F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Scheduled Maintenance - tire rotation?
proTUNING Freaks

03-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Monaco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jaguar XF Portfolio Sport

Scheduled Maintenance - tire rotation?

Can someone please confirm that tire rotation is NOT included in routine scheduled maintenance?

It seems silly that BMW would fail to include such a simple procedure as part of the complimentary maintenance, but I suppose rotating the tires only helps the owner's pocket book in terms of having to purchase tires less frequently, and therefore does nothing to preserve the residual value of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco View Post
Can someone please confirm that tire rotation is NOT included in routine scheduled maintenance?

It seems silly that BMW would fail to include such a simple procedure as part of the complimentary maintenance, but I suppose rotating the tires only helps the owner's pocket book in terms of having to purchase tires less frequently, and therefore does nothing to preserve the residual value of the car.
That's true - anything tire related is not including in BMWs MP. Reasoning: BMW has many models that have staggered wheel sizes. Their MP is better than most if not all other manufacturers available or standard MPs.
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Monaco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jaguar XF Portfolio Sport

Thanks. So what do most folks do for tire rotation? Discount Tire? Pay the dealer? Skip it?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco View Post
Thanks. So what do most folks do for tire rotation? Discount Tire? Pay the dealer? Skip it?
Well, I swap my tires out in the winter so when they put my summers back on, they rotate them for me - I have no complaints with my service center. I personally wouldn't pay the dealership to do a rotation if you don't have staggered wheels... you can get it cheaper at a Conrads or other tire center. If you ever have them do an alignment, see if your center will throw in a rotation for free.
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
BMW recommends not to rotate even on square set-ups. Another forum someone linked this in the manual. I know it goes against what we were taught all these years.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
ardyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 320xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
BMW recommends not to rotate even on square set-ups. Another forum someone linked this in the manual. I know it goes against what we were taught all these years.
I punctured one of my run flats and when I was looking in the manual I noticed that too. I also noticed that the tire warranty for the Pirellis that BMW put on my car requires regular rotation!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardyer View Post
I punctured one of my run flats and when I was looking in the manual I noticed that too. I also noticed that the tire warranty for the Pirellis that BMW put on my car requires regular rotation!

Yah I never heard anything bad about rotating square set-ups. I was shocked to see BMW going against decades of practice. If I had a squared set I would rotate. Just front to back not crossed.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Easiest way to rotate tires if you have the space...

Buy a jack, torque wrench and give it a go on your own...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
fijigabe0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport

I've had five BMW's since 2006. The only one I ever rotated the tires on was the first one (330xi). It was also the only one that wore out all four tires within 20k miles. What I've done since is just leave the tires be. They'll sort themselves out. Amazingly, they've all worn evenly, and been replaced just before returning the lease.

'13 335i M-Sport

Past - '06 330xi, '07 X3 3.0si, '09 328i, '12 X3 XDrive 35i
Appreciate 0