F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Pretty sure I'm going to non RFs!
Extreme Powerhouse

03-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
Adybaby
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

Pretty sure I'm going to non RFs!

Although BMW are looking at the cabin noise issue on weds, I am pretty sure that I will end up with non RFs, unless they give me a better option (i.e quieter RFs) maybe GY efficient which seem to be quieter than others. If I go non RFs who has done this, do BMW have a problem with it, and will a tin of gunk suffice to get me home?? (My insurance company have said it is fine as long as I keep the tyres same size)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3

I still own my 2004 M3 that I bought new which came with non run-flats and the BMW Mobility kit. It has never been a problem yet. I've had 2 or 3 flats only, and each time the TPMS sensors picked up the slow leak and I managed to get to a tire repair shop before getting too low on air. I never even used my factory Mobility kit going on 10 years.
If I got a blow out, that would have happened if I had run flats too.

For this reason I have decided to switch to non-runflats on my F31 once factory tires wear out. Do a search and you find many others do this and carry either the BMW Mobility kit or a slime kit in the trunk. I bought the slime kit recently for my F31 which comes in a small box with built in gauge and goo can which I hope to not ever use.

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I do run non-RF and I don't even have a flat kit. The only time I've had a flat in my life is when I got stupid and drove in a construction site... It was a nail.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Nitrous Garage
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / E92 328i / E60 550i

I have never sold a RF tire to a BMW owner unless is was just a replacement. I have done the same with my BMWs. The car will run a lot smoother, you will have better handing, grip, MPG and list goes on. Only down side is you can not run on a flat tire but you can always get a repair kit or call BMW assist or AAA
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Adybaby
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Garage View Post
I have never sold a RF tire to a BMW owner unless is was just a replacement. I have done the same with my BMWs. The car will run a lot smoother, you will have better handing, grip, MPG and list goes on. Only down side is you can not run on a flat tire but you can always get a repair kit or call BMW assist or AAA
Yep - I hear that a lot, I will see how honest my dealer is on weds and take it from there, but I don't for one minute think he will say 'change to non RFs' so it will be my decision on the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adybaby View Post
Yep - I hear that a lot, I will see how honest my dealer is on weds and take it from there, but I don't for one minute think he will say 'change to non RFs' so it will be my decision on the end.
You got that right. My dealer accessory guy was shocked that I turned down the $2000 tire insurance coverage that pays for itself. I told him that I planned to ditch run-flats and he looked at me like I had 3 eyes.

F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 0