F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New windscreen time
ARMA SPEED

10-27-2020, 04:58 AM   #1
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

New windscreen time

Apart from the usual road rash now have a 200mm long crack thanks to a flying object! so replacement screen on the way.

I used to have the grey shade band top tint in my last car and found it very good at doing what it was supposed to do, so asked if they could replace the current screen for one with the shade band. Seems as I have heads up display they cant fit a screen with a top tint.

Just wondered if there is anything special about a screen if you have HUD, after all the tint is at the very top nowhere near the display? or has anyone else changed to a top tint with screen options?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 05:08 AM   #2
jenshb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport

The windscreen for a HUD has a "wedge" to it to prevent a double image. The majority of the light from a HUD is reflected off the inner surface of the glass, but some light travels through the glass and is reflected off the outer surface too, and this would cause a double image. Having a wedge sandwiched between the two layers of the windscreen causes the light to "break" so that the two images will overlap as seen from the drivers' eyes.

Don't know why the grey band can't be added to a wedged windscreen - production issues perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 05:25 AM   #3
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenshb View Post
The windscreen for a HUD has a "wedge" to it to prevent a double image. The majority of the light from a HUD is reflected off the inner surface of the glass, but some light travels through the glass and is reflected off the outer surface too, and this would cause a double image. Having a wedge sandwiched between the two layers of the windscreen causes the light to "break" so that the two images will overlap as seen from the drivers' eyes.

Don't know why the grey band can't be added to a wedged windscreen - production issues perhaps?
Ah many thanks for that, very knowledgable.

Just thought I was being fobbed off but obviously not. Seems I'll maybe have to think about getting the shadeband retro fitted by the window tint people?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #4
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

I remember this from when I originally ordered my car. It didn't say why, but you couldn't select a top tint if you selected the HUD.
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2119.00
      10-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #5
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenshb View Post

Why no grey shade and HUD? I suspect it is a minority option stacked onto a minority option. They feed the take rate of both options and if the output is too low, computer says no.
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2119.00
      10-27-2020, 08:57 AM   #6
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Yeah, they probably want to reduce complexity, the take rate of HUD + band would be too small so as NISFAN says, not worth it.
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2119.00