought a Vgate iCar 2 as I'm interested in all the diagnostic and sensor monitoring available in BimmerLink, but as it's £26 I was wondering if there are any decent free or at least a lot cheaper alternative apps?
It's great value at £26, it's a one off fee. Carly is an annual subscription.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 07:09 AM   #275
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdub View Post
Quote:
It's great value at £26, it's a one off fee. Carly is an annual subscription.
I was also considering buying BimmerCode though, so £52 for both is quite a lot
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 07:25 AM   #276
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Can anyone remember which one Darth Helmut uses on his iPad? I can't ask him as he's banned!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #277
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I was also considering buying BimmerCode though, so £52 for both is quite a lot
If you're ever in Lincoln then you can log in to Bimmercode with mine
      09-02-2018, 11:01 AM   #278
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

My 2 pence, as I use both :

Carly is much better for diagnostics and some functionality like forced DPF regens.

BimmerCode is much better for ease of coding - I find it more intuitive but the main plus is that it reads the ECUs and carries out the coding more quickly.

Unfortunately they use different OBD dongles so if you want the best of both worlds you have to buy both software and both dongles.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #279
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Carly is much better for diagnostics and some functionality like forced DPF regens.

BimmerCode is much better for ease of coding - I find it more intuitive but the main plus is that it reads the ECUs and carries out the coding more quickly.

Unfortunately they use different OBD dongles so if you want the best of both worlds you have to buy both software and both dongles.
When you say better diagnostics and regen do you mean compared to the BimmerLink App? I guess you can't do those things at all on BimmerCode?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #280
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Helmut View Post
Just got myself Bimmercode yesterday and initial thoughts are it's very good, easy to use and reversible if a code doesn't take or the car doesn't like it. Not tried expert mode yet.
How much does it all set you back?
      09-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #281
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Helmut View Post
Just got myself Bimmercode yesterday and initial thoughts are it's very good, easy to use and reversible if a code doesn't take or the car doesn't like it. Not tried expert mode yet.
How much does it all set you back?
He'a banned mate!

The adapter is £18 & BimmerCode is £26

I just coded a few things, it is bloody brilliant, so much quicker and easier than using e-sys!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      09-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #282
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

When you say better diagnostics and regen do you mean compared to the BimmerLink App? I guess you can't do those things at all on BimmerCode?
BimmerCode versus Carly. I'm not using BimmerLink.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #283
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BimmerCode versus Carly. I'm not using BimmerLink.
I just tried out bimmerlink, it seems very good! Carly is £50 a year for coding and diagnostics, Bimmercode for coding is £26 for life and bimmerlink for diagnostics is £26 for life.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #284
Iyrix
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d & 335i

Is anyone using BimmerLink for Exhaust Flap control? I was looking to buy it just for this...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #285
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque of the Devil View Post
I've had Bimmercode a few days now and it's brilliant, managed to code all the things I want like ASS Off, Door handles lights on reverse, digital speed display, tyre temperatures, M Sport Displays etc

Has anyone played around with the acoustic alarm settings, like millisecond settings and frequency, they don't seem to be very different, I'd just like a low, fairly quiet tone
when you did the speedo digital display did you get any errors mine is coming up with a display error saying date needs reset consult dealer the digital speed isn't there also the service indicator is missing
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #286
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
when you did the speedo digital display did you get any errors mine is coming up with a display error saying date needs reset consult dealer the digital speed isn't there also the service indicator is missing
Sounds like it didn’t code properly, so you should probably restore the original coding from the backup.
Appreciate 0